HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

More 'Flexy' parts experiments. ;)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/17/17 6:48 PM

More 'Flexy' parts experiments. ;)

OK, happy with the P6 High-Flex post. It made a difference IME similar to bigger tires and less pressures. So add them together, a cumulative net gain in theory. One I am happy to take on a truss like the 2016 Madone.

Phase two, most flexy carbon bars? The stiffest carbon bars tests I spied with my little eye showed a clear looser on the stiffest bars tests. 'Control Tech TUX Handlebars' with near 6mm of deflection and the clear looser by a good margin.

But cheapest price I could find them for was 160.00. $180.00 for the P6 had me pausing to double that without trying other parts of the equation. So I got a FSA stem that also was the clear looser in some stem stiffness reviews.

Ordered the $41.00 clearance FSA OS-99 CSI Carbon Stem, 7050 Alloy with a carbon wrap.
[I also had a carbon wrapped stem on Addict, now on a another bike which I want to put back. The beefier Alloy Scott Stem seems like a change to the harsher side] These stupid light stems do flex more than the Stovepipe EA90.

The current bars are Easton EC90 SLX, and a EA90 Alloy Stem. The stem is pretty fat, so targeted this first. The EC90/SLX bars were new with the build [400 miles ago and high end], non cheap Fizik tape... Did not want to redo all that so close to just done. Easton claims engineered Flex in the taperwall bars.

Just did a quick 30 miles while we approached 60^ and I do notice a buffer from this stem. But not nearly as much as the P6 post. Again, net gains in comfort-esque road feel. I even let a little air out of my tires last 10 miles, from 80/87 to who know what? psssss. 75/80 maybe? I could check I suppose. ;) Slight difference, maybe about the same as the stem change but not as noticeable as the seatpost change.

Moral of the story is I had to let the Domane RSL 10% coupon expire. So I won't be getting added cushy that way, at least for now..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

2/17/17 7:52 PM

Just get a used Domane for 70% off. :(

Sparky

2/17/17 8:40 PM

Tried the ones with the rear only de-coupler, pass.

I want the US made Project One RSL or Nada. ;) Not doing the endurance GEOM.

I'll get it, or at least a frameset. Gimme until late 2017, your see. ;) I'll suffer along with the HMX Addict with Di2 11s for now. But I want a damn caddy!

Hard not to appreciate the Project 4 Madone for a few less dollars though... A also am not doing one of the Domane's with the flat black paint, sales on those are the super lax GEOM anyway.

Maybe I can break the Madone and upgrade on warranty service. ;)

Brian Nystrom

2/18/17 7:13 AM

I would imagine...

...that the P6 post produces a very similar effect to the original Domane, a cushy feel at the saddle, but unbalanced front-to-rear. I'm not a fan of flexy stems (or steerer tubes on forks), as they compromise handling, especially at high speeds and during sprints, when you really need the control. They also feel like they're sapping your efforts when you're out of the saddle and climbing hard.

As for bars, I would suggest that you look at alloy bars rather than carbon. Most carbon bars I've tried flexing - even some 26mm bars I have - feel essentially dead rigid. In contrast, most alloy bars seem to have at least some degree of flexibility. They're also dramatically cheaper, typically 1/3 the cost of carbon or even less, so you can afford to experiment somewhat. My current favorite is the 3TTT Ergosum Pro (a compact design, ~$60), but you may prefer a different shape. I also have a pair of Specialized shallow bend bars that are slightly flattened on top, but I find that I actually prefer the feel of round bar tops.

There's a lot of hype about carbon's ability to damp vibrations, but it's mostly BS when it comes to bars. A stiff bar will not damp vibration, regardless of whether it's carbon, aluminum or gas pipe. It's nice to see that some companies are building bars specifically designed to reduce vibrations, but unfortunately they're pretty pricey.

FWIW, I always double-wrap my bars, as I have fairly large hands and find the larger diameter to be more comfortable. Of course, the extra cushioning helps too, without sacrificing steering control.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/18/17 2:18 PM

"I always double-wrap my bars"

I tried that, with and without gel pads et al. I also have huge hands FWIW. In fact the last setup is what I pulled off the Addict for the Di2. Those bars are sitting atop my toolbox gelled/2x taped, flightdeck, Dura Ace STis since. ;)

What I like is thin and smooth, and even like riding sans gloves. I seem to grip softer and wind up with less pressure points. I just would rather have some hand covering so a crash has my knuckles/skin with some protection. Or rather an additional layer to wear through before the skins turn. ;)

I did some Nashbar carbon bars for the short 65mm reach and popped them on the Addict when I did the DI2. With Fizik 3mm which is my latest fav since early 2016. I wonder who actually make them...

The Bars have a wing shaped top with a concave recess for cables under the bottom. The longer bigger radius along the ellipsis of the tops has added comfort for me, accidentally discovered.

I also like the smaller diameter AL bars on my Reynolds 753 bike. I seem to have a light touch and change hand position more.

Yada!

I have not had any bike except the Merckx EX that I have not had high confidence bombing anything. Probably more a component of years of flapping like a flag behind Moto-CX handlebars and somehow staying on. ;)

The Merckx had a long 1" carbon steerer Look fork. I had Carl make an ELOS fork and it moved the problem to a different place on the main frame it seemed. This coming from a once fearless descender.

Sparky

2/18/17 2:29 PM

"P6 post produces a very similar effect to the original Domane, a cushy feel at the saddle"

More like lower air pressure in the tire in my minds butt. I wish more if it stuck out on the Madone so it could flex more to see how that feels.

BTW, having ridden Domanes with the rear only ISO, I would agree... To a degree. :)

But add to a lesser degree; the front and back of the Madone [with P6] do not have the huge difference in feel as the way I remember and being the reason I disliked the early Domanes. Circa 2012 IIRC.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -