Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dan's non excellent adventure
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/30/17 5:08 PM

Different process

What you went through sounds like what I went through with my hip replacement- weightbearing as tolerated, walking early was good as long as it didn't hurt.

This is different. I have 3 big cracks that have to heal and are held in place with a plate and 2 screws. I can easily put more weight on it than I'm supposed to, without significant pain, and in fact it's easier to do that, but that will impede the healing. So walking early is the last thing I want to do. I don't walk unassisted until they look at an x-ray and tell me I can do it.

I am highly motivated because I was scared to death I wouldn't get full use of the leg back with the factors - previous replacement, bad cracks, excruciating pain with any movement, and like many cyclists I have some osteoporosis (fortunately the cracked bone was good). One doc described the force to me as like my femur being hit with a baseball bat.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/17 5:10 PM

Isn't some of the point of PT also to head off tissue adhesion? I'd sure be on the phone with the doc to get the go ahead for the trainer ASAP.

My own experience from the cracked ribs and collar bone fractures was sooner paid off. I may have pushed it though. The tib/fib I wish I had, I became a non cyclist for a while after that.

Also, the trainer is a lot less load bearing as compared to walking, no? Maybe sooner will be the ticket as long as you keep load low, etc. ??

Anyway, conversations to have with the doc when the time arrives, shortly I hope. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

1/30/17 5:33 PM

PT

I have plenty of PT. I am nowhere close to being able to get on or pedal a bike, and have no desire to do so at present. I have a friend who is a lunatic cyclist and went through a similar injury with the same doc, and couldn't use the trainer until about 6 weeks. He rode up Mt. Washington after 3 months.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/17 5:47 PM

So is the Segafredo beast sitting in plain view from your convalescing perch? ;)

dfcas

1/30/17 6:01 PM

That would be cruel and unusual torture.

Sparky

1/30/17 6:18 PM

I wouldn't be able to keep my eye off it. ;)

If that team paint wasn't 500.00 more it would be of consideration color wise for my RSL consideration.

I put the Di2 climber switch on the Addict last night. Forgot I bought it and saw it cleaning up.
It sure seems like I am going to appreciate and like it to shift the rear from the tops. Considering the carbon bars I put on are comfy top I found. A bit wing shaped et al.

But did not get close to nice enough to go out, so the CT got some attention with the Six13 . Which has been sitting on it for the duration. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 1/30/17 6:24 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

1/30/17 6:22 PM

No

It's at the (new) LBS. I still have to go in for final setup.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

1/30/17 8:27 PM

to get on or pedal a bike, and have no desire to do so at present

I will buy that bridge only if you have the deed with mayor Teddy Roosevelt's signature!

The irony must be your desire to stay off the bike is even greater.

Brian Nystrom

1/31/17 6:08 AM

Dan, I wasn't suggesting that you put any weight on your leg

What I was wondering is if light, slow spinning on the trainer using your good leg to turn the cranks might help with recovering your range of motion. You're correct that my hip injury was quite different, from either of yours actually. They screwed my hip back together rather than replacing it, so I couldn't do any real weight bearing for several weeks, unlike with an implant where they get you to do some almost immediately. Your current injury is unlike anything I've experienced, so I guess my musings are more about curiosity and learning than actually suggesting anything.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/31/17 6:58 AM

Curiosity

Yeah I'm curious too, it's day to day. I'm just going to follow the doc's office instructions, and thus far no one has suggested early spinning, and the PA (who knows what he's doing) said 6 weeks, and my friend followed that with good results. I'm not going to worry about it unless I really feel I can spin, which is not the case now. It is a cool office. The doc is a strong cyclist, and meeting with the nurse we got to talking about basketball and it turned out she played at a Div I School and then as a pro in Europe.

I just registered for D2R2 (long mystery ride) to keep me thinking cycling. I'm hoping to be pretty strong by August.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/4/17 4:39 PM

Report from the LBS

A friend called today from the LBS and asked if he could bring the bike to my house. I said I'd just as soon keep it there until final setup, unless it was taking up space and they'd rather have it out of there. He said he didn't think that was a problem as it was rather prominently displayed. So I don't feel too bad about leaving it there.

My hip is coming along pretty well, drove into work for a few hours Friday, can't wait to get on the bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/4/17 9:34 PM

"My hip is coming along pretty well, drove into work for a few hours Friday,"

Just using regular old crutches? Glad to hear you hit the ground crutching. ;)

"can't wait to get on the bike."

I hear you, even if I don't wind up with the RSL 6 SLR until late in the year...

My Madone has 5-6 rides on it, and the Scott upgraded to 11s & Di2 [new wheels and carbon bars] with 3-4 rides are both new toys pretty much. Recently the Madone got the P6 HighFlex Post and the Di2 got a 'Climber Switch' on the handlebars with only short test rides since these upgrades.

I watched American Flyers today, goofy as it is and all. I felt like crying it made me want to ride so bad.

2016 was the first year in a decade I approached 4000 miles. I had been getting 2 seasons outta tires previous, something I am not proud of. ;(

dan emery

2/5/17 5:09 AM

Crutchin'

Yeah I'm almost entirely on crutches now. The walker is cumbersome and if I leave the house I need to do stairs, so I need crutches for those, so if I also use a walker I need another person to carry the walker up/down stairs.

Fortunately my car is the first auto I've ever owned, so I don't need my busted left leg for a clutch.

I feel like when I do get back on the bike I'll be highly motivated to get into good shape.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/7/17 1:25 PM

No spinning for me

Since my leg feels pretty good I determined that I can get on the Computrainer, and through pushing with the good leg, that my bad leg can move through the pedaling range of motion without pain.

So I called the Doc's office and asked if I could spin with low resistance. As I expected they said no, wait until we see the X-ray in 3 weeks. From her voice I could see her eyes rolling.....

The ROM speaks to the muscles, but the bigger issue is the bone healing which necessitates the vey limited weightbearing.

But the good thing is I know that when I can start, I can ride pain free with a regular pedaling motion.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/7/17 1:55 PM

Chomping at the bit. ;)

daddy-o

2/7/17 6:07 PM

Chomping at the bit. ;)

Seriously!

You're obviously in need of a support group, talk to this guy:

"I have a friend who is a lunatic cyclist and went through a similar injury with the same doc, and couldn't use the trainer until about 6 weeks. He rode up Mt. Washington after 3 months."

You're looking at ~March 6, to be six weeks? May the force be with you! At least you're not missing road time. It's going to a great spring.

dan emery

2/7/17 7:57 PM

Support group

I talk to Mike all the time, but he's more of an enabler...

3/1 is the X-ray and if I pass then I move to the next stage, which probably includes the trainer. Release to ride outside is likely another 4 weeks if things proceed according to plan.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

2/8/17 2:52 AM

Tibiotalar area looks good

Just checked in and saw this.
Silver lining: Your ankle joint space itself seems smooth, unaffected/uninterrupted. That's great re. risk of wear n tear/osteoarthritis down the road!
Get well soon.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/8/17 5:19 AM

Thanks but...

The image posted is Levi Leipheimer, not me, and a totally different injury. Yes threads here do drift a bit....:)

Reply to topic    

Rickk

2/8/17 8:14 AM

Oops - sorry. I scrolled through the thread way too fast.

Fractured femur. Good news: No knee or hip joint involved.
Generally - femurs heal better than tibias - which have a higher incidence of delayed or non-union ... but you probably know all this from your orthopedist.

All the best

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/18/17 11:42 AM

More Domane GEOM Data

Domane Classics Edition was a previous year model that appears to be the base frame for the Koppenberg/RSL bikes/frames.

Sparky

2/18/17 5:13 PM

Just got an eMail from my local Trek shop I got the Madone frame from.

Today's sale/offer, 2016 Domane 5.9C Di2 Ultegra 3500.00 500 Series OCLV and Tubeless wheels not tires. Includes the 325.00 handlebars as well.

Sparky

2/18/17 6:35 PM

Dan

Dan, please email me a snail mail addy. Token get well present for you.

'eMail Addy DELETED'

dan emery

3/1/17 11:20 AM

Good news, mostly

Had the 6 week X-ray and meeting with the surgeon today. X-ray couldn't be better, I'm moving well etc., BUT I am sentenced to crutches for probably 3 more weeks, though with increasing weightbearing. Hoped I might be able to lose them sooner, but he emphasized that I knocked the crap out of the femur (3 cracks plus partially pulled it away from the previous implant). I can ride the stationary bike now at low resistance, but he wants another 6 weeks before riding outdoors. So I'll have a week outside before Mallorca!

Mentioned that I had experimented with a cane and he said that was a real bad idea but I hadn't hurt anything.

I see him again in 3 weeks.

Last edited by dan emery on 3/1/17 12:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/1/17 11:37 AM

Cane eh? Listen to your Doc.

That said:
When I broke my clav into 7 pieces with rib fractures I was getting x-rayed every week for 5 weeks. Doc knew I had the Computrainer setup, and was all for me using it after 3 weeks. By week 6 some sky showed [early Feb in NJ] up so I started outside rides. 300 CT miles through Jan. had me raring to roll outside too.

I hit a raised expansion gasket at a overpass. The guy in front of me pulled his front up over but did not call out. I heard his rear hit it and pushed my weight back but hit it during the push, and it hurt pretty bad at the clav. Called and went in for an x-ray and was OK, but boy that Doc gave me some real shit. I said indoor trainer only!!

So I compromised by putting a Ruby Shock on the Y-Foil and kept riding outdoors. Mentioning it to him seemed non necessary on last 3 visits.

We are a stubborn lot to be sure.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -