HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dan's non excellent adventure
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/25/17 12:01 PM

One thing for sure IMO, the RSL geometry is going to feel less like endurance GEOM and more road race, a good thing on pavement IMO.

I think the Pro Endurance GEOM RSL frame has a bit more tire clearance IIRC. I'd like to ride both, but pretty sure I'd prefer the RSL. Just can't get past the short headtube for my aging back. My days of 4.5" saddle/bar drop are long gone.

The non pro 'classic' endurance GEOM is more akin to the Roubaix slower front end generally, as in more trail.

I have commented on my Madone Project One regarding this in a Madone thread. Treks approach was unlike the classic endurance, in that the Madone is just short of 74^ HTA, but 4CM rake to bring the trail higher.

One can see Treks Madone path of late with a Domane seatmast and bringing the trail up as noted. Not bad but feels a bit different when you switch bikes.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

1/25/17 8:19 PM

Dan, heal fast.

Sparky

1/25/17 11:53 PM

This shows the SLR and RSL geometry differences.

dan emery

1/26/17 5:35 AM

Geometry

I think the geometry of the 58 looks great, just a question of bar height. Though I haven't sat on it, I think it will be good with the spacers as shown in the pic, plus looks like I can go up one from there, plus if necessary could use an angled stem, though that would uglify it a bit. A slammed stem may be the ultimate cool look, but I think the Pro Endurance with the spacers is still a very pretty bike. And even considering endurance geometry, I like the tt length better.

One small thing I love is the black crank with the gold chain. Channeling Regina Oro.

I'm still taken with the gesture of bringing the bike to the hospital. At first they wouldn't let David in with it as I guess they thought it was for a jailbreak....

Reply to topic    

Campyman

1/26/17 8:35 AM

Trek Domane Geometry

When I got my Domane they did not offer the RSL frame in a 54, 56 was the smallest.
The Geometry of the 54 RSL would have been a better fit for me. I wonder when Trek started offering the RSL frames in a 54...Will have to reach out to my Trek Source.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/17 9:01 AM

I'd take the spacers to get the lower trail, faster front HTA. Plus a zero rise stem @ 120 is about 12mm higher [than -6] IIRC. I don't think my vanity could take the hit on a positive rise stem. :-(

Looks like there is a RSL 54 in that Chart if you will notice...

Note: I learned via the Roubaix/Endurance-Geom that [for me] a 1/2 between bike that only fits a 28mm tire at most is a Swiss Army bike with 3 blades. Thus the Strong replaced it as one with 5 blades being it can take up to a 2.1 650b.

I took my Di2 Addict for a ride the other day with Michelin SC tires. [Wanna ride my Di2!] Lots of crushed shale [with shards] for traction augmentation left behind. Leaned this 2 days previous on the Strong cutting a Pave tire and flatting. But nice to get out...

Last edited by Sparky on 1/26/17 10:03 AM; edited 3 times in total

dfcas

1/26/17 9:42 AM

There is a "Trek Domane Team Edition frameset 58cm
$1,250" on my local Facebook classifieds. It has a geo chart with it but the resolution is too low to read. If anyone is interested I can provide a link to the FB site.

I gave up on the vanity some time back and use positive rise stems now.

Sparky

1/26/17 10:22 AM

"I gave up on the vanity some time back and use positive rise stems now"

I may still have a few more years of deniability left in me. ;)

Brian Nystrom

1/27/17 7:24 AM

Please post the link...

...I'm curious to see what it is. Did the poster say what year the frame is?

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/27/17 7:42 AM

I can't link directly to it, so do a search on this group for it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/468560326534014/

dan emery

1/28/17 5:57 AM

Another thing

Looks like with the Pro Endurance I also get more CF in the bottom bracket for the big watts Fabian and I lay down. :)

I think this will be a seriously fun bike. Had a postop visit, leg feels pretty good, reasonable estimate is full weightbearing middle of March. I may plan to go to Mallorca, not do the event but just ride for fun. Think I could live with that.

Last edited by dan emery on 1/28/17 9:58 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

DPotter

1/28/17 8:33 AM

Holy Smoke Dan

Heal well!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/17 10:35 AM

Pro Endurance I also get more CF in the bottom bracket""

About 300 grams more apparently.

BTW My project One Madone has that 90mm BB. It is stiffer than the the Scott HMX Addict in a noticeable way. Like when you sit down from standing/climbing I downshift one gear instead of two, and something not at all. Not ever with any other road bile felt a BB as solid FWIW. The RSL should be even more solid, although I can't imagine it. ;)

dan emery

1/28/17 10:44 AM

300+?

It weighs that much more even though the 700 carbon is lighter.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/17 10:55 AM

That is what I read browsing my ass off trying to find that geom chart.

Touted to actually be made in USA which attracts me greatly.

quote:

There’s more that sets the SLR RSL apart from the standard Domane SLR. The RSL is made in the USA at Trek and uses a higher grade 700-series carbon; the standard Domane SLR is made in Asia of 600-series carbon.

In a twist, despite the higher grade carbon, the SLR RSL frame is about 300 grams heavier than the regular Domane SLR frame. The extra weight is for a reason: stiffness. “The RSL bike is… built to Fabian's exact standards for the cobblestones,” said Coates. The Domane SLR RSL is Trek’s stiffest carbon race bike: stiffer than the Domane SLR, Emonda SLR, and the Madone. Though “significantly stiffer,” says Coates, the RSL has the same vertical compliance as the standard Domane RSL frame.

The Domane SLR RSL will only be offered for rim brakes, and is only offered through Trek’s Project One customization program. Only 54, 56, 58, 60, and 62cm sizes are offered, four fewer than the Domane SLR. Expect to pay about $1000 more for the RSL than a standard Domane SLR.

I have a 10% coupon from the Store I got the Madone from. I am afraid I am having un-pure thoughts.. I figured it out I can get around $5500 with one of the base paints with 6800 cabled.

I could do musical chairs with the Di2 off the Scott and sell off the Mandone/Scott/Chilli Con Kermit and re-coupe enough coin that I am actually considering it.

Sparky

1/28/17 11:21 AM

And veleo new review states:

SIZE 56 centimeters
WEIGHT 15.5 pounds
MSRP $9,749.00 Project One Dura-Ace build

w/Aeolus 3 TLR wheelset @ 1356 grams.

Ans that is the heavier RSL frame, so certainly not beyond the weights/offerings of light road bikes dejour it seems.

dan emery

1/28/17 1:13 PM

Yeah

Plenty light enough for my fat a$$

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/17 5:21 PM

How are you felling today Dan?

---
I just got back from shopping. 21 days and 6495.00 minus 10 % Same wheels as Dans and 6800 cabled. $325.00 IsoCore bars etc. Coupon for the 10% good until 2/12.

I gotta math up what realistically I can sell the Madone with all the new Domane parts and the Scott with 11 speed 105 put on it. I am already getting some cold feet. ;)

But I just paid off my 2013 Equinox 3 years early the other day, so that payment is gone. If it sells by 2/12 I may pull the trigger. #3 car about to become #2. Else I will have to wait for end of season sale on a frame perhaps.

I have no problem riding the Di2/Addict for the season. In fact got enough weather [lack of it] yesterday that the roads were dry and clean enough to take it out yesterday. With Michelin Service Course tires on it. Not even close to my fav tires, but really hard to cut them, really hard.

Popped 50^, I'll take that in Feb all day!. Except the 6 mile jaunt along the east bank river trail with a breeze coming off the water was pretty refrigerator like! Brrr. Came back from downtown along the other side of the river and had two of my 3 layers unzipped. ;)

What they showed me that they said was either NOT The Greenlite color, or it looks like shit in person. Back to ViperRed with PinotRed Logos.

dan emery

1/28/17 6:24 PM

Yikes

I don't want you wife blaming me, Spark...:)

I'm feeling quite good thanks, had a visit from PT today, doing that and learning techniques for getting around on the walker and crutches and maintaining the non - weightbearing.

One fun thing is that the doc and therapist thought I shouldn't be able to do straight leg raises (lying on back, raise leg straight from the hip). Not sure if it's cyclist's legs or just the nature of the injury, but I can do them pretty easily. Today the PT (who is pretty tough, does mountain snowshoe hikes all winter), was going through exercises, said "I think we'll stay away from leg raises" I said "I can do those" and she said "You can?" I popped the leg up close to 90 degrees, and she looked at me like I was from the Moon.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/17 7:00 PM

You should be safe over there on that 'other' coast. ;)

" I popped the leg up close to 90 degrees"

Damn over achiever! ;O

dan emery

1/30/17 1:45 PM

Timeline

Getting a feel for how things should progress, given normal healing. 6 weeks from surgery (3/1) I get an x-ray and then weightbearing is adjusted. That is probably about when I begin riding the stationary bike. About 4 weeks later (end of March) I get another x-ray, and if healing is completed as expected, I am released to ride outdoors. That is when a fall will be no worse than a fall before the accident.

So in theory I would have 4 weeks on the trainer and 3 weeks outdoors before going to Mallorca. Not going to try to do the event on that (endurance might be OK for the short version, but not interested in descending hairpins in a pack when I'm not sharp), but a nice relaxed cycling vacation sounds pretty good.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/17 2:02 PM

Damn over achiever! ;O

Wait, I said that already. ;)

Brian Nystrom

1/30/17 4:09 PM

Have you asked your doc about riding the trainer?

I was on my trainer 2 1/2 week post surgery - with my doc's encouragement - while still not allowed to put any weight on the leg at all. All I was doing initially was getting the leg moving to get the range of motion back; I wasn't actually pedaling with it. However, it was a different type of injury, so perhaps you do need more healing time before putting in any trainer time.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/30/17 4:25 PM

Trainer time

I haven't asked the doc himself, the PA suggested 6 weeks. I'm 2 weeks post surgery tomorrow, and I don't have the knee range of motion to pedal now, and I also couldn't get my leg over the bike. They had to make a big incision. If I start to feel it's feasible I may call the doc. Also I have regular PT and I'll talk to them. I possibly could ride a recumbent earlier and may look at that when I start outpatient PT. But for the next few weeks the non weightbearing is a huge thing and I don't want to mess that up. I think the ROM is coming along with the PT exercises.

In general, I'm more concerned about starting too early and screwing up than starting too late.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/30/17 4:47 PM

You're smart to be cautious

My doc told me horror stories about athletes who just didn't know when to be patient and give their bodies time to heal, and ended up prolonging their recovery time or seriously re-injuring themselves. He basically told me:

"Let the pain be your guide; if it really hurts, don't do it."

PT always involves a level of discomfort, but that's different from real pain. Knowing and respecting that difference is the key to recovering as rapidly as your body will allow. Apparently some athletes have such a high pain threshold that they can't find the right balance.

I ended up being able to walk unassisted about 2 weeks sooner than my doc's earliest estimate, due to being cautious, but persistent in rehab and to being in good shape at the time of the injury, like you were. I wouldn't be surprised if you recovered quicker than predicted.

BTW, the first time I got on the trainer, I had to sit upright and lean slightly to my good side in order to get the pedals all the way around and I probably only did that for 5 minutes or so. I think it was the third or forth ride before I could sit square on the saddle and pedal. As you've probably already seen, ROM progress happens pretty rapidly in the beginning.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -