Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dan's non excellent adventure
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/23/17 3:04 PM

Cycling Art etc.

Yeah, and I was inspired to get the bike by riding with Jens, and I think he said he'd broken 42 bones or something.....

Brian, yeah I think knee range of motion is the big issue. I can get a bit past 90% now, not bad. And I have all the same dumbass tendencies which I really have to fight. My biggest thing is just to stay off the leg. But I was scared as hell I wouldn't get a functional leg back so I am motivated. Just finished an hour of PT and the exercises are good.

Greg, yeah, my buddy Mike who busted his femur in Mallorca was here yesterday and observes "the curse of Mallorca is real." He rode his bike up Mt Washington 3 months after surgery, but he's nuts. I think I may still go to Mallorca, maybe just spin around easy, I dunno.

As to the self-cath, ewww. I had 2 from others, didn't have to self-administer. Actually you're right it's much better than eternal agony.....

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

1/23/17 5:23 PM

damn

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dan. I had an amazing skate on the Winnegance River in Bath last Monday--sucks that yours ended so badly. I ride a 58 cm and I live just up the road, so if you need someone to make sure that bike works properly...

David

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/23/17 5:32 PM

"I think he said he'd broken 42 bones or something....."

Some repeat offenders I trust.

I thought about it, I am over a dozen. Mostly from Moto Cross. And a few from other things that seemed like good ideas of things to be doing at the time.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

1/23/17 6:19 PM

Jeez Dan, very sorry to hear this.

Hope your recovery goes well.

SB

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

1/23/17 9:56 PM

Endurance sports

I think that the stupid tendencies that Brian refers to come with being an endurance athlete. The physical side will surely help Dan in his recovery, but the mental aspect isn`t less significant. Cycling, distance running, etc often entails overcoming extreme discomfort, and this mental toughness also greatly helps in recovery as long as it isn`t taken to the excess, which is a distinct threat.
Having said that, self cath...you`re a better man than I am Gunga Din.

dan emery

1/24/17 6:47 AM

Righto Marc

This Rehab is much different from the Rehab for the hip replacement, because there walking was the best thing you could do, and weight bearing was as tolerated, so increases were good. Here, the less walking the better, and the ideal is no weight bearing whatsoever for 6 weeks. So specific range of motion and strengthening exercises for the leg, but otherwise lying on the couch is ideal.

But actually I can satisfy my desire to do something hard because true "toe touch" non weight bearing is difficult - basically hopping on one leg with a walker or crutches, all weight taken by the arms and good leg. It's actually much easier to put moderate weight on the bad leg, but that impedes correct healing of the fracture. So I'm trying to be meticulous on the weight bearing to preserve my Anquetil-like pedal stroke...:)

I'm sprung from the Rehab Hospital tomorrow, will be great to see he dogs as I can't email with them. Another way I got lucky is their dog sitter has been able to cover this whole time.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/24/17 12:11 PM

Cycling Art again

The LBS owner just stopped by the Rehab Hospital to show me the Domane. It is freakin' beautiful.

Major motivation!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/17 12:54 PM

"The LBS owner just stopped by the Rehab Hospital to show me the Domane. It is freakin' beautiful."

The guy brought the bike or a pic, either way that is pretty freaking cool! Hope that cheered you up, sure would have most of us. ;)

dan emery

1/24/17 1:12 PM

The bike

He brought the bike. Great of him. If someone can host I can send a pic.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

1/24/17 1:24 PM

That`s greeat

It really is something that he brought the bike for you to see.
While mine is a matte black with blue on the fork, top tube and chain stays, my reaction was exactly the same as yours. I saw the bike and told the Specialized dealer that I`m going with the Trek. It just blew me away. On the up side, at least initially, you probably wouldn`t do too much riding considering it`s mid january in Maine,

Sparky

1/24/17 1:24 PM

happy to host, done.

quote:
you probably wouldn`t do too much riding considering it`s mid january in Maine,

You do know who you are taking about, right? It would take surgery and recovery to keep him from it, bank on it. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 1/24/17 3:03 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

1/24/17 3:02 PM

Less cables is definitely sexy to my eye. The difference when I put the Di2 on the Addict had a minimalist bare bones look to it.

Is he holding it down or up? ;)

dfcas

1/24/17 3:27 PM

We need a way to get rid of those pesky brake cables.

Sparky

1/24/17 4:41 PM

Did you do something optionally on the wheels?
Aeolus 3 TLR D3, tubeless ready I thought, or is it a total custom and not a 9 series SLR?

dan emery

1/24/17 4:56 PM

Wheels

It is a Project 1 custom. The Aeolus wheels were a much more expensive option, at least $1,000, maybe up toward 2,000. I passed, I like utilitarian wheels.

I did pay extra to get 700 series carbon, the 9 has 600.

IIRC also you can't get the team paint job on a 9 series.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/17 7:48 PM

BTW, someone in the club had Aeolus upper end wheels set up tubeless from the factory with Bonty tires. He flatted and we had to leave him after everybody tried to un-bead it so he could stick a tube in. He got sagged home by pickup and told me next time I saw him it took ruining the tires to get them off. He said fuck that and set it up tubed with Gatorskins on his $14k custom bike.

henoch

1/24/17 10:46 PM

I don't want to weigh in on the Tubeless debate, but just a small anecdote.
I rode with Tom Kellogg a couple of days ago and he was riding AC wheels set up with IRC tubeless tires, I asked him about them and he said he absolutely loves them.

Reply to topic    

April

1/24/17 11:02 PM

That's pretty much what I heard. Tubeless on road rim is great. You "almost" never flat.

But if you DO flat. God help you. You need finger of steel to get the tire off. Might as well not bothering bringing a spare if you have no chance of putting it in. Saves weight too.

Sparky

1/24/17 11:05 PM

I've been happy with the set I've used for a few seasons. When these 23C tubeless Fusions wear out, I am going to try something else. 25C something or other elses. Was watching for the IRCs to grab a pair for a decent price, but not seen any price drop. When I get GP4Ks for $33-35.00 it is hard to pay double somehow.

But the 23s feel like 25s tubed, I think 25s should feel like 28s. 28s tubeless road offering thus far seem too heavy to me. ;)

My comment was more to the Aeolus rims. Mine are the Dura Ace 10 speed tubeless set, and the front rim wear indicator is about to disappear. My SL23 Pacenti set is tubeless, but not mounted tubeless on them yet. I think one of my A23 set is as well.

I really like GP4Ks tires too much to stop using them. ;)

Sparky

1/24/17 11:10 PM

April, did your brake situation on your car subside?

And I do have fingers and hands of steel. But there is also the mess to deal with if you need to put in a tube. I had a 4 puncture front flat, two T50 staples in a piece of plastic. Lost a lot of air, but it sealed. I posted about that experience previously.

I have come to like latex tubes and GP4Ks in 25mm on wide rims better than anything else I have tried.

Sparky

1/24/17 11:29 PM

Back to the Domane.

I see the 700 series OCLV upgrade option indicates a geometry change?? I thought the headtube in the pic was very not H2. Doesn't that make it pretty much RSL geometry like the Koppenberg?

Ohh, I kind of like the Green-Lite/White in Project one...

Saw this on the 700 series:

The Domane SLR 10 RSL is the only Domane model to be made from 700 Series OCLV carbon, 'The lightest, strongest carbon available' and 'the ultimate combination of superior modulus and superior strength' according to the American brand. The geometry is more targeted to those that plan on racing or prefer an aggressive, stretched out position. 'Pro Endurance' geometry drops the headtube length and increases frame reach to create a more race-orientated position.

There are six other SLR Domane options, all of which are made from the 600 Series OCLV carbon, a level below the 700 series but the 'best balance of frame weight/stiffness in the industry' according to Trek. The geometry is the more traditional 'endurance geometry' we're used to seeing on the Domane range.

April

1/25/17 12:44 AM

brake

"April, did your brake situation on your car subside? "

No. I thought they did (once the radio is on, I can't hear it). I'm traveling, no longer in diagnostic mode. But today, when I turned the radio off, I heard it again. Definitely sounds like dirt in the brake surface. But I don't see anything definitive on the brake surface

It's not urgent since it's not getting worse. I'll wait till I get home.

Nick Payne

1/25/17 2:26 AM

quote:
But if you DO flat. God help you. You need finger of steel to get the tire off.

Actually, my experience with Schwalbe S-One tubeless on DT Swiss R23 wheels is not too bad. I was able to get the tyre off ok with the normal VAR plastic levers I carry on the bike - though this was done at home and not out on the road - I had a screw go into the tyre, which was fixed by the sealant until I got home, but when I pulled the screw out, I decided to take the tyre off to put a proper tubeless patch over the reasonably large hole that was there.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

1/25/17 5:23 AM

You say tomato...

Nick - The reason you succeeded was because it was a tyre. Now, if you had to remove a tire, it would have been an entirely different story. :-)

dan emery

1/25/17 8:02 AM

Tubeless

I specified tubeless but he set them up with tubes because he didn't want them sitting around a couple months with the sealant drying out. I can switch in the Spring if I want. Not sure if I will. What I think about is needing to get the tire (tyre) off on the road and not being able to. Not sure if that's a problem, but I have time to evaluate.

With the 700 I do get the "pro endurance fit" but it looks to set up well with some spacers, though I haven't got on the bike to fine tune (obviously). Just call me Spartacus....And that fit looks a lot better IMHO...

Heading home in a couple hours yee-ha.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -