Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dan's non excellent adventure
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

3/25/17 1:44 PM

Spacers

No change Spark, there should be a pic in your email. Effect of length of steerer is way beyond my ability to discern...

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/26/17 9:29 AM

Considering that this is a Domane...

...with the IsoSpeed in the front, too, it would be nearly impossible to separate the effect of the decoupler from the steerer flex without doing back-to-back comparisons with differing amounts of spacers under the stem. I imagine that would be way down on your list of things to do, if it's even a consideration at all.

Hey Sparky, there are "wireless" brakes of a sort: http://www.powercordz.com/
Combine them with one of the alloy link housing systems and there no "wires" anywhere! ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/26/17 9:35 AM

"effect of the decoupler from the steerer flex "

I wonder, with the lever further from the fulcrum...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/27/17 5:16 AM

I'm not saying that there would be no difference...

...but adding the decoupler is a huge difference in an of itself, compared to a bike without it. Any effect of the steerer length will be much more subtle.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/17 12:29 PM

OK, I caved [somewhat]

I really want to give a Domane a try, but the new 700 RSL will have to wait until late in the year or a stupid sale, fixed income and all. I may feel differently when the 2013 Equinox sells, but cheapness often wins out with me. I have managed to stay revenue neutral [mostly] on my buys and sells. Even a profit on 1/2 of them [usually not #1]. Although the used market here is wacky these days...

I almost landed a one of 250 2015 Team RS Domane Classics framesets, but the guy flaked on me after I accepted his last counter offer. These are falling in price hard/fast now with the SL and SLR front ISO and rear adjustable ISO tech they have on the new ones.

Anyway, so I have a 2014 Project One non RSL incoming [Fed-x tracking sent to me] to give a Domane a good try. I already ordered the Control Tech TUX [most flexi carbon bars in stiffness test I had posted] to test out my tapered front end/fork softening theories. [needed longer reach bars than what I have anyway]

I went down a size for less headtube length. I am between a 58 and 60, but too big a head tube length on the H3 geom a non starter for the 60CM Domane. [for me]. I'd do the 60 for the RSL for sure.

I should be-able spin a profit on it should the RSL become a choice later. If the ProjOne color on this one does not cause me a sell-ability issue. ;)

Luckily the deal comes with seatmast topper, two BB bearings kits [stock and one with just the bearings and of the ceramic variety], Bluetooth pickup, uncut steer tube, no scratches claimed, and some water bottle cages. oh, and all the fittings for Di2.

Really want to see if I like living with one of these. The Scott Addict fameset to be sold or traded off I guess.

Will post when built up.

dfcas

4/9/17 2:53 PM

Congrats on the inbound frameset. My head hurts trying to figure out the myriad of models Trek produces. R, RS, RSL, disc, rim brake, different headtube lengths, not to mention aluminum and Project One. I don't see how a dealer can stock a representative selection of even the Domane, and try to stock the Emonde and Madones too.

Sparky

4/9/17 2:59 PM

"My head hurts trying to figure out the myriad of models Trek produces"

No doubt about that ;)

Sparky

4/11/17 3:19 PM

The Domane [correction] Series 6 frame landed. Man, condition wise it near mint. On little chip at rear dropout and that is it. Correct topper for my needs, as well as both Di2 and cabled fittings.

All I need is a the expander plug. And it looks like the 28 Conti GP4 will fit the front. So I am going to try a 25 rear with the 28 front. On the rims I will use that is a 28 and a 31 pretty much. I have hopes between the bigger front tire @ 80lb, the TUX bars along with the 'tuned' carbon steer tube the front may take on some compliance. The one I test rode years back had the Alloy steerer, hope the carbon is 'tuned' to ride a bit better. Hope to roll on it and find out tomorrow.

Last edited by Sparky on 4/11/17 4:15 PM; edited 2 times in total

dfcas

4/11/17 3:50 PM

That's a nice looking Emonda.

dan emery

4/11/17 4:24 PM

Hope you love the bike

May well be a great bike, but I don't see how it will tell you anything about a new RSL. Totally different geometry, materials, technology.

The 58 H3 has a pretty short tt, I thought you insisted on 2-3 more cm?

But you'll know how much you like it soon enough! Hope it's great.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/11/17 4:40 PM

"I don't see how it will tell you anything about a new RSL"

No, it won't, cept maybe the 6 series OCLV, and uber low BB. I will either like it or won't I guess. It will bide me until I can procure a RSL when 2017 year end deals show up I am hoping...

TT length is a concern. I used the spreadsheet I uploaded in a new thread earlier which adjusts for rake and HTA detail.

I bolted on a 12CM Stem with some longer reach bars with my standard saddle setback. It looks right at where my other bikes with longer TTs & shorter reach bars and shorter stems are from the saddle front and center to bar center.

Thus when I raise the bars it will become shorter. So I will learn what this means on the road for this geometry. I am unclear honestly as to higher bars for longer rides is actually something I want. I did OK at Crater Lake on the disc Strong with similar geom and bar height. Although I did use less setback with it loaded making up for the longer TT.

I usually for aggressive riding position draw a line at a 58CM TT. But when the WB, front center and chainstays are longer like on the Disc Strong/Roubaix/Domane there is a bigger CG window I find.

I have shortened up things these last few year. Scott has a 100mm stem, the Madone a 110 and both have quite short reach bars. Like 65mm and 75mm.

The Strong has bar cons and no STIs, so the reach dynamic is different as a result.

Yada...

Sparky

4/12/17 3:15 PM

The Domane report [blog]

Tossed a bar set with DuraAce 7800 STIs [came off the Scott when the Di2 went on] with cabled Ultegra running gear to test ride the Domane.

Not ready to take the Scott apart for the Di2 gear. Lucky that all the Di2 and wire/cable grommets came with the frameset.

I set it up based [mostly] on the spreadsheet I posted in the other thread. I will be keeping that to use in the future for sure. I would have over corrected for perception of 'endurance' Geom.

The Ritchey Comp bars employed are pretty long reach. With the benefit of deep drops and long bottoms for some more hand positions. Perhaps well paired for me considering the TT length Trek puts on the 'Endurance' geom.

But with the STIs up high on the bar curve that takes some back on the reach. Like 3CM longer reach than the carbon bars on the Scott and Madone. This and a 12CM Stem is giving me good room without initial sense of feeling the shorter top tube.

Bars are only 1/2" higher than the go fast bikes, but the Domane also has 10mm more BB drop, so that means 10mm higher bars than the 1/2". Feels a little high to me but I am going to try it like this. +60^ this weekend so I intend to give it some saddle time.

Note: considering the headtube on the 60 is 25mm bigger, and these bars might be a tad high on the 58, a 60 would force more bar height than I would use. A Slammed -17 Stem might do it....

Just did a subdivision jaunt targeting every crap section I could find. And the roads here in my Sub-Div are pretty bad.

It feels nothing like the 4.7 Domane I rode a few years back. And the front is definitely and noticeably smoother/forgiving than my 4 Series Madone with the AL steerer, same tires and pressures. The Madone reminds me of how the 4.7 Domane front end felt.
I did not get the sense of the too soft/easy rear, too stiff front like I did on the 4.7 Domane.

I like it way better feel wise than the Roubaix, but I blame that on added stiffness for the disc brake setup on the Roubaix. Added girth for hub brake forces involved. The rear is not soggy at all, but you lift up some weight off the saddle and you feel the stiff BB benefit right away.

I felt no trait which caused me pause. And I doubt the bigger front tire I mentioned for the front will be needed to equal out the front/rear discrepancy I expected from riding the 4.7.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -