CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

How to determine if hub is 11 speed compaible?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

12/24/16 2:29 PM

How to determine if hub is 11 speed compaible?

I recently got a used set of used wheels and I'm trying to determine if they are 11 speed ready. Reynolds Attack, 2012. A Sram 10 speed cassette is on there now. If I remove the cassette and there is a spacer behind it can I safely assume its 11 speed? If no spacer can I safely assume 10 speed?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

12/24/16 3:06 PM

If there a spacer (1.8mm if correct) behind a Sram cassette, most likely yes.

Shimano 10 speed cassettes come with a 1mm spacer, so if it were a Shimano cassette there should be two - a 1mm and a 1.8.

Mavic is a its own story.

Useful chart and spacer info here:http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette_How-To_-_Part_2_3257.html

Nick Payne

12/24/16 3:17 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. 9/10-speed cassette bodies will be approximately 35mm from the shoulder on the body to the end where the lockring screws in, and 11-speed bodies 1.8mm longer than that.

Note that wide range Shimano MTB 11-speed cassettes will fit on a 10-speed cassette body - the part of the cassette that mounts on the body is inset from the large cog, and the largest cog is big enough that the bracing angle on the spokes gives enough clearance on the derailleur. My wife's touring bike has an 11-speed Deore XT 11-40 cassette mounted on an old 9-speed XTR rear hub.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/24/16 5:34 PM

Free hub body for 8/9/10 is 35mm from cassette stops to the outer edge. 11 speed is 1.7 mm more +/- 1mm

Anthony Smith

12/26/16 3:36 PM

11 speed

I have had no issues putting 11s on Shimano/Sram 10s cassette bodies. I just dremel off a hair over 1mm on the wheel side of the cassette body where the cassette rests against it. Works just fine

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/27/16 6:23 PM

Yep, as long as the particular wheel and cassette provides a good clearance gap between the cage and the spokes as installed, it's safe.

My mtb has spokes that engage the rim at the extreme left and right edges, so has virtually no spoke bracing angle. I became very familiar with this limitation, but found that the better quality derailers have a shaped inner cage plate that glides across spokes when contact occurs, as when traversing rough terrain with the largest cog engaged.

I wouldn't use a Dremel though, unless the cassette spider splined bore were wide enough to align itself by it's contact with the splines alone. A shorter spider that connects just two or three cogs would likely tilt on the body unless the home-machining were perfect.
I suppose though that one could use an iterative process to fine-tune the spider's stance on the hub until the cassette ran perfectly straight. That would be a fun challenge, shouldn't be too hard.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/27/16 6:59 PM

Someone needs to make a tool that looks like the Park headset facing tool that fits ove the hub body to mill that stop lip off.

Sparky

12/27/16 7:14 PM

I wonder if one of those diamond edged tile hole saws off the shelf might be of a diameter as to be just right? And be deep enough as well.

They make long ones...

dfcas

12/27/16 7:35 PM

Well my hub is 10 speed, so if I go 11 I'll probably buy the campy version because I like their 12-x cassette options the best .

Brian Nystrom

12/27/16 7:51 PM

If it's a Campy compatible 10 speed hub...

...it will accept an 11 speed cassette with no modification.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/27/16 7:56 PM

Nah, its Shimano/Sram. looking at the cassette options, both Shimano and Sram mostly have 11-x cassettes, but Campy has more 12-X. Since all 3 have spacing that is close enough to be interchangable in 11 speed, I'm going Campy hub if I go 11. Only problem is the cassettes are more than Shimano.

dddd

12/29/16 6:59 PM

Shimano offers a 12-28t cassette in 11s, and it has a 16t cog, but it's offered only in the Dura-Ace version so is well north of $100.
I recall buying a Chorus 12-27t 11s cassette for a little under $100 online. As Brian already mentioned, it fits on the earlier hubs, 9s and up, and fits on the (albeit rare) 8s Record Titanium freehub as well.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/29/16 7:04 PM

I've had DA cassettes in the past that didn't last very long, so they cost twice as much and last half as long, effectively 4 times as expensive. The Chorus cassettes are $100 but at least they are all steel and should last well.

Sparky

12/29/16 8:17 PM

IIRC, D/A 10 speed cassette has 3 big cogs Titanium and those do wear faster than steel would I guess. But I usually wear out the middle first before the big cogs anyway.

You have more chain on more teeth and perhaps that is some sort of wear equalizer. I still have 2 in service doing fine. But most I have bought in the last few years have been Ultegra 10 for like 40-45.00 each. And now two 11 speed Ultegra cassettes since the Scott got promoted.

Been cold and wet here, bit yesterday It was sunny and got up to 52 or so. It was 37 when I started out but got warmer fast thankfully. Managed about 30 miles on the Winter bike, the Strong. I want to ride the Di2 bike SOOO bad though...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -