Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cheap Laptop for training, help needed
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

12/19/16 5:40 PM

Cheap Laptop for training, help needed

I am thinking of picking up a cheap laptop to try and use for Zwift and Virtual Training, as my current laptop is an older version still running XP etc.. and Zwift wont work on it.
I doubt I will use it for much else, so basically for the computer experts on here, would something like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/5606300.p?skuId=5606300
Have enough computing power to smoothly run programs like Zwift or Virtual Training?

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/19/16 5:49 PM

For Zwift:

It's probably the graphics card that should be your main concern. Just make sure the Radeon R4 is sufficient for Zwift. (It may not be. Zwift says embedded HD 4000 is minimum, and the R4 benchmarks lower than that.)

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/19/16 6:00 PM

For Cycleops VT, almost anything modern should work. I use it on an aging Dell Vostro 1510 from around 2008 (Windows 10, 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo).

With VT, I recommmend downloading videos over streaming. It isn't a graphics-intensive app at all.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/19/16 6:05 PM

Not an answer, but in case you are not aware Zwift just introduced an iOS version and I use my iPad on my tacx bushido smart, so if you have an iPad depending on your trainer you may be good.

If you check D.C. Rainmaker he has a buying guide listing all the apps, formats, and trainers. If you have a computrainer please dismiss all my blather.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

12/20/16 8:25 AM

@ sanrensho, so yeah Cycleops VT worked fine on my laptop last winter, when I opened on Saturday (after not using it since last april) it asked me to update to the newer version, and now the video is super choppy, it doesn't affect the training at all, so the communication with the trainer is fine but it's annoying to try and look at the video and its just start stop start the whole time.
As for Zwift, yeah I figured it's the graphics card and that is something that I know nothing about..

@dfcas I know that they released the new iOS version, and I have a iPad however my trainer broadcasts in ant+ and it looks like to get ant+ on the iPad will run about $60-$70 (unless I am wrong there), so if I can get a whole laptop that will work for $200 I think that would make sense.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/20/16 8:37 AM

If you want ant+ on your ipad, email me a mailing address and I 'll send you the wahoo dongle/lightning adapter.

glepore123 using google's email

henoch

12/20/16 9:41 AM

Thanks Greg

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/20/16 10:08 AM

Will be on the way tomorrow. Cheers.

sanrensho

12/20/16 3:02 PM

Upgrading to a model like this one gets you an Intel HD 520 graphics chip, which benchmarks higher than the HD 4000 that Zwift recommends as a minimum requirement.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5606100.p?skuId=5606100

HD 520
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html

HD 4000
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/midlow_range_gpus.html

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/20/16 3:13 PM

VT: Just to add, I haven't experienced any video choppiness since upgrading to the new VT app (downloaded videos, not streaming). I did get choppiness occasionally with the old version.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/22/16 8:24 AM

I rode a different course yesterday in VT and it seemed smoother so perhaps the choppiness the other day was due to the course itself.
I also download the courses as opposed to streaming, but I am having a very tough time using their search.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/22/16 1:29 PM

Choppiness: You may be doing this already, but make sure to shut down other apps. It may not help significantly, but it sure can't hurt.

I find it easier to search for routes by logging into the VT website rather than from within the app. Then I add to my Favorites list. Another advantage of using the VT website is that it gives a list of recently added routes. I only wish the video donloads weren't so slow.

Right now I am doing a lot of routes in Japan and the Canary Islands.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/22/16 4:07 PM

Yeah there search interface leaves much to be desired, that is for sure.
I actually went onto the webpage yesterday to search for routs, and I can see where you add then to your favorites but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to download them.
What am I missing?

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/22/16 4:48 PM

You have to go back into the VT app, click on Routes then My Favorite.

Click on the desired route (might be right-click), then click Start Download.

Downloading is super-slow, I find it usually takes 2+ hours to download one video route.

If you go to Downloaded (left menu), there is a Download Manager option on the right. So you can monitor the glacial downloads.

Also, if you downloaded a route video but it isn't working, go into the Download Manager and you will find an instruction to download the file again (I don't know why this happens.)

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/22/16 5:06 PM

BTW, all VT subscribers have been upgraded to Premium through Dec. 31 (streaming only).

https://blog.virtualtraining.eu/en/article/49_premium-holidays-in-virtualtraining

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/23/16 11:32 AM

Thanks for the tip, I think I got it to work, I will know for sure next time I hit the trainer (hopefully tomorrow).
I have to say that the search feature is TERRIBLE!!, unless I am doing something wrong that has got to be one of the worst designed websites that I have used in a long time.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

12/23/16 11:49 AM

Chromecast?

Re. "I am thinking of picking up a cheap laptop to try and use for Zwift and Virtual Training, as my current laptop is an older version still running XP etc.. and Zwift wont work on it."

Another option for now, can be installing Zwift on your desktop computer (just in case its graphic card and processor is better than you old laptop's).

If so - you can then get a $30 Chromecast (HD 1080p version) and beam your desktop (Zwift) to your flatscreen tv during your workout.

This is what I do bc I dont bother fidgeting around w various keyboard keys during a Zwift workout. Ymmv.

This option assumes you have the space and spousal rights to put your bkke and trainer in front of the tv... ;-)

Additionaly some use the ios or android zwift app to play around with various keys on their smart phone or tablet during their workout. Not me.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/24/16 8:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.
At the moment I don't have my trainer set up in front of our TV, also I am an apple guy, so my main desktop is a iMac, which neither Virtual training nor Zwift support.
But VT seems to work more or less ok on this old laptop and I will give Zwift a try on my iPad, and take it from there.
I know that some people I have spoken to are running some of these programs on their idevices to large screens via Apple TV.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

12/24/16 9:08 AM

A bit technical..you can dual boot you iMac into windows. It will require purchasing a Windows license, cost about 1 or two C notes. Alternatively for that price yo uhh can purchase a new, entry level Winows laptop or micro desktop.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/24/16 4:58 PM

Henoch: I tried one of the Premium routes yesterday (Boi Taull), which are streaming only, and the video worked flawlessly. I'm sure that my slow speed/lack of power helped.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/25/16 7:21 AM

Good point Jesus, I might look into that.

Sanrensho, I actually downloaded and tried another route yesterday and the choppiness was just off the hook, so I am not sure what the problem is, maybe I'll give the streaming a try.
Do you stream over the website or through the program?.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/25/16 8:54 AM

Lower the resolution within the program?
(I haven't been following the thread so it may be covered above)
Happy trails!

sanrensho

12/26/16 1:06 PM

quote:
Sanrensho, I actually downloaded and tried another route yesterday and the choppiness was just off the hook, so I am not sure what the problem is, maybe I'll give the streaming a try.
Do you stream over the website or through the program?.

Choppiness: I haven't had any choppiness issues lately with downloaded routes on the new VT app.

Assuming you're running the new app, perhaps try going back to the old VT app (they can be installed concurrently) if it was working for you.

Streaming: I stream using the VT app. However, I had issues streaming a Premier route yesterday (Crater Lake Oregon). Took three tries to get the video working and it still was not synced for more than half the ride. This is when the video slows to a crawl and then at some point "catches up" by doing a fast forward.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/26/16 10:02 PM

I don't think there is any way to lower the resolution, though that does sound like a good idea.

So I finally decided to try some streaming instead of riding my downloaded routes, I tried 2 (well only 10 minutes for the first), the first was super choppy, so much so that I stopped riding it after 10 minutes, the 2nd one (somewhere out near Cape Town) was much smoother though still had some choppiness, I am wondering if the choppiness could have something to do with the individual routs.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/26/16 11:42 PM

I really have no idea what is going on with streaming issues.

The resolution of the Boi Taull route is much higher than Crater Lake, yet the former worked flawlessly on the first attempt, while the latter didn't work properly until the 2nd hour.

If I had to hazard a guess I would say it is due to server loads and number of connected users. I have the developer's email and will ask him.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -