HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Endurance bike - Infinito v. Domane
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

12/26/16 6:25 AM

Isn't it an amazing feeling when a bike just feels right?! When I first got my old school steel Tomassini, I was amazed at the way it felt - it was almost as if the bicycle knew what I wanted to do before I did, and handled it with aplomb - no drama. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/26/16 7:32 AM

Yes

My RS feels perfect, which is why it is probably silly for me to speculate on another bike.

But OTOH at times I think that since I have what is to me a perfect traditional bike, if I get another one it should be non-traditional, which would point toward the Domane. Although the Infinito is wicked cool as well....

Sparky, ha ha at my age I'm not worried about timelessness....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/26/16 10:23 AM

" it was almost as if the bicycle knew what I wanted to do before I did, and handled it with aplomb"

That started for me with the first Strong. A Linear neutral front end that seems to start turns on a thought.

Every/any endurance bike/frame I have ridden does not have this feel in the front ends. Including the Domane [early] CV, Roubaix.. out of these all felt more similar to the 2016 Madone than the pure road frame/bike FWIW.

"at my age I'm not worried about timelessness"

[Muttley gif goes here]

Last edited by Sparky on 12/27/16 12:48 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

12/27/16 5:55 AM

For me it was the SuperSix HiMod

The best description of the handling is "intuitive with zero drama". I don't have to think about it, just do it. Based on this thread, this type of handling is apparently not that rare and I suspected as much. However, designers have their personal preferences regarding geometry and handling and not everyone likes the same things, hence the variety in the market. Another variable is frame size and it's quite possible that different sizes of the same bike handle differently, which may explain the differences of opinion about a give model.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/28/16 2:19 PM

Domane pricing

As noted the Domane etap on the website is $11k, but I've determined that through the Trek One custom program, I can get the etap bike with more utilitarian wheels and stem, AND the fanboy Sagafredo paint job (say SagaFREDo, I don't care) for a bit over $9k. Still not cheap, but cheapER at least (and not sure I'd really want the light carbon Aeolus wheels for daily use anyway).

As long as the program has reasonable delivery time, which I should be able to find out.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/28/16 9:39 PM

I really like the red color on those Treks.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/16 10:36 PM

"I really like the red color on those Treks."

Me too. Viper Red I think it is called. And having taken delivery of my 2016 Madone in the box, I opted out of using the supplementary decal card. So it kind of just is red with black 'hellos'. The Red with white 'hellos' is also cool to my eye.

Brian Nystrom

12/29/16 5:55 AM

What that on the seat tube...

...just below the top tube junction?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/29/16 9:08 AM

Loop of bar tape. Top of pump gets a velcro strap there.

greglepore

12/29/16 11:27 AM

How are you liking those sl23's?

Sparky

12/29/16 11:36 AM

I won't be buying any more Pacenti stuff.

I like the performance of the rims. I particularly like the brake machining and find it make for better grip/braking.
Mine are the V1 rims FWIW.

I did not like what transpired support wise when one of the SL23 got rim cracks 300 miles in. Especially considering I bought 8 of them.

Used washers when I put on the new rim, and did not need to do the relieving which is where/when I believe the stress risers that became spoke bed cracks occurred. The V2 rims are notably lighter apparently. Make what yo may form that considering how my squeezing spoke with my gorilla hands with these exactly at 125 as Kirk himself told me was the max... yada. I may stress relieve lighter rims in the future before getting them to max tension. Not may, 'will' actually.

BTW; the next day/ride I came way to close to a big SUV hitting me in the back wheel. Close that his passenger screamed out loud which is what made me look to see him not looking forward and the front of the truck raising up. I had stopped at a 4 way way before he did to my left, I signaled and when left in front of him. He did not quite wait long enough for my slow ass to clear before goosing the throttle.

greglepore

12/29/16 3:11 PM

Not sure whether mine are 1's or 2's as the stickers are gone...

Hopefully they'll be ok under my light ass. I've read about the cracking..

Sparky

12/29/16 4:35 PM

V2 has a very narrow brake track like Velocity A23, like 7-8mm VS V1 which are like 11-12mm +/- 1 mm.

I understand V2 also has deeper channel to be more mounting friendly and also weighs less as noted.

dan emery

12/30/16 7:55 AM

Point of no return?

Going to the new shop/Trek dealer Saturday for a consultation with one of the owners. Glad to be able to sort through this with a guy who knows both the products and cycling in general. Sounds like I can spec a bike (with many more component options than shown in the bikes on the website) and get an estimate right away how long it will take. If I get something I want it pretty soon as I'll need to ride it in April.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/30/16 12:57 PM

Good luck, hope you get what you will like. Can we all go with you? ;)

dan emery

12/30/16 1:08 PM

Sure

Sure, come on down. 11 AM, Cyclemania, Portland.

I guess one way to get off on a good foot with new LBS is to buy a bike...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/30/16 2:51 PM

"Sure, come on down. 11 AM, Cyclemania, Portland. "

If only Our Portlands wuzn't 3k mile apart... 3,186 apparently. ;)

I guess Jens is earning his pay, eh?

dan emery

12/31/16 1:41 PM

Trigger pulled

Weak person that I am, I ordered a Domane with etap, Jens Fanboy red team paint job, upgraded CF to 700 series, got utilitarian Paradigm wheels with tubeless 26mm tires. Ships in 14 days! 120 stem but they'll fine tune that and bar height when the bike gets here.

He showed me etap in the box and it was cool when you pick up the shifter and click it and the derailleur moves. Kind of ghostly.

Went home and did a FRC interval workout to try to convince myself I'm worthy.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/31/16 1:50 PM

Congrats. Sounds like a great bike for you.

Sparky

12/31/16 2:19 PM

"Went home and did a FRC interval workout to try to convince myself I'm worthy"

Fook that, if you want something and can both afford and justify the cost... Nuf said!

I knew what your next post was going to be. Some folks go shopping, some go buying. It seemed obvious you were not jibber jabbering about it for other than one reason. At least it seemed that way to me.

So did yo get Jens' email or Twitter to send up a pic when it lands? ;)

Excited for you, especially since we seem to be somewhat aligned in bike stuff here over the years.

Plus, I doubt there won't be a SLR frame to move the Di2 from the 2008 Addict by end of 2017 Season here.

Steve B.

12/31/16 3:22 PM

"Fook that, if you want something and can both afford and justify the cost... Nuf said! "

Not to hijack the thread but I used this exact logic to drive away with a spanking new Subaru Outback on Thursday. I also justified with "old folks need luxury" to explain heated seats, etc...

Reply to topic    

Campyman

12/31/16 4:23 PM

Domane

You'll love it.
Getting the 700 Series Carbon makes it the same build as the Team Bike. Were you able to order it with the Team Geometry or the Stock Geometry?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/31/16 4:51 PM

Geometry

I got the stock geometry. I'm 66 and my hard rides are Gran Fondo type things, so the stock endurance geometry is what I was looking for. Doing a 14 hour ride in April and I think an aero racing position would get old pretty fast for me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/31/16 5:03 PM

That H1 Headtube is pretty fookin short, is the team HT even shorter.

When I looked at the 60CM Domane Koppenbergm frame before I got the Proj_1 Madone... I was like, I don't think so! But that Viper red got me right away.

I used to be so anti Trek for so long, what happened?

Campyman

12/31/16 9:31 PM

Domane

The Koppenburg team frame is closer to H1 with more tire clearance.
Check out a You Tube Video called Domane:Go Anywhere, Do Anything
I have to admit I've become a Trek fan the past few years, and not because I live in WI.
My Domane 6.9 frame built out with Chorus 11sp Mechanical floats over the crappy roads where I live. If I had waited 4 months I would have gotten the SLR over my 6.9. The combination on the adjustable Seat Iso Speed matched either the front ISO Speed is a true dream to ride.
This past spring I test rode a Domane SLR and a Madone. The Madone was a faster bike but not as forgiving as the SLR. I'm 58 and have moved on from the aggressive position of a race bike and want the comfort of the Domane.
My newest ride is a Farley.... what a trip that is to ride across the snow with 4psi in both tires.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -