Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Endurance bike - Infinito v. Domane
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

12/20/16 2:09 PM

Thanks Marc (again)

I did read the DC Rainmaker review and I'm sort of in the same place - don't know if it's worth the cost (actually I'm pretty sure it's not worth it on any objective/performance basis) but it looks like fun to have!

One way for me to justify spending some $ on a bike is that I should use some of my ill-gotten gains from the Trump Rally before the House of Cards collapses....

Nick, I'm sure the Lynskey would be more than fine for my humble purposes, but at this point I'm more interested in trying something new and goofy (Isospeed, Countervail, etap etc.) Not because I'm convinced it will be any better, just different.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/20/16 2:42 PM

"Not because I'm convinced it will be any better, just different."

Me too, kinda wanna see what I am not missing. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

12/20/16 2:53 PM

I'd like to try either of those options (Countervail or Domane) but I'm on a downsizing kick, don't circulate the bikes I have enough, and we're planning a move to a substantially smaller place (.5 acre vs 7, small garage vs barn) in the not too distant future, so I need to curb the urges. Did buy a Pacenti sl23 wheelset though just to try tubeless.[/i]

Sparky

12/20/16 2:58 PM

"Did buy a Pacenti sl23 wheelset though just to try tubeless"

How is the tire selection process going?

greglepore

12/20/16 7:16 PM

Well, here's the thing. Figured I was buying Schwalbe One's as a pair is only 75 bucks from Chainreaction, but the suckers are shipping with brand new Vittoria Corsa + tube tires, which I haven't tried. Me has dilemma.

Sparky

12/20/16 7:21 PM

Be a cleaner operation to try the tires/tubes first of course. But I can see the dilemma. ;)

dan emery

12/20/16 9:20 PM

Dilemma?

OK Greg, you buy a wheel set just to try tubeless, but it comes with tube tires, so you don't get tubeless (but pay for the wheels you got only to try tubeless).

Like, I bought a car to drive in winter, but it comes with summer tires, so I'm not going to drive it in winter.

Logic fail?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/20/16 9:51 PM

One might assume [I did] the Schwalb 'Ones' are the tubeless 'Ones', no??

The velvet ride of the Vitts VS the 'Ones'. I totally get it. ;)

But the Vitts will wear out so fast you won't have to wait too long to mount the 'Ones'. ;)

"Countervail" to me feels like the best dampening Titanium, without the flex of Ti that mutes that well. ;)

Marc N.

12/20/16 11:51 PM

A helping hand

Dan - If I may be so bold and offer some advice that a friend gave me not too long ago..."life is short, buy the damn bike.' :-)

Brian Nystrom

12/21/16 5:58 AM

Adding to the pot

Has anyone here ridden the latest version of the Cannondale SuperSix Evo? The original has been touted as having a smooth ride for a race bike and the new one is supposed to be even better, but I don't know what it has for tire clearance. The other C'dale option would be the Synapse, which is more in line with the bikes being discussed here. However, it's disk-only in the Hi-Mod frame. Has anyone ridden the latest version?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/21/16 7:58 AM

Thanks Marc (again)

I expect the advice may be followed, but as always the Devil is in the Details.

And dammit Brian, don't make this even more confusing!

I'm not looking for a multiuse bike (I have a cross bike for dirt) and don't really care about tire clearance above 28, and don't want discs (sorry, to my eye, discs on a road bike are Fugly....)

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/21/16 8:01 AM

Brian-I have the earlier one, and have seen a number of the new ones. Real 28's fit, but "wide 28"s are an issue. My previous generation bike is all its cracked up to be. My only complaint is the the infernal rear internal cable routing. It really requires a good set of magnets for replacement, and even then is no fun.

Dan-not a logic fail, the wheels were priced such that the tires were essentially free. Haven't tried the latest Vittorias yet, so it was a bonus. I might move them to another wheelset.

Sparky

12/21/16 8:13 AM

"requires a good set of magnets for replacement, and even then is no fun. "

Are yo familiar with the string/vacuum snaking method? Not that it is more fun or anything. ;)

greglepore

12/21/16 8:33 AM

Yes...it sucks. Seriously, the issue is that the front opening is barely wide enough for the cable, so attaching it to the string is difficult. I could probably drill it out a bit. Also, the cable routing to there seriously sucks-it barely to the rear of the headtube on the side of the toptube, and I ended up using a flexy v brake noodle (a trick used by the team that I saw on another forum) to smooth it up.

My only complaint about the bike though.It builds up really light as well-mine sits at about 6.6 with old 7970 di2, hollowgram sl's (not the crazy light sisl2) and ee brakes. It has a seriously heavy wheelset on it, when I put the LEW tubies on it comes down another 500g.

The new one does have an odd size seatpost which limits your options, but the stock post is pretty nice.

Sparky

12/21/16 9:45 AM

I still have a Six/13. Fits 30mm tires, ride super nice, made in the US. No plan to off it. Isn't worth enough to bother.

dfcas

12/21/16 1:41 PM

Dan- I don't think you have any options but to buy the Domane complete with eTap, and buy the Infinito CV as a frameset, and have it built with eTap. Then you will know.

Seriously, it looks way cheaper to the buy the Bianchi as a frameset and have it built up. Not that cheaper matters in this case.

Brian Nystrom

12/22/16 5:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Greg

I did some digging around and found that as you say, the new Evo accepts 28mm tires, has more vertical compliance at both ends, but is laterally stiffer, lighter and considerably more aerodynamic. In all, it sounds great!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/22/16 2:06 PM

"more vertical compliance at both ends, but is laterally stiffer, lighter and..."

same great taste fewer calories? ;)

dan emery

12/22/16 6:02 PM

and...

it corners on rails and disappears beneath you.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/22/16 6:28 PM

It is good that instead of just trying to build bikes stiffer the makers are trying to build some compliance into the frames. Maybe well get back to lightweight fast tires again.

Sparky

12/22/16 7:52 PM

" instead of just trying to build bikes stiffer the makers are trying to build some compliance into the frames"

Kinda what I was ranting about when I got the Roubaix SL4. The 2016 Madone I built last year is not exactly other than tight and racy, not really a compiant feel. I was whining about the tapered fork/steerer with a 1-1/2" lower bulk as being over the top and still think it is.

Kinda has me back on the Scott Addict, one of the stiffest bikes you could get and good enough for HTC team in 2008-9. But maybe not the fairest of comparisons, HMX carbon on the Scott is more in line with the upper end OCLV and FACT Spesh the ones I experienced are. Maybe it is that little lively feel that comes with that upper carbon which is appealing.

The Infinito had that is spades without the mechanical gimmickry of the Domane. Yet I want to try the SLR. ;)

dan emery

12/23/16 2:36 PM

Foiled

Well I'm in New Haven and stopped by a Bianchi dealer but they only had one 55 Infinito, too small.

As to relative cost, Dan, on the Bianchi website they have a MRSP for a Super Record EPS Infinito of $11,399, so it can get up there as well depending on what you put on it. They don't show an etap build. Actually the Infinito frame is more $ than the Domane SLR. So either way you pays your $ and makes your choices.

I doubt I will be able to get a test ride on either properly sized. But hey, I didn't have a test ride on the RS!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/23/16 3:05 PM

"it corners on rails and disappears beneath you"

Well, my SuperSix HiMod does handle extremely well and it does so with very little thought on my part, so it's close to the above ideal. I like it somewhat better than the Domane 5.9 that I've ridden, though it's certainly no slouch. The 'dale has it all over the Madone I rode in 2012, which had an oddly vague feel on center. Unfortunately, I can't be of any more help than that, as I haven't ridden anything else lately.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/16 4:16 PM

"the Madone I rode in 2012, which had an oddly vague feel on center."

Yeah, they took a crooked walk around the GEOM to get to the trail figure they wanted I'd say. It is only noticeable for a mile or too. And again later when you do that tight U turn from a track stand stop without dabbing and get reminded.

I much prefer [for the first mile or two] The Six13 and Addict front ends. More of a linear neutral-ness if that makes sense.

I think Trek was attempting to 'endurance' the trail and on my 60CM did it with a 73.9^HTA and 4.0 Rake. I seem to like 43-5mm of rake when I can notice it. ;)

I wonder if 5-6 year down the road the CV might maintain a bit more timelessness fashion without the mechanical gimmickry over the Domane.

My Madone is my beater rocket ride bike. When I say Rocket I mean I ride in the jet wash of the folks that just dropped me...

Brian Nystrom

12/24/16 6:15 PM

What I noticed most with the Madone...

...was that the bars had to be turned a few degrees before they firmed up and felt "normal". There was little resistance to that initial few degrees and it made the bike seem unstable. It tended to wander like a car with vague power steering. I did get used to it, but I can't say that I was ever comfortable with it. I haven't experienced anything similar with another bike.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -