HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Winter 2016/17 smart trainer thread
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

1/31/17 4:25 PM

I seem to be the only 1 interested in this thread but I'll post anyway. A good deal came along on a Tacx Neo Smart and I couldn't resist. What a nice trainer, smooth and quiet but best of all it reads higher watts than my old one so I'm happy/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

1/31/17 5:03 PM

Well, you scared most of us off with comments like:

"Damn that was hard and I don't think I'll do that again." Well more what you did that caused you to say that.

And

"but best of all it reads higher watts"

;)

dfcas

1/31/17 5:56 PM

It still reads pretty low watts as I am pretty weak overall. I'll have to try the roads simulation patterns on it. It will mimic riding over cobbles. This is at once the coolest and most useless feature a trainer could have.

dan emery

1/31/17 6:04 PM

Cool

I ought to get that cobble simulation feature to test how my Domane absorbs shock....when I can ride, that is.

Gimme another 4 weeks, I'll be back into the trainer thing.

Hammer on, Dan

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/31/17 8:02 PM

What is a good deal on a Neo smart-1100 or so?

dfcas

1/31/17 8:07 PM

What's you email address?

greglepore

2/1/17 7:58 AM

glepore123 using gmail...

Pino

2/3/17 11:44 AM

Invested in the NeoSmart also. My power went down some 40W at FTP, but is more like IRL.
Love the quietness and have been riding on Zwift a lot.

dfcas

2/3/17 3:33 PM

Pino-

I thought The Netherlands was flat until I bought the Tacx video of the Amstel Gold Race. Holy crap.

henoch

2/13/17 9:12 AM

To Chime in a bit, I rode the Col Du Telegraph yesterday in Virtual Training, well not the whole thing, did 4.5 miles of it, 1695 feet of elevation, at an average grade of 7.2%, took me 30 minutes.
That was enough for me....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/13/17 10:41 AM

I have a new strategy this season. For 6 weeks I am mostly doing JRA sessions on the CT [computrainer] bike wise for inside cycling.

But spend most of my time in the CT den on the floor. I have 6 sessions so far doing core work, squats, inclined crunches, bird dogs, ball and back exercises. I am managing some outside rides as we pop 50^ here and there 1-2 time a week. I can say the core work has obvious results I notice most standing all the way to the top on inclines.

My idea was to get my middle tight before the feeling of raising the bar again happens. Or rather the raising happens. ;) Which IS counter productive. A little help from my 'Aleve Tens' device is also helping here.

My friends Madone is on the 2nd computrainer, and we do more spirited ERG sessions when he gets his ars over here during the week. But his 93 year old Mom fell and fractured, and he is loosing the time for the CT visits. It is a lot more fun when both CT are fired up. Like when we had two greyhounds running together instead of just one. ;)

dfcas

2/13/17 11:45 AM

I finishe Alpe D'Huez a few days ago. I thought I remembered that the grade softened near the top but my memory is clearly fading. It stayed pretty steep until the last K or so. In any case, it felt good to go over the top. I'm gonna take a break from monster climbs and do some rides with up and down/shorter climbs. I plan to go really hard on the short climbs and work on FRC.

Sparky

2/13/17 11:58 AM

"softened near the top but my memory is clearly fading"

If it was me, I'd say something different as to the source of the 'fading'. ;O

;)

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/16/17 5:36 AM

I see folks posting Zwift on Strava. What's up with that, an app? Yet another thing to spend money on. A computrainer add on?

sanrensho

2/16/17 8:23 AM

Zwift=Virtual racing and training app.

Can be used with smart trainers such as Computrainer as well as any dumb trainer using a speed/cadence sensor (as long as Zwift supports it with a power curve).

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/22/17 5:58 PM

Last week's of Zerg videos Moniger training series

2 x 6 FRC's then 1 hour tempo

Argh my legs are talking to me tonight

This indoors when it was 55 degrees outdoors

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/22/17 6:17 PM

Zerg?

Is that a hybrid of Zwift and Erg?

Hoping to resume my winter training program one week from today.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/22/17 6:26 PM

"This indoors when it was 55 degrees outdoors"

55^ as long as it is dry is getting good for me. I can loose one layer as compared to today @ 42-3^, but at least the sun was out. ;)

Hell, upper 30s with no wind but sun will have me out for at least an hour...

greglepore

2/23/17 5:40 AM

Yes they are efficient Rick, I can understand why indoors...

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/23/17 9:05 AM

Longer Harder

It gets harder As the months roll forward to March and workouts get harder and longer and the weather looks more enticing to ride outside. I enjoy the paceline rides the best sometimes I really get into it but I avoid looking at Kathy Watts she looks like she is always struggling, Moninger as always has a poker face. I do a version of the FRC's outside and actually find them easier on the road. My version on thr road is giving myself 1 minute so if I do a 30 sec effort I have 30 secs to recover, 45 and only 15, 15 I have 45 secs to recover and do this for maybe 40 -50mins on a loop by my house, on the ERG I find it more difficult despite it being 40 on 20 off......I need this for crits as I suck

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/15/17 8:47 AM

With the cold spell and snow I'm back to Ergvideo ...

I agree, poor Kathy has weird form. Scott and Tom just chug along.

I did the 4 sets of 6 FRC and 1 hr tempo on Saturday, off to gym on Sunday, Monday was 6 sets of 4 minutes at 115% (w 4 minutes rest) and yesterday was 6 sets of spin ups ( really like track pursuit starts) and then 1 hr of sweet spot paceline. I'm cooked today.

dan emery

3/16/17 5:31 PM

Winter training

I was chugging along pretty good on the ergvideos when I broke my leg 2 months ago. Scott is definitely the most fluid, Kathy is a bit awkward, Tim is pretty good, and I thought Prehn a bit sluggish. But I'm just being catty here.

Now that I can ride the CT again it's interesting to try to figure out what I should do in a period where I'm supposed to use crutches walking.

Ive been able to ride better than I thought. After starting at virtually no resistance, I've found that moderate resistance is actually more comfortable. I've taken the approach that if I can ride at 90 rpm with no pain, i can ratchet it up. Tonite I got up to 250 watts for a minute, felt fine but cadence dropped to 87 so I stopped there. I am also trying to spin it up a bit at low resistance, got up to 110 yesterday but today got twinges around 100 so stopped. My leg feels great after these sessions.

I'm probably doing more work with the good leg but not consciously.

Maybe I should talk to Smelly about a series "Dan's Broken Leg Training Program."

Reply to topic    

henoch

3/18/17 1:48 PM

Col du Télégraph

With the latest round of snow, i was stuck indoors today so I decided to do the
Col du Télégraph, in Virtual Trainer, 7.5 Miles with 2700 feet of climbing, took me 55 minutes, man my legs hurt.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/18/17 2:05 PM

Not as bad as if you went on to do Galibier...

dan emery

3/18/17 2:37 PM

No mountains for me

But I'm getting there. 2 hours on the CT today, erg mode varying the wattage. A few 2 minute intervals, building to one at my pre-injury FTP. That one didn't feel smooth but I kept above 90 with no pain. These workouts seem great for the leg as it feels good and I walk better after.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -