HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Getting chased by a bird your own size

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

11/24/16 1:13 AM

Getting chased by a bird your own size

Video shot just outside Canberra. I don't think the emu was really serious - they've been clocked running at 50kph over short distances and it would be hard to stay away from a determined one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM2sWR_YwmY

Mind you, I'd rather be attacked by an emu than a cassowary. An emu will just peck at you - the cassowary is much the same size and has large talons on its feet that can inflict quite a substantial wound - in Papua New Guinea the natives used to use the talons as spear points.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

11/24/16 9:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nick, on behalf of the United States Cyclingforum folk I want to wish you Happy Thanksgiving!

The national holiday of the United States, often described as "uniquely American," always held on the fourth Thursday of November, holder of the title "Turkey Day," and one that, after reading of your travels and global awareness, is a holiday you are likely to be keenly aware.

The first picture in the article of the table spread doesn't do the main course justice, so here's the second one... AND A SALUTE TO YOUR TIMELY POST!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

11/24/16 10:49 AM

Happy thanksgiving

That is one crazy bird. If you know the cyclist, I recommend he watch this instructional safety video on how handle encounter with emus. One fun fact, the video was made by Australia's all time top grossing entertainers.

Reply to topic    

April

11/24/16 11:06 AM

Nick, you're making me want to move to Australia!

Who needs to fight the crowd of Americans in Canada? ;)

dan emery

11/24/16 4:46 PM

Hmmm

It would take a big oven to roast one of those suckers....

I looks up the cassowary - yikes!! I understand 'Roos can do a pretty good job with their toenail as well.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

11/25/16 4:52 AM

quote:
I understand 'Roos can do a pretty good job with their toenail as well.

Actually, the main problem with kangaroos is that they have zero road sense, and they're just as likely to leap at you as away from you when you come along, whether in a car or on a bike. I've had a few close encounters with them on the bike; three of my cycling friends have come off after hitting them (or being hit by them); and across the country there are about 20,000 collisions between cars and kangaroos each year. I hit one in our car one night a few weeks ago - killed the roo, unfortunately, and also totaled the front bumper and radiator grille on the car.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

11/25/16 10:40 AM

Deer are our challenge, between being a herd animal and "zero road sense" individually. In the car I've watched one by the road for a few hundred yards, cruise control on, foot hovering on the brake pedal, and at the instant of no return he bounded into my grille. I hope he prospered but I doubt it.

I've come away from a few of those situations, including a total loss, shaking my head, wondering when natural selection will finally kick in. Since I stopped asking "why me?" and simply accepted they are attracted to my presence behind the wheel, the carnage has ceased. </humor>

KerryIrons

11/25/16 12:48 PM

Crash bang

quote:
across the country there are about 20,000 collisions between cars and kangaroos each year.

Ha! Chump change! We have 50,000 car-deer collisions per year in Michigan. And deer have a higher center of gravity and so are more likely to hit the windshield. Rats with hooves.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/25/16 1:31 PM

20k VS 50k. What are the per capita figures?

Nick Payne

11/25/16 2:22 PM

When I look at the figures, the population of Michigan is about ten million and the area of the state about 250,000 square likometres. That's about 40% of the population of Australia in an area about 3% of the size of Australia - not really surprising that the collisions are more frequent with everything crammed much closer together...

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/25/16 6:32 PM

Which is a scarier encounter: helmet hunting magpies or emus?

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

11/26/16 3:42 PM

I can't compare the two, as I haven't been chased by an emu. However, emu attacks would be vanishingly rare compared to magpie attacks. Every cyclist around here gets regularly attacked by magpies during nesting season, to the extent that quite a lot of them ride around with a forest of zip ties poking up from their helmets. Here's a group of riders from the local touring club:

People even publish scholarly articles on magpie attacks: https://theconversation.com/from-cable-ties-to-losing-eyes-how-to-survive-magpie-season-17579

Reply to topic    

Tim123

11/27/16 6:20 AM

I'd rather get hit by a magpie (and regularly do in the Adelaide Hills) than stick zip ties on my helmet! Mostly they just try and intimidate and I just ignore them. There a a couple of nasty ones that have drawn blood, but they don't bother me too much.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/5/16 12:07 PM

Man vs Roo

OK, hats off to this guy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3998278/Man-fights-kangaroo-Australia-save-pet-dog.html

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -