Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Zwift vs TrainerRoad
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rickk

11/26/16 8:53 AM

Zwift vs TrainerRoad

Winter in Montreal means cross country skiing is one great outdoor option, however has anyone tried Zwift to help pass the minutes or hours on indoor home trainers in a slighty more interesting manner?
I dont have a smart trainer. Just a regular kurt kinetic fluid trainer - there fore only "virtually estimated power numbers". Then again, power watts numbers dont really interest me. I'm just looking for ways to help motivate mind numbing time on trainer.
Any tips or experiences/comments appreciated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/26/16 10:05 AM

A post excerpt of mine from a previous thread on the subject:

My media of choice are some you tube VIDs I sniped with ANT video download add-in. These VIDs are mostly Motorcycle go pros of things like Pacific coast runs, Blueridge MTN runs etc. I run them in a very slow mode more akin to cycle VS motorcycle speeds. Audio muted with all kinds of episodically composed music playing. [Think 'Land of the Midnight Sun' by Return to Forever]

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

11/26/16 10:56 AM

Haven't used Zwift

But I've heard it spoken well of by an accomplished cyclist.

I use a computrainer with ergvideos, and I've found that videos and looking at data make indoor sessions pretty interesting, and allow you to really improve if you want to get into structured training.

Of course, I forget about all that stuff when I get outdoors...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/26/16 12:50 PM

I'm using the Tacx system with their smart trainer and their videos. Each video for an ipad is $11 and they have all the famous climbs and euro races. Most videos are the last 30-40 K.

I have a Bushido Smart trainer but if I did it over I'd buy the lower priced Vortex smart model.

Much more interesting than riding a dumb trainer.

I have not used Zwift or Trainer road but it is compatible with those and I have heard good things. I just ride films and suffer. I did a hill a few days ago in Italy that took an hour to get up, but I was too stubborn to quit.

KerryIrons

11/27/16 9:42 AM

Reading

While maybe not motivating, I just read while on the rollers. Time goes by and I catch up through the winter on all the stuff that piled up during the summer. If I just sit down and read, I tend to fall asleep (no matter how much sleep I get at night) but on the rollers I don't have that problem :)

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

11/27/16 12:47 PM

I'm assuming you are using TrainerRoad already? If so, look into PerfPro, which has extensive customisability and is a one-time software purchase with frequent updates and active development. I made the switch 1.5 years ago and could not be happier.

I've never used Zwift, as my older basement laptop won't run it (slow graphics card). The virtual ride software is great for getting in longer unstructured indoor rides by keeping you distracted. I'm sure that Zwift would serve that purpose, adding in the virtual competition factor.

I personally use Cycleops VirtualTraining for longer/unstructured rides and when interval training gets stale. With VT you can race against previous rides by other users and yourself. Managed three hours yesterday riding three different courses in Japan. Personally, that would be tough for me to accomplish using interval software, but I was never bored using VT.

One setup I have seen is running virtual software alongside interval software on two separate computers/ANT sticks. Enabling you to ride structured workouts on virtual courses.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/27/16 6:40 PM

Changing it up

Just rode the Two Climbs in Mallorca ergvideo. Whole different type of climbing as it is one hairpin after another, and the riders attack the apex, so there is a power spike in every turn (with erg you gotta do what the riders do). Not easy for my early season legs. But I need to come to terms with linked hairpins as that's where I'm headed. I'll probably take the opposite approach and stay to the outside (all roads are closed in the event) but I think it will still be a much different rhythm than the steady state climbing I do here, and the video gives you some preparation. So the video was fairly hard, but not boring at all!

Reply to topic    

zeke

11/29/16 9:54 PM

I've not used Zwift. But I've enjoyed TrainerRoad with a Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer. I've mostly used 2 Sufferfest video workouts I purchased. There are a lot of options you can use with TrainerRoad and I haven't explored them all but like the Sufferfest workouts.

Reply to topic    

henoch

11/30/16 8:38 AM

I am going to a Zwift open house type event tonight.
If anyone has anything they would like me to ask/find out I'll be happy to do that.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/1/16 7:46 AM

Did you try the vr ?

Rickk

12/1/16 8:44 AM

Thanks guys

Seems like many of you - besides myself and KerryIrons have made the jump to smart trainers - coupled with available software simulating climbing and descending or drafting in epic/classic/race courses or events.

My present trainer is a dumb-trainer, and I'm not quite ready to lay out $700 - $1700+ canadian dollars - although from Dan emery's and others' descriptions - it sure sounds tempting.

For now - I think I'll opt forZwift with my dumb KK trainer - and decide later if will splurge for a smarttrainer upgrade - all to help pass the time quicker while indoors.
My free trial of Zwift expired this week and I simply went on the KK - old style yesterday, i.e. with music and determination. Subjectively - I found the time was passing way slowerr compared to the Zwift virtual reality method.

In case I do go all out and do purchase a smart trainer - the bike shop was explaining the different versions available: i.e. maximum motor/wattage capacity (eg. 2000 watts max! vs 1200 watts max), capability to simulate ascents AND descents etc... etc... , direct drive vs old-style using your own bikes/tire/wheel, etc. etc. Head was spinning after 5 minutes!

:)

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/1/16 9:55 AM

VR @Greg

I didn't try it, it seemed like it would be super sweaty to be riding hard and also having this huge thing on my face.
I spoke to one of my buddies that was there and did try it and he said it was kind of freaky, because you come into a turn and you want to actually lean into the turn but then you almost fall off your bike.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/1/16 9:57 AM

Smart Trainer Deal

BTW, if this thread has anyone interested in picking up a smart trainer, competitive cyclist has the Cycleops PowerBeam on sale today for $399. which is a crazy cheap price.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/1/16 2:49 PM

Yeah, lots of choices. And there's no way I'd go back to books or music or watching hockey (go all out for a shift, ease off at the change). I did two actually enjoyable hours yesterday, 1 hr of paceline work, followed by the approach and beginning of the Col de Telegraphe.

I'd go for direct drive-I have an older tire based trainer (computrainer) and if I didn't have a bike dedicated to it all off season it would be a pain when I do want to ride outdoors. A direct drive is much easier to deal with in this regard.

Max load? Well, unless you ride simulated Flanders hills, something that does a 10% grade is fine, as the long Alpine climbs rarely exceed that, and 8-10 over an hour or two will kick your butt anyway.

And yeah, the powerbeam, with its limitations, is a tremendous deal at that price; a gateway drug :)

henoch

12/1/16 3:32 PM

Is the Powerbeams main shortcoming that it isn't direct drive or are there other things?

Reply to topic    

Rickk

12/1/16 6:20 PM

@greg

Thanks for the additional info re % incline choices and direct drive vs not.
I have several bikes (duh, like most addicts on this forum) - so keeping one on a trainer year-round, is not an issue re. not being able to remove it quickly to ride outdoors with.

Are their significant other benefits with direct drives vs not? Seems the direct drive versions are generally more expensive.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/2/16 7:59 AM

A couple of things about the Powerbeam, and please keep in mind that at the sale price its a third of the price of a kickr or Tacx Neo.

First, its not Ant Fe-c compliant. Fe-c is the open source trainer protocol that has been adopted to work across all platforms. The powerbeam uses ant, but not Fe-c, so its functionality across various platforms is hit or miss. You'll need to scope out what works with it-trainer road does, as does Cyclop's own software, but not all-for example veloreality. It reports power, but won't allow the veloreality software to control it. Cyclops had this issue when they first did the powertap hubs, they used a private ant there as well.

Its not direct drive. I view that as a negative, and I'm a computrainer user. The manner of mounting/dismounting the bike is more complicated in that there's a wheel change involved (you really need a trainer tire, thus a dedicated trainer wheel). I find it easier just to use a spare bike as a dedicated trainer bike, and not everyone has that luxury. Direct drive avoids this, and is easier to set up/calibrate, and never slips and and and

The powerbeam has a slightly lower max wattage and grade, but we're mere mortals, so not an issue.

So yeah, its a great trainer-read the DC rainmaker reviews-with some real limitations that you may or may not care about. I happen to love veloreality and ergvideo, and without fe-c it doesn't tick those boxes.

greglepore

12/2/16 8:01 AM

One other thing-if Cyclops is actually shipping its new Magnus, its 599 and does FE-C which is worth the extra $200 in my book.

Rickk

12/2/16 10:11 AM

Thanks again Greg and others

Wow. Excellent "insider info".

I only began contemplating ergvideo in-response to Dan's post re. the Mallorca course.
Up to that point I was basically thinking about using Zwift or TrainerRoad (which are both somewhat capable with the 'dumb' KK trainer, but without any motor feedback - and both are also compatible in 'smart' mode with the Cycleops Powerbeam - at the very reasonable price of $399* - no doubt - partly because of the newer models coming out).

However, I was not aware of that minor but important detail re. Ant+ vs. Ant+ FE-C - if one ever thinks of venturing outside of Zwift, TrainerRoad or Cycleops' own Smart software, to try ergvideo / veloreality etc.

Thanks also for helping put things in perspective re. the price differential on Cycleops' Magnus vs Powerbeam units.

Finally, for my situation, the direct-drive aspect is not necessarily a dealbreaker; however, the Ant+ vs Ant+ FE-C capability may be.

*N.B. As of 11:00 E.S.T today - Powerbeam is at $499

Last edited by Rickk on 12/2/16 10:44 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/2/16 10:38 AM

I would also insist on Fe-C. The thing I like about the Tacx videos is they are only $11 for a tablet, and I was able to try many different ones. Trying to get up the courage to buy Alpe du-huez (sp?) .

zeke

12/2/16 11:43 AM

My gateway drug was the Tacx Vortex Smart. It's not direct drive and I'm sure it's not the best trainer out there. But it is a smart trainer that's been fun to use with some of the "virtual reality" programs out there. I bought it here: http://www.bike-discount.de. Presently listed for $321. I don't own a power meter - so I've not been able to verify the power readings from the trainer. But for my purposes, it's been great and very cheap compared to the competition.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

12/2/16 3:09 PM

That site has some pretty good deals, not only on the tacx but alos the Elite Rampa. Is shipping expensive?

zeke

12/2/16 6:37 PM

I just looked back at my invoice - I paid $22 for DHL shipping from Germany for the trainer and a tire. Not too bad.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

12/3/16 7:25 AM

As per DCRainmaker's observations - Elite and Tacx trainers are generally cheaper in Europe, whereas Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic etc. are cheaoer on this side of the pond.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/3/16 4:36 PM

Stelvio

Just did the Stelvio North ergvideo, the epic climb where Coppi detonated the Giro, and the namesake of the new Alfa SUV. 2 hours, 47 hairpins, impossible pace. I finished, but only with ratcheting my FTP down. Still not easy. It's one thing to have an FTP, but another entirely to be able to spike over it repeatedly. I'm still working with an estimated FTP, have to do the godforsaken test soon. I figure when I can do the full ride scaled to my real FTP I'll be ready for Mallorca!

But again, 2 hours and not boring in the slightest...

Maybe if I get one of these it will put me in the proper mindset:

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/alfa-romeo-stelvio

[/u]

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -