HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Talk about lousy brakes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

2/7/17 2:18 PM

Talk about lousy brakes

I bought a used cross bike that had cantis on it with carbon wheels and carbon specific brake pads. People who complain about cantis should be thankful they they dont have carbon pads and rims. The bike coasted to a stop on level ground....

I moved the rims over to my road bike, thinking that dual pivot calipers are so much stronger that it would at least stop in a decent manner, though probably not as well as basic aluminum wheels.

One of the reason I bought the bike was to dip my toes in the high end carbon wheel pool without spending a lot of money. They are Reynolds Attack wheels which are said to be OK for cross and don't have a weight limit. I didn't want to ride them daily and I don't ride my road bike that often so I hope they hold up on it. I also hope I'm able to stop it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/7/17 2:44 PM

I gave up, at my weight I just need brakes that are no ambiguous. Now they have basalt coatings I have not tried, so I do not know how 'improved' they are in braking performance now. My last set was Reynolds dv46ul tubulars. Tried a few different carbon specific pads as well. Reynolds now are woven scrim brake surfaces, better/newer than basalt?? dunno.

Every used set I looked at had brake scars. I figured if cheap enough I'd give newer tech a try as long as I could resell without a loss.

Bonding AL brake tracks adds weight and a place for a bond to fail...

All that said, the Pacenti SL23 wheels I built have a grooved machining, the grip is completely confidence inspiring. For hauling my fat ars down....

Sparky

2/7/17 2:48 PM

Zipp apparently uses the woven scrim now as well.

For the ambiguity Olympics, read:

Do You Need to Replace Your Carbon Rims?

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/maintenance/do-you-need-replace-your-carbon-rims

Jesus Saves

2/8/17 12:43 PM

koan for cyclists

When lousy brakes talk, do they usually squeak?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -