Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Post Election Trump
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve B.

11/2/16 6:39 PM

So the issue is Trump vs. Clinton.

Clinton is dirty. No doubt. Hands in every pie, selling strategic uranium assets, bad judgement on using a private e-mail server for work related issues, etc... etc....

Trump is a sexual predator, racist, bigoted and egotistical moron. No brains. Hillary is not sitting there at a briefing on how to run the country and asking "So we have all these nukes, why don't we use them ?".

Clinton is the most scrutinized candidate ever and there's no question a lot of dirt will be revealed. Is there any squeaky clean candidate politician in DC these days, or any place ?.

Or do we want a complete newbie who hasn't a clue, cannot take criticism (hows that going to work with Russia or China ?), hates everybody that isn't him.

I mean really, Donald ?. You have to be frigging kidding. Clinton is so better prepared to run this country it's mind boggling that anybody cannot see that.

Reply to topic    

dddd

11/3/16 12:20 AM

So how did this country get to the point where voters have been convinced that they had to choose to vote for a candidate from one of these two parties who put up an uninterrupted string of so-faulty candidates, and where every vote is a fear vote, just to keep one of the faulty candidates from reaching office?
I'm surprised that it didn't occur to a majority of voters long ago that only a vote for one of the other party's candidates will ever break the dominance of these two useless, sold-out parties. Even if the 3rd/4th candidate doesn't win "this" time around, every vote for a 3rd/4th party candidate builds a base of support for possible future candidates who will be hard-pressed to be as poor of a choice as recent candidates put forth by the two-party duopoly.
Maybe it's the brainwashing we receive in school, where I remember being taught about the two-party democratic system with two parties in congress, etc.
Or more likely it's the brainwashing that we absorb cradle-to-grave by the media?

Reply to topic    

April

11/3/16 2:56 AM

I disagree.

quote:
Even if the 3rd/4th candidate doesn't win "this" time around, every vote for a 3rd/4th party candidate builds a base of support

The people ARE casting their vote to build a "base of support". Many are supporting Trump to express their anger at the current string of poor choices from both party. It just so happen Trump choosed to run as Republican. AKA "one of the 2 major party", rather than and independent.

You argue that Trump is bad candidate. Well, he may be worse than the 3rd party candidate. But I argue those other candidates are nevertheless worse than Hillary. So I shall repeat, I vote for Hillary because she's the best of ALL candidate.

There maybe many flaws with the current election mechanism. But the "string of poor choices" of presidential candidate isn't one of them. Not this year anyway.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

11/3/16 9:49 AM

Steve B. FTW

quote:
So the issue is Trump vs. Clinton.

Steve, I couldn't have said it better.

As to picking candidates, one can argue long and hard about the process we experienced this spring but the Republican primary process showed how their party base thinks. It came down to Trump and Cruz. You can't argue for either one of those guys as "the best the party can come up with" but indeed that was the case. IMO that says SO much about the Republican Party in 2016.

IMO the Clinton vs. Sanders choice was one of electability more than policy because once you take the Democratic Party platform to Washington DC, we all know what happens next. The art of the possible is a long way from the hope of policy wonks.

There is a huge fraction of the electorate who would describe themselves as socially liberal and fiscally conservative but that is because they don't or choose not to understand how much it costs to execute the policies they support. They don't like the religious fundamentalist crazies that pervade the Republican Party and they think that government should cost less than it does. But they want safe food and they want to buy a car seat for their child without having to worry that it is unsafe.

Politicians have spent decades telling people that government is this huge waste of money but they can never deliver on their promises. Until we get to a social standard where truth matters and facts can be discussed, we're going to get more of the same from both parties.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/3/16 11:31 AM

Clinton vs. Sanders....there was a sensible, albeit not-very-charismatic, but electable choice: former Maryland Governor, Martin O'Malley.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/3/16 11:55 AM

" Until we get to a social standard where truth matters and facts can be discussed, we're going to get more of the same from both parties."

Agree 200%. And in escalating fashion, as we see happening.

BTW, is he illiterate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LFkN7QGp2c

Jesus Saves

11/4/16 5:01 AM

Ayotte vs Hassan

"Until we get to a social standard where truth matters and facts can be discussed, we're going to get more of the same from both parties."

That is happening now in the New Hampshire Senate race among two very well respected, seasoned and notably female politicians.

You can catch replays of their televised Wednesday debate on CSPAN. (I watched on Wednesday and last night)

Thankfully, within reason, they have been pretty good at limiting the amount of presidential race stink infiltrate their race.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2016/09/battle-senate

Reply to topic    

PLee

11/7/16 8:37 AM

Odds are that Trump will be in prison before Clinton is impeached.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/7/16 10:04 AM

FBI needs some investigating. Trump getting burried by these up an coming court cases appeaps to me. But is he any less teflon than the Clintons really?

Janet Reno passing the day before another Clinton is possibly voted in is interesting. RIP

Brian Nystrom

11/7/16 10:33 AM

Neither will make it through a full term

They're both so dirty and corrupt that whoever wins is likely to be impeached on some scandal/crime and thrown out of office. I the long run, we're probably voting for which VP candidate will make the better President.

Reply to topic    

PLee

11/7/16 11:17 AM

Janet Reno was an interesting Attorney General. I have enormous respect for her, but I also spoke immediately after her in front of a gala dinner audience of 800 or so Asian-American attorneys in the midst of the Wen Ho Lee situation and called her out on the way he was treated. It was an interesting experience . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/7/16 11:38 AM

Reno: then there was the cuban gonzalez crises.

"both so dirty and corrupt"

Question in my mind is this. Which is 'more' likely to remain teflon? The actual attorneys, or the rich jerk who outsources it to lawyers that can insulate themselves legally from the clients antics??

As far as VP=POTUS; lets put the guy in the party out of touch with most things that guvs the state with worst environmental 'state' in the oval office.

Not sure what can be said for Hilly's VP choice.

Thank Mother Nature today [and tomorrow] here, look like we will be setting record highs both days most likely. I can drown my election sorrows/pains/angst via riding the newly Di2ed Addict. New toys being best during the honey moon period.

Jesus Saves

11/7/16 11:56 AM

"I never use emails," Trump boasts. "I use a very private, very secure site where one can write whatever they want to and no one can read it It's called Twitter."

"Everyone can see your tweets," a reporter tells him. "Really? And I'm still in this thing?" Trump asks dumbfounded. "America you must really hate this lady."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/7/16 11:58 AM

Additional Trump digs, his wife wants to stop internet bullying...

Starting with deleting her hubby's Twitter account?

daddy-o

11/7/16 5:29 PM

"Not sure what can be said for Hilly's VP choice."

Current Senator and ex gov of arguably the best run state in the union, Virginia. And it manages to be well run no matter who's in the gov's mansion.

Interesting footnote about the office of governor in VA:
They cannot serve consecutive terms.
They can serve multiple terms, it's just they can't remain in office after each one.

Sparky

11/7/16 5:55 PM

I should have said anything bad I guess.

Seems like the markets [here and abroad] liked the FBIs most recent position on crooked Hillary debacle...

Speaking of which, if Trump gets in will our market based retirement shit go down instead of ever so slowly up...

More friends said this to me than not.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/7/16 7:20 PM

We are all screwed.

No choice 2016....

April

11/7/16 7:21 PM

Some traders are hedging against the possibility of a Trump win. It's a lot more real than many people want to believe.

Brexit comes to mind.

PLee

11/8/16 9:29 AM

Lines to vote in my district in Brooklyn were lo-o-o-o-ng this morning, all morning. In a state which will clearly go for Hillary.

Reply to topic    

April

11/8/16 9:42 AM

"In a state which will clearly go for Hillary."

Never take anything for granted!

Not that I'm too work up about New York going to Trump. But one simply shouldn't give in to thoughts that "my vote won't matter".

That said, I think everyone who cares enough WILL vote. At least everyone I know does. Those who don't vote typically don't care enough. (plus those who really dislike BOTH candidates equally)

I always vote in the evening. So far, I've never had to wait in any kind of line.

Matthew Currie

11/8/16 9:57 AM

Well, being from Vermont, where we're rich in candidates but poor in electoral votes, I'm pretty sure my vote won't matter in the final count, but it will matter in some other sense. And I'm pretty confident Vermont will go for Hillary anyway, but if the rest of the country goes insane I intend to be able to say it wasn't my doing.

Alas we don't have voting machines here, but paper ballots. I don't recall whether I mentioned this here, but back in 1968, although I was a bit too young to vote, I accompanied my parents to the polls in Connecticut. They were both in agreement, but had different voting styles, and my dad was a true, dyed-in-the-wool Nixon hater. My mom went in and dickered with the levers, and took some time pretending to think about the vote. My dad strode up to the machine, slammed the curtain shut, and there was one loud bang as he slammed the party lever down, opened the curtain with a bang and left. Technically, electioneering was forbidden at the polls, but he managed to make a statement anyway.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/8/16 11:15 AM

"We are all screwed. No choice 2016...."

Yet one of these two will be POTUS, right? Until impeached anyway... What a world.. wha a wor....

daddy-o

11/8/16 1:11 PM

If the polls are trending my way it will be worth losing the sleep to wait up for the concession speech.

The acceptance speech? W.G.A.S.

April

11/8/16 1:38 PM

Just got a txt from my Mom. ONE SOLID HOUR of waiting to vote!

Fortunately, it's a warm sunny day to be standing outside for an hour. I'm dying to hear what they talk about while standing in line for an hour!

That was NYC. We're talking about liberal central (upper west side), middle of the day.

I hope the line thins out by the time I get off work (I'm registered in my Mom's address)

dan emery

11/8/16 2:32 PM

No line in North Yarmouth

At about 9:30 pretty quiet, you might have to wait a bit @ 7-8 or 5-7.

Fun referenda this year: legalize pot; soak the rich tax to fund education; minimum wage; ranked choice voting; plus the usual bonds.

Just got back from Seattle, where weed is legal. Enjoyed one large, illuminated directional sign: "Stoners - Around the Corner!"

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -