Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Post Election Trump
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/21/16 2:22 PM

" serves no useful purpose other than to gin up people's fears"

I am not having the fanning of embers that by the media per say. Where else and I going to see his reacting via twitter being I don't do twitter.

But surely when his ignorant comments are realized his demeanor becomes more and more obvious.

Apologize to the VP elect, fuck you! What next, executive orders so he can abuse the office levying his grade school vengeance on folks, like a few countries like NK do? That seems strictly Sadam/dictator shit in it's germination stage to me.

He is that jerk kid I heard doing his bully shit in 9th grade all year and finally went up to and floored with out saying a word. Fuck him! You are the POTUS [to be] not the fucking emperor!

I know, just say what you really think, right. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

11/22/16 5:53 PM

The President elect has indicated to the duly elected leadership of the U.K. that Nigel Farage is his choice for British ambassador to the United States.

MP3 of the story on BBC World Service News Hour It gets good at 4:00 with a naughty description of where Trump's suggestion lies in the special relationship between the two countries.

Great analysis and use of the language.

6:15, the arguments presented, he sums it up with "that would be lunacy walking on stilts" for the Brits to act on it.

April

11/22/16 8:24 PM

Well, lunacy aside, he's keeping many elements of the Obama Care. He's distancing himself from the Alt-Right gang by saying he never wanted their support!

Hahaha!!!

I hope those who elected him will be happy! ;-)

Sparky

11/22/16 9:39 PM

"I hope those who elected him will be happy! ;-)"

They will be the next ones rioting for it too!

April

11/22/16 11:21 PM

quote:
They will be the next ones rioting for it too

That would mean they ADMIT they've been fooled. I seriously doubt they have the guts.

On the other hand, I feel for those who voted for third party candidates in the swing states. By throwing away their vote, they too, got what they deserved. (the margin was smaller than the votes for third party in almost ALL the swing states)

KerryIrons

11/23/16 9:47 AM

Alt right distance

From his interview with the NY Times: "It's not a group I want to energize. And if they are energized, I want to look into it and find out why."

It is hard to believe anyone could be this ignorant. Presumably it's a simple "not my fault" response to everything, but to say you need to look into this to find out why, taken on it's face, is a real face palm.

But as has been said, his followers will excuse anything. As he noted about shooting someone on 5th Ave. and being forgiven. It is hard to see how they will ever hold him accountable in any serious way for anything he says or does, or said he would do and doesn't do.

Reply to topic    

April

11/23/16 10:41 AM

"It is hard to see how they will ever hold him accountable in any serious way for anything he says or does, or said he would do and doesn't do."

I don't think anyone in their right mind would "hold" ANY politician to anything they say. Technically, there's nothing the voters can do if the president elect lie through his teeth during the campaign (which is basically what Donald Trump did)

But Trump's supporters were HOPING he would do things a certain way if he got elected. Now that he is elected. But he will do things entirely orthogonal to what he said during the campaign so his supporter will not see any resemblances of the man they elected!

Serve them right!

"his followers will excuse anything. "

Let's hope they're as forgiving as they appeared to be. I doubt that just as much as I doubt they'll admit they've been fooled. (well, the two are the same, by "excusing" him, they can pretend they were never wrong in believing in him in the first place) We shall see

dddd

11/23/16 11:14 AM

This talk of "wasted" votes, keep in mind that of those who voted 3rd party, getting Hillary elected because of supposed party, status-quo or gender preferences likely did not not interest them. Either candidate was simply unworthy of the office.

So "wasted votes" and "got what they deserved" aren't applicable without the false assumption that Hillary would be their preferred choice or be a better president than Trump, which sounds like a partisan (or on some level completely biased) assumption to me.

People will choose 3rd party candidates in more significant numbers when a history of increasing 3rd-party vote gathering becomes established. Looking further down the road, and voting 3rd party, accomplishes this. What are we pretending that Hillary would accomplish, besides more stuff like pardoning financial criminals (as Bill did), marrying off her daughter to the son of a financial criminal, making good on all the sort of "plans" that she spoke of to Goldman-Sachs executives in exchange for millions...

Reply to topic    

April

11/23/16 11:30 AM

Hillary and Trump were the only 2 realistic choices they must choose from. Third party candidates were not. In years or states where there's a clear advantage of one candidate over another, a "protest vote" is just that, a protest vote.

However, people in Florida and Michigan etc KNOWS what's at stake:

"assumption that Hillary would be ... a better president than Trump"

Yes, that's the assumption.

So you're correct, if they believe Trump is no worse than Hillary, then their vote aren't wasted. They should be at peace with their decision. Hence, I'm not wrong in saying they "deserve" to have Trump as their president.

But partisan has nothing to do with it. Those voters don't even have to PREFER Hillary, for whatever reason, or no reason besides to stop Trump being the president. They ONLY need to decide if they can stand Trump being the president. If they can't, their voting for 3rd party ARE indeed "wasted".

Again, they deserve to have Trump as their president!!!

They'd better be at peace with the Trump presidency as those who truly believe Trump is as good a president as Hillary.

That's when ideology meets reality.

Sparky

11/23/16 11:40 AM

Election was fixed, but good by Comey. And they knew he is too well insulated to be held for it...

lrzipris

11/23/16 1:41 PM

What Clinton Might Have Accomplished....

With their lifetime appointments, Supreme Court justices like Scalia or like Ruth Bader Ginsburg (83) and Breyer (78)? With implications for the next several decades, this alone was reason enough to vote for Clinton, despite her serious flaws and faults. Abortion, Citizens United reform, privacy rights vs. increased state surveillance, heightened executive powers...all at risk.

Reply to topic    

Campyman

11/23/16 1:47 PM

Election

All you bleeding heart Liberals need to get over the election...It DONE and OVER, Trump is our next President.
Move on and lets get back to Cycling related topics.

Reply to topic    

April

11/23/16 2:05 PM

How many cycling related threads have YOU contributed???

In a democracy, if you don't contribute, you're then stuck with getting what others want. In this forum, that means political threads by bleeding heart liberals! You're the one who need to get over it.

lrzipris

11/23/16 2:30 PM

Campyman, were you being sarcastic? One of the beautiful things about this forum is that, as an on-line community, citizens discuss all sorts of topics--and do so civilly and respectfully. Somehow, it has avoided the trollish excesses evident throughout the internet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/23/16 2:54 PM

All you bleeding heart Liberals need to get over the election...

Not cool.

Just like trump got over OB winning via years of birth certificate bogus Bullshit? Like that? :0

When the other guy wins, you don't have to be happy about it.

This is a political OT thread. We do lots of OT thread here and have for decades.

Feel free to start a cycling related thread. I do suggest if you want the bleeding heart liberals here to participate in the said thread, you kick up the decorum a itsy bit.

Campyman

11/23/16 2:55 PM

Election and Trump

I reply when I have info that will help out on a Tech issue. I've been a cyclist for over 47 years and don't generally have Cycling related Tech issue to ask about. I do reply to peoples request for Tech info, esp for Campy related question.

This Forum is call "Cycling Forum/Where Cyclist Talk Tech"...If it was going to be forum about elections then they should change the name.

I avoid mindless threads about syrup and other NON CYCLING related threads. But this 9 page of replies about the election on 11/8 is getting a bit over the top and OLD.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

11/23/16 3:02 PM

So avoid it.

Reply to topic    

April

11/23/16 3:03 PM

You can avoid this thread just like all the other non-cycling thread.

"I've been a cyclist for over 47 years and don't generally have Cycling related Tech issue to ask about."

In case you didn't notice, majority of posters on this forum are long time cyclists too. They don't have any more cycling tech issue to ASK about than you do!

For fear of stating the obvious, this forum is pretty quiet EXACTLY for the above reason! If it weren't for all the non-cycling threads, there would be days and weeks if not month with no activity whatsoever! Just look at your own post count. That shows how many QUESTIONS that had been asked by others who are equally long time cyclists, over a 12 year period!

Last edited by April on 11/23/16 3:38 PM; edited 3 times in total

Sparky

11/23/16 3:10 PM

"I avoid mindless threads about syrup and other NON CYCLING related threads. But this 9 page of replies about the election on 11/8 is getting a bit over the top and OLD."

So don't click on it maybe. And again, consider using a little decorum by not calling another user posting something as mindless. Thus calling said user mindless.

There is a good reason the moderators here do not ever have to moderate ever anymore. I tire of folks that think it is OK to be douchie. I had enough of that the new POTUS frankly.

Please have a scotch and relax.

And have a good Turkey day. To all really! ;)

daddy-o

11/23/16 11:04 PM

If anyone, the people who did not cast votes got what they deserved.

The most energized base won.

April

11/24/16 7:15 AM

quote:
If anyone, the people who did not cast votes got what they deserved.

Except they genuinely don't desire anyone else anyway. They're fine with Trump presidency. Not excited but not troubled by it either.

I know one such person.

With all that said, it's only in the swing state that it matters. Plenty of people not vote because they felt their vote don't matter in the heavilly blue or red state (one of my riding buddy). Still, plenty voted 3rd party to register their opinion.

Tom Price

11/24/16 10:25 PM

"The most energized base won."

Yep, Hillary is currently leading by two million votes. Unfortunately many of the voters live in populous states and there votes have a fraction of the power of voters in places like Idaho and Wyoming due to the to the obsolete Electoral College.

daddy-o

11/25/16 12:31 AM

walter

11/25/16 7:16 AM

is the EC relevant

ive thought about this alot.

on the *logical* side, EC seems outdated...why should any citizen's vote count any more or less in a democracy. it doesnt seem right to me.

but the US is not a *direct* democracy, it's a representative democracy -- and thats in the constitution, so like it or not the US is and shall feature the EC unless we change the constitution. :-/

April

11/25/16 10:58 AM

I've been forced into thinking about this a bit more than I had been -- one of my current riding buddy is a judge and post questions on the foundation of the whole election philosophy.

I've always thought the electoral college system is an interesting one, in that it allows rural voters a bigger say than urban dwellers. Though I never really give much thought to WHY rural population NEED better representative than urban dwellers, it was nonetheless the original intent and it function well enough to that purpose.

But the counter argument is, the rural states had already been well-represented by the senate, where each state gets 2 seats regardless of population. So why should the presidential election need to be artificially constructed to favor rural population?

Still, that only dealt with the electoral college setup. It doesn't answer the winner-take-all setup of many states. That setup forces the presidential candidate to focus on issues that matters in a small number of key states rather than the nation as a whole. One hopes the issues facing those few states are the same as the nation faces. But that's not true at all times.

And for the 2nd time in less than 20 years, the same party benefited from that setup.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -