HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Post Election Trump
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/10/16 12:10 PM

"No, they're mad at voters at swing states who didn't vote for Hillary. Those voters are hiding under the rock in shame right now."

Well 3-4k folks here went nuts last night, and this ain't no swing state.

Saw Christie talking transition on a news cast this am. I got the worst feeling listening to him I am watching a fascist regime stepping in...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

PLee

11/10/16 1:39 PM

Don't be so pessimistic Sparky. A country run by the likes of Roger Ailes, Bob Manafort, Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani, Chris Christie . . . What could possibly go wrong??? (where's that sarcasm emoji when I need it?)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/10/16 2:32 PM

Thanks, I know. Thanks for the encouragement. ;O

But when I think about the backwards portions of the path that will happen now. Now I am praying trump is all in just to bust the system. What all he said campaigning was all lip service. He may not have meant a single word, just exercise in method that obvious was a viable strategy.

The 1994 rape case of the 13 year old is dropped BTW. Let's see what happens with the Trump_U fraud case.

At this point I'd rather Trump than Pence frankly.
In one way I am looking forward to his vengeance on the GOP that left him for dead.

With him instead of pay for play, it will also be play or else. I still think he is not actually republican beyond money/tax policy. Of course I fully expect the obvious bigotry in his craw of OB and the birther demeanor to undo anything OB did to scratch that itch on the birther failure.

The potential power monger with the military under his fingers also seems scary of course.

Yadaⁿ

Sparky

11/10/16 8:28 PM

Third night of anti Trump protests here in Portland, thousands of folks. Starting to have pro Trump folks show up and violence with the mix is kicking up...

Last edited by Sparky on 11/10/16 9:40 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

11/10/16 9:16 PM

Like it or not, Trump won the election. You and I may not like it. But others clearly see something in him, even if it's the "wrong" thing in your and my opinion. Not to mention plenty of people don't dislike him enough to vote the "other way" to make sure he doesn't win. Those two groups together should be allowed to see their own monster creation come to being.

Those folks protesting is not exactly the right thing either. Once perhaps just to make a point. Persistent protect with violent won't achieve anything.

Sparky

11/10/16 9:44 PM

I don't condone it personally. Seems just a waste of time tring to acomplish something that won't happen. Not that way for sure...

daddy-o

11/10/16 9:56 PM

IIRC DT was a registered democrat well into the 21st century, can you say "r-i-g-g-e-d?"

How long before our fellow citizens in Oklahoma stop being earthquake deniers and decide fracking is to blame? Not that I keep a spreadsheet or anything, but a 5.x magnitude quake makes the national news in San Andreas country and I don't recall one in OK before this last weekend.

So Oklahoma leads the charge to halt fracking. The U.S. needs to start importing again. Prices go up. Economy goes down.

But the curse of it for OK is the solid Earth heals on a geologic time scale.

April

11/10/16 10:43 PM

" solid Earth"?

what's that?

daddy-o

11/10/16 11:24 PM

So to speak.

April, do you think fracking is good for the crust?

Sparky

11/11/16 12:18 AM

I think she missed the reference. I had to look at the wording a few times, and I speak convolute. ;)

Protests turned to riotous here. Seems an anarchist group took advantage of the anonymity of such a huge group in the thousands...

April

11/11/16 6:31 AM

quote:
April, do you think fracking is good for the crust?

Daddy-o, to be able to answer that question, I would need to study the evidence carefully. Or at least study the available research papers carefully.

I don't have the bandwidth to do that right now. So the answer is I DO NOT KNOW.

(if I live where the fracking is taking place like you do, I would probably MAKE the bndwidth available)

Mind you, it's possible that I may not know the answer even after reading the papers. But I certainly won't come to any meaningful conclusion BEFORE doing so.

daddy-o

11/11/16 7:45 AM

It was a disjointed post, two subjects.

A pun between "rigged" and the rest of it was unintentional.

Perhaps I should edit: "Our fellow citizens of the U.S. who live in Oklahoma." OK is Okay, but I have no direct connection with the state.

As for fracking and seismic activity the USGS peer reviewed papers indicate just such a correlation of hydraulic fracking and earthquakes in frequency and location.

April

11/11/16 9:12 AM

I had worked a short project related to the oil industry way way back... (traditional oil, not fracking) I do recall some mentioning of small earthquake association. It was generally accepted as a direct cause of the injection of water (to "force more oil out" so to speak). So I wouldn't be too surprised if study shows fracking causes earthquake too.

But I don't recall any study on long term effect. My now very vague recollection is once the oil field becomes unprofitable and drilling stops, so does the earthquake. If so, that points to relatively little long term effect to the earth crust.

Back to the topic of Trump. I too remember him being a Democrat. Hence my thinking that he wouldn't implement half of what he claim he would do.

Doesn't make him any better qualified as a president. Just it would be a different one than what his supporters thought they've chosen!

dddd

11/11/16 9:58 AM

Around here, a dam site construction was halted ~40 years ago because of seismic fears. Good thing for us, would have put all of our precious trails system under water.

As for these protests, "anarchists" would be a loose term, but clearly these protestors have been around for quite a while and are fueled not entirely by anger with Trump or with Republicans, more the fear of loss of ordinary citizen's power/control, fascism in other words, to a significant degree I would say.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/11/16 11:29 AM

Governing and Anarchists

"Doesn't make him any better qualified as a president. Just it would be a different one than what his supporters thought they've chosen!"

When was the last time that this didn't happen? With the possible exception of Reagan, I can't recall one. As they say "It's one thing to campaign, but quite another thing to govern". Trump will learn that quickly and has already taken the first steps in that direction.

There are organized anarchist groups, which is what Sparky was referring to. They seem to be basically just a bunch of thugs that enjoy turning peaceful protests into riots. Disgusting!

The protesters will eventually shout themselves hoarse or pass out from beating their heads against a wall. If they find protesting cathartic, good for them, but as you said, it's utterly pointless.

I wonder what would have happened if Hillary had won? Perhaps I really don't want to know, as I'm sure it would have been at least as ugly.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/16 12:35 PM

"I'm sure it would have been at least as ugly."

My money is on probably, if not more so given how Trump pumped, so to speak.

The new POTUS taking baby steps, Just Fucking Great!

April

11/11/16 2:11 PM

quote:
When was the last time that this didn't happen?

I would argue it's the opposite.

Reagan was the only one SUCCESSFUL in implementing what he claim he would do. But most presidents went along the same direction as their claim.

Obama claim he's for change and he implemented ObamaCare. You may find what he implemented not to your liking but he nonetheless implemented. In fact, if you didn't vote for him, and you dislike what he implemented, chances are he did what he said he'd do which you never liked!

Bush cut taxes, deregulates and went to war in the Middle East. All of that we expected. Many of us didn't like it and didn't vote for him. But he did what he claim he was to do.

None of them implemented ALL of the things they claim. Either because they were stopped by the House/Senate, or circumstance changed to require a different priority.

Donald Trump's version of "Make America Great" has always been to allow the rich to get richer at the expense of the little guys. Yet his supporters are expecting him to work to make the average Joe American better off? At best, we'll have a trickle-down economy on steroids. We know how that went at the end. At worst, the little guys will get screwed royally before they even know it. Either way, his cronies and others like him will be fabulously "better off"!

And at the risk of sounding like I'm supporting Trump. But he had not shown much of ultra-conservative ideology in the past. So one wonders whether he'll do much in that direction.

Last edited by April on 11/11/16 10:36 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

11/11/16 5:52 PM

Christie already got demoted from heading the transition team. Was he ever on Apprentice ?

dan emery

11/11/16 6:19 PM

Lots of questions/contradictions

I also think Trump is not an ultra conservative at heart, though I don't know if he has any particular ideology. He's already backing off on repealing Obamacare. And in an unguarded monument he said we have to provide health care for everyone.

My particular interest (professional, not personal) is Social Security, and Trump has made statements about not cutting it while Ryan, et al make entitlements cuts a centerpiece. While the Social Security Administration under Obama has been awful, to be frank. So who knows how it will shake out. Though I would still much prefer Trump was not president.

But to make lemonade out of lemons (or in the preferable legal expression make chicken salad out of chickensh*t), I've been contemplating buying a bike, and perhaps to compensate for the election and make me feel good about myself, I'll decide to comply with the cyclist's mantra "Life is short, buy the damn bike."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/16 6:37 PM

Question: If California secedes, where are they going to get their water from?

When they pay $5:00 a gallon for water, will avocados go up to $11.00?

Jesus Saves

11/11/16 6:52 PM

no. Folks will just purchase them from Mexico assuming vendors can throw them high enough over the wall. ;-)

The only way CA cesedes is if the state plunges into the Pacific after a really massive earthquake.

Last edited by Jesus Saves on 11/11/16 7:15 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/16 7:03 PM

"I've been contemplating buying a bike, and perhaps to compensate for the election and make me feel good about myself, I'll decide to comply with the cyclist's mantra "Life is short, buy the damn bike."

Yeah! Although I am way over my quota.

I just pictured folks tossing avocados over a 30 foot wall 24/7. nAfta?

Sparky

11/14/16 5:50 PM

Stephen Bannon...

Not the sign of any kind of non retardation of direction IME.

MEH to the nth degree.

On that note, I came across my lost 'Sound Of Music' DVD I had lost. So I decided to distract myself from this Bannon news by watching it.

Totally not remembering the fascist Nazi content, which put me in that news/idea even deeper...

Sigh

dddd

11/15/16 9:50 AM

I suspect that the earthquake graph is possibly an example of what a normal earthquake cycle looks like, just that they only pop up like that every so often (maybe every two years or 10,000 years, depending on location and within what grand-scale time period).
So this could be an example of geological news events being used to propagandize...

Not that I am for fracking, I'm not. Fracking is a desperation move, which in the current context is desperation to make billions of dollars while they can, regulations allowing, and regulations being purchasable via lobbying and bribing.
Conservation of petro resources needs to be emphasized, even outside of concerns about global warming causation. There are lots of reasons to spare consumption of petro resources, not just one or two, yet policy-makers focus on disputed claims which can result in partisan political victories defining policy based on just one or two concerns out of many.

California seceding? Not without a civil war! Wouldn't be the first time that the war lobby got what they wanted...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/15/16 11:30 AM

"lots of reasons to spare consumption of petro resources, not just one or two, yet policy-makers focus on disputed claims which can result in partisan political victories defining policy"

=============
Trump campaign is seriously considering Forrest Lucas, the 74-year-old co-founder of oil products company Lucas Oil for Secretary of the Interior.
[Drill baby drill dum-ass also possible apparently.]

Continental Resources CEO Hamm, nutha oil man for Energy secretary.

We will all be wearing masks like... a few far east countries come to mind...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -