HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Post Election Trump
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/9/16 9:44 AM

He goes from she will be in jail if he wins to touting her 30 year of service in his acceptance speech.

I liked his vetrans portion of acceptance speech. If only it comes to making our supporting/services for them a lot better like it should be.

Woke up with headache hangover. #stunned.

Let see the OB Care manifestations of thoses campaign promisis..

And he was right about it being rigged I guess after all, #J_Comey

Last edited by Sparky on 11/9/16 9:50 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

11/9/16 9:46 AM

I have to say...

...that I'm less unhappy today than I would have been if Hillary had won. This was really a referendum on how horrible a candidate she was and she lost to the only person she could have - and should have - beaten. It's comforting that she has finally been discarded to the scrap heap of worthless politicians where she belongs. Hopefully the Clintons will crawl under a rock somewhere and stay there.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Trump's gracious and (somewhat) inspirational acceptance speech. I'm hopeful that now that the campaign is over, he'll get serious, cut out the insulting rhetoric and get down to actually governing like an adult (but I'm not holding my breath). Most of his more controversial proposals can't happen without congressional approval and even with Republican majorities in both houses, he's not going to be able to ram them through. There are too many "cooler heads" among Republicans and the Democrats will of course vote as a block against anything particularly heinous.

I'm looking forward to seeing who he nominates to the Supreme Court. Hopefully, we won't go down the "nuclear option" path to get someone confirmed, but considering that the Democrats were openly planning to do so if they took control of the Senate, it may well go that way. They shot themselves in the foot by even bringing it up.

We'll see. It will definitely be interesting, hopefully not in a "train wreck" type of way.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/9/16 10:02 AM

Move to Canada? Best to wait until after the winter thaw. By then you might have a change of heart.

Surely the riding in Australia is awesome now, but instead of Trump, you'll still find plenty of misogy-Peter Slippers, anti-trade, build-the-wall types - like you never left home.

Surrounds himself with bright people..true. I'm thankful Obama did such with his Fed Chairman selection and Treasury secretary, in his 1st term, whereby IMO, quite possibly saved us and the world from the next great depression.

240+ years of peaceful transitions is what makes America Great (or Great because we are Good, if you prefer). It really is a remarkable thing.

Reply to topic    

April

11/9/16 10:14 AM

quote:
he'll get serious, cut out the insulting rhetoric and get down to actually governing like an adult (but I'm not holding my breath).

I'm glad you're not holding your breath.

Because the insulting rhetoric has been going on all his life. It is him.

More over, we should all look forward to across the board more insulting and uncivil behavior in our society BECAUSE IT WORKED!

Sparky

11/9/16 10:19 AM

"240+ years of peaceful transitions is what makes America Great (or Great because we are Good, if you prefer). It really is a remarkable thing."

The flip side if this coin I was not looking forward to. Moot now of course.

Now my mind is wandering to President Trump's rape / 13 year old and Trump-U court cases and Pence's rise to power. ;)

Tom Price

11/9/16 10:28 AM

As a retired Chevrolet salesperson this post caught my attention last night.

If you walked into a car dealership and the salesman had a dead fox like wig on, over the top spray tan, a history of screwing customers, and tried selling you on a Honda with phrases like "It's the best!" "It's gonna be really really great, everyone is saying it", "Believe me"...then proceeded to give you ZERO actual details about why you should buy the car...you'd grab your wife and run for it while saying "What a scumbag". Well that's exactly what this guy has done yet half the country doesn't want to see the inside of the car and they're signing the paperwork.

I hope we like "our new mystery car".

April

11/9/16 11:37 AM

quote:
I hope we like "our new mystery car".

Or that new run-flat bicycle tire!

Sparky

11/9/16 12:14 PM

The car sales guy reference spiked a memory for me. After listening to a guy spew for way to long a time window that his given name was Fabulous Sam Something_or_Other.

I just got out of the chair and walked away and out the door. This zero sum approach obviously works more often than not.

OK, question. Does the obvious smart path Trump took to the goal equate to an ability that will be a good ingredient for the office? [he asks folded palms looking up]

April

11/9/16 12:23 PM

"smart path"?

Last edited by April on 11/9/16 12:39 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

11/9/16 12:32 PM

Goal accomplished [it worked after all] for amount of resources VS amount on the other party. What a lot of folks thought him orchestrating as deal breakers he either knew or did not care one way or the other.

When he said he could shoot some one in Time Square, not only did he get away with saying it, I wondered if he could get away with doing it thus being right ultimately. Does he know how to play folks better than I have given him credit for?

I also wonder if Ryan isn't going to go the way of the last House Speaker a whole lot sooner now. He is on the Donald's list after all, GOP or not.

Brian Nystrom

11/9/16 1:10 PM

He didn't win because he's smart...

...he won in spite of the fact that he did and said a lot of really stupid things that would have sunk any other candidate.

He won because he knows how to push peoples' buttons and get them fired up. The "rigged system" talk was just a ploy to get his supporters out to vote. The constant vilification of Clinton and the frequent insinuations about what she might do in office made it easier for people to vote against her or not vote at all. Either way, it was to his benefit.

He won because he was running against an opponent who is regarded almost as unfavorably as he is. In many circles, she is absolutely hated and has been since her husband's administration. That level of emotion drives people to the polls.

He won because the Democratic party conspired against an arguably better candidate in Bernie Sanders and that turned many of his supporters against the party. Thank you DNC and WikiLeaks (I never thought I'd ever say THAT!). Big backfire.

He won because the Democratic party has become the party of liberal professionals and elites, and has basically abandoned the working class. They just assumed - incorrectly - that they would follow like sheep, as they have in the past. Nope.

They made the same assumption about minority voters and while they were essentially correct, by ignoring them, they suppressed their own turnout. Arrogant and stupid.

Trump won for a variety of reasons, but few had anything to do with him "having a good brain".

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/9/16 1:30 PM

Smart by process of elimination? At 70 you have a billion times behind you that did not work after all. :-)

dan emery

11/9/16 1:51 PM

Well

At least I didn't sell everything last night when market futures were down 4%....The market is now up over 1% in case anyone thinks the Wall Street traders know what they're doing.

Hard to parse exactly why this happened. I tend to think it's more general frustration than problems with Hillary or virtues (perceived ) of Trump. Though I admit I was as surprised an anyone else.

Like Greg I hope there are some institutional forces of moderation (I also think Trump didn't really believe some of his extreme positions). Good thing I had some challenging work this morning to take my mind off things.

Reply to topic    

dddd

11/9/16 3:09 PM

I also though that I might be doing heavy trading today, but none so far.

On today's bike ride, consensus seems to be as Brian stated, that the Donald, with scant support from his own party or the media, and with far less money to spend, beat Hillary due to the public being fed up with her, a bit like when GHWB (Bush #1) got beaten by Bill.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/9/16 3:30 PM

"due to the public being fed up with her, a bit like when GHWB (Bush #1) got beaten by Bill"

What was Newt after when he painted Daddy Bush into a corner on reversing the 'read my lips' promise?? Or do I recollect that wrongly?

April

11/9/16 3:50 PM

"He won because he knows how to push peoples' buttons and get them fired up."

If that's not smart, what is?

As a businessman, if one can push people's button to get a predictable reaction. One has a big advantage in any business dealing.

"I also think Trump didn't really believe some of his extreme positions"

That's what I always thought. I hope I'm not wrong on that.

As I said earlier, his winning the presidency (unlikely at the time) could very well be the anticlimax.

The damage he's done DURING his candidacy may turn out to be far more than what he may do as a president.

I had always thought the current political system has badly broken for too long, and would some day end rather badly. Of course I couldn't predict that day being today.

Sparky

11/9/16 4:31 PM

"I hope I'm not wrong on that."

I pray you are not. ;)

He sure seemed like a switch got flipped on the acceptance speech. As far a believing or not what spewage it tool to get there/here.

But let's not too quickly forget the foreign policy posturing exhibited either...

Brian Nystrom

11/9/16 4:34 PM

For Trump...

...pushing people's buttons is second nature, as it's what he does on his TV show and probably in his regular life. I doubt that it even takes much thought on his part, he just does it on instinct.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/9/16 4:55 PM

"he just does it on instinct."

The art of tossing the other guy off his game.

I meant to ask, anyone else have it rain frogs at your house last night??

Jesus Saves

11/9/16 7:56 PM

Trump is smart, like really smart. Seriously . He is a protoge of Roy Colms - master NYC mudracking/self marketing attorney. To peel back his public veneer, look at his children . As Red Foxx would say, they are no dummies. Trump is smart like a sly fox.

Trump did not have the full backing of support from his party, in addition to spending much less and having much less foot soldiers. He ran a smart campaign capitalizing the rust belt much like Reagan and getting closet democrats to vote for him

His campaign is one for the ages . It will be studied for years to come.

Despite two popular presidents supporting her, plus endless celebrities in a big Philly PA rally, Clinton had an underwhelming turnout in that predominantly democratic city. Obama garnished more votes there in past elections

detest all you want about Trump....
The Democrats took a @ss whooping in this election for the senate and house races.
It did not help that ACA health care premiums got jacked before the election .

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

11/9/16 9:56 PM

Easy buttons to push

While I tend to avoid political discussion on this board, I have to jump in now. While I absolutely detest our Prime Minister, Bibi has used the same system to get himself elected and reelected for more time than I can remember. You don`t have to be a genius to be a demagogue, just a low life scum bag. Unfortunately, lies, hatred, fear, and bigotry will carry you a long way in this day and age. They are 2 sides to the same coin and an embarrassment to their respective countries.

Sparky

11/9/16 10:14 PM

Lake of scruples in itself does not mean the person deploying the methodology is stupid. It is a clever methodology which works unfortunately. It is the same shock jock crap the likes of Stern, Beck, Rush Limb.., etc etc etc etc employ with total success.

Huge Anti Trump/Election protests all over Portland tonight. Like clogging up the main I-84 and I-5 corridor on foot. Like a few thousand folks... Signs, 'not my President', burning dolls of his likeness etc.

Other cities too apparently.

April

11/10/16 7:24 AM

Clinton's concession speech was so disingenuous.

"A chance to lead"? Lead to where? (not to mention led by the nose)

What she should have said is "Good luck to all your Trump supporters. You'll need it."

(Your children will need it even more)

Is she still hoping for any "favor" as the loser of presidential candidate? How many of the losers had much of a "after life" after their lost the election?

After Trump's success of "speaking the ugly truth", I'm shocked anyone still continue playing "politics as usual"!

Brian Nystrom

11/10/16 10:54 AM

Funny...

...I actually thought that Hillary was being genuine for once. If nothing else, she was uncharacteristically gracious.

Her political career is basically dead and her presidential ambitions are well and truly over, thankfully. Nixon was the last person who was nominated again after losing a presidential election. I don't see that as being likely to happen again for anyone, let alone Hillary.

Contrary to what some pundits are saying, I don't see this as a major blow to the chances of a woman in the White House; the right candidate could have won easily. I see this as more of a "Bob Dole" moment, where the wrong candidate was selected because the party felt that they were somehow entitled to the nomination.

As for the protests, they'll die down after a while. I suspect that most of the protesters either cast "protest votes" for other candidates or didn't vote at all, and they're actually mad at themselves for being one of the reasons for Hillary's defeat. Of course, they'll direct that anger at Trump.

The remaining question is whether Trump's legal issues will keep him from taking office or when they will get him impeached. I also wouldn't be surprised if some wingnut or foreign government (Iran) tries to take him out at some point. The Secret Service has their hands full with Trump, as they do with Obama.

Reply to topic    

April

11/10/16 11:05 AM

quote:
I suspect that most of the protesters either cast "protest votes" for other candidates or didn't vote at all, and they're actually mad at themselves for being one of the reasons for Hillary's defeat.

That's a very strange way of thinking, considering many of the protest happen in states that Hillary won!

No, they're mad at voters at swing states who didn't vote for Hillary. Those voters are hiding under the rock in shame right now.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -