Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Just had to...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/7/16 5:31 PM

Just had to...

If you hit the online Trek outlet store, you can find this 2015 Madone Series 4 clearance frameset for a hard to pass price. So hard I did not pass it. $549.00 pickup only.. And no tax here in OR and is lifetime trek warranty as well.

Includes the headset parts but not BB90 bearings.

400-series OCLV carbon frameset, BB90 bottom bracket, tapered E2 head tube,Trek's DuoTrap, and KVF Airfoil frame design. Internal cable routing for shifter doubles for Di2, rear brake is rivet on stops as is the front DR braze on. They sneaked in some fender mounts too. 400 Series is AL steerer FWIW. Fork should be right at a lb cut for my length/size head tube.

And it fits 28mm tires too. The bars are not nearly as low as it appears in the pic. I had to slam the stem with the H2 Geom.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

6/7/16 7:03 PM

Looks like my size. ...

Sparky

6/7/16 8:04 PM

I'd say that it is your size, as are most [all] of my sleds. If we lived closer I bet we would play swap a lot. ;)

I stuck a singulator chain tensionor and a front brake on and rolled around in the subdivision for a bit. The BB is a rock! With 25mm GP4Ks @ 90 lb with latex tubes is pretty vibration dampening/absorbing. But quite racey feeling.

Not nuts about the front end, I do not get the sense it can turn around an ant like the Scott and 754 machine can. I wondered when I looked at the specs, 73.9 HTA with 57mm trail [4.0 rake]

It is a rigid SOB as far as I could tell on the limited stroll. Need to order some derailleurs or start stealing parts off my Six13. ;)

Not sure if I will leave on the carbon bars. I have always found them overly stiff and not helpful for comfort generally. Although I have only used Easton ever, EC90 variants. I do like the non ergo drops personally.

Sparky

6/8/16 12:12 AM

Deleted

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/8/16 4:18 AM

I need a medium, send it. LOL

Sparky

6/8/16 9:50 AM

I really wanted the Trek Domane Race Shop Limited Koppenberg Edition Frameset. At least this is the same color, and cost $2950.00 less as well...

I believe these clearance Madone Series 4 frames are Project one units.

sandiway

6/8/16 10:58 AM

What's the URL? I'm not seeing these bargains...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/16 1:40 PM

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-madone-4-series-frameset-13055.htm

And the Entire Madone SE wiht 6800 and crap wheels. With Bontrtager Stem/post/fittings.

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-madone-4-series-se-ultegra-13298.htm

I did not even use the Bontrager stem spacers. That emblem just ain't right. Nor is the expensive X-Rac4-Lite wheel relegated to my trainer with cracks in the rim bed.

Sparky

6/8/16 1:52 PM

All done, going out in a few minutes and will report back later...

16 lbs without pedals, so add 197 grams for my Ti Keywin when I put them on. Just stuck on some SPDR that where loose for the test ride.

The internal cable routing blows the Specialized setup on the SL4 for form, function, and ease of setup big time!

henoch

6/8/16 1:54 PM

Looks like they are out of my size and Sandi's size...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/16 6:03 PM

Well, this is a nice little go fast bike. I have to say it returns what you put in happily. I am impressed even at the retail 1299.00 price point for the frameset frankly.

Wondering if the carbon bars and the 1-1/2" lower tapered fork are cumulatively heading into harsh on sharp bumps. Chipseal gets eaten up pretty well, not Bianchi Infinito CV well, but pretty good.

I may try a 25mm front and 28mm GP4K rear. I think I will have to find a different caliper set to fit the 28 GP4K
on the rear, but the frame should allow.

Like!

Sparky

6/8/16 6:39 PM

"Looks like they are out of my size and Sandi's size"

Bike gallery round here is showing stock on Red 52CM in two stores FWIW.

sandiway

6/8/16 6:51 PM

Pickup only means at any store or has to be at the store the frameset/bike is stored at?

Reply to topic    

sandiway

6/8/16 7:03 PM

A complete Shimano 6800 11 speed gruppo goes for $600-700. $549 frameset. Plus wheels, bars, seatpost and seat. The complete bike is $1799. Hmm...

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/8/16 8:50 PM

Any 54?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/16 9:04 PM

no 54s at the local bike gallery locations here.

"Pickup only means at any store or has to be at the store the frameset/bike is stored at?"

In my case, they sent my 60CM to a store 30 miles closer to me to pick it up there. No positive about the trek outlet VS the bike gallery chain that is only here in the Portland, OR area.

I am perfectly willing to grab one here and ship it out to a member here. You pay shipping, and you'd have to PayPal me the coin. No sure how the registration would go, but I could give your name when I pick it up I guess.
Oh, and enough extra coin pay paled for my Sushi lunch of course. ;)

Unless they have a limit per or something...

Final price is $549.00

Sparky

6/8/16 10:52 PM

Tire size; I tried a 28mm GP4K on the Pacenti SL23 Rim.

It is so close to fitting, but just touches the brake bridge and caliper on the rear. I mean I can spin the tire with it just barely touching. But that is one big 28mm tire. On my 25mm wide SL25 Disc Pacenti wheel it is 32mm x 29mm high. The SL23 is 23mm wide, and the tire is just taller enough as to touch. Plenty clearance on the sides in the stays though.

I think the 28mm GP4K would make it if I got greedy rim width wise. But I am done building wheels for a while with several sets built last year.

sandiway

6/9/16 1:18 AM

The stores are in CA and Albuquerque NM. Mine only shows:

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

6/9/16 7:54 AM

quote:
Tire size; I tried a 28mm GP4K on the Pacenti SL23 Rim.

It is so close to fitting, but just touches the brake bridge and caliper on the rear. I mean I can spin the tire with it just barely touching. But that is one big 28mm tire. On my 25mm wide SL25 Disc Pacenti wheel it is 32mm x 29mm high. The SL23 is 23mm wide, and the tire is just taller enough as to touch. Plenty clearance on the sides in the stays though.

The rear brake bridge looks kind of inelegant in the photos, just sort of a flat piece stuck across the stays, but I've never owned a CF bike, and that may just be the way you do CF.

In any event, I think that's what's keeping a 28 from fitting...if it were an old-fashioned steel tubular or angled bridge, you'd have loads of clearance for a 28.

dddd

6/9/16 9:35 AM

Great build with those handbuilt wheels. Do you really need 28's on those wide rims?

With my 56cm ORCA on the block (it's too twitchy with the fit setup I needed, my knees strike the toptube when I attack hills or sprint), I had to scope out the geo of this Trek, and the 58cm would be a perfect fit with the stem slammed on top of maybe a 5mm spacer resting on the 19cm headtube.
But I also re-checked my 58cm Scott CR1 geo numbers, and it's close enough to this Trek that I'll be better off working on shaving off a pound of weight from that one, versus an all-new build. I'll start with the wheels and Gatorskin (LOL) tires it came with, a pound and a half can come off if I also just change the saddle!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/9/16 10:00 AM

"Do you really need 28's on those wide rims"

Just getting greedy on cush I guess. But that 28 in the rear @ 90 lb is nice and still fast.

The 25mm GP4 is a really a 28 on those rims anyway. I am going to try a 25 on the front though. I have a 23mm GP4Ks on 3 wheelsets with 25mm rears. But that 1-1/2" tapered fork makes for a beefy feeling front end.

I can say I like the feel of the bike better than the SL4 disc machine. And I had 27mm 320TPI Paves on than to attempt to get some nice ride feel out of it. I still want to throw a leg over a non disc SL4, especially a higher than 8R level carbon. I think carbon levels like the HMX Scott and Infinito CV have a liveliness the lower levels just do not have. And I got myself spoiled from that LTD Scott.

My mistake was test riding the Infinito CV. Nothing has as nice a feel as that did. Well my steel bikes of course.

Dave, what about the Orbea do you think makes for the knee banging syndrome?
And is that the Scott offering for more long endurance race GEOM?

______
FWIW, my stated comments/concerns regarding the front end geo/trail etc., seem unfounded on my inaugural quick 25 miler. But I still want to see/feel it in close quarters/paceline riding.

dddd

6/9/16 5:20 PM

I suspect that the 125mm stem just doesn't jibe with the Orbea's geometry, even though the angles are on the steep side. It moves around less with a 115mm stem but then I feel all hunched over when I move forward for any burst of acceleration.

The Scott's geo is 73 HT and 73.3 ST, and fitted with the 110mm neck it is quick but neutral, and on the comfortable side at the front of the bike compared to most other carbon rigs I've ridden.
I look forward to tomorrow's "Fast Fridays" ride with better tires, gonna put those on today with my swapmeet-sourced Cosmic Carbones and test them out!
I was given a Ti WTB Rocket saddle that I just installed to shave 140g from the previous WTB Speed Sport model, so this bike's 18lb weight is a thing of the past as of today.

Reply to topic    

dddd

6/9/16 7:55 PM

Ok, the weight-loss tally totaled 520g, not quite the 1.5lb that I hoped for. But the tires are still fairly durable and the rims more aero now.

I saw 290g lost to the wheels/tires, 30g to the Zipp QR's, 50g to the Ultegra carbon pedals, 140g to the ti saddle and another 10g to the alloy cassette lockring.

Total is now 17.51lb (1lb heavier than the smaller Orbea), with pedals and with GP4000's 23mm that measure 23.5mm on the narrow 19.Xmm rims.

Now to dial in the saddle and sell off the Orbea!

Last edited by dddd on 6/9/16 8:21 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/9/16 8:15 PM

Looks faster already. ;)

My XL Addict LTD was 13.8 lb with Reynolds tubulars when I first built it. Still the lightest bike I have ridden to date. Ad went on Craigslist now that I have the Madone KVF.

The Addict with 1750 gram 38mm AL wheels/11-28 cassette, pedals, bottle holders, pump, seat bag with tire irons, patch kit, and two tubes, flight deck on, and double tap with silicon pads.

17.4 lbs.

You barely have to be careful what you bolt on it.

dddd

6/9/16 11:38 PM

13.8 with pedals takes some effort to achieve. My frame alone must weigh a half-pound more, the softer, lower-level carbon might also explain the compliant front end? This in an age of now-tapered steerers, my straight carbon steerer surely flexes more.

I don't use a seat bag, my 39g pump with a 65g tube rubber-banded to it goes in my pocket, also with a tire lever, a 5mm hex key and a glueless Park patch kit.
As rides get longer, I'll also carry a second tube and a super-light chain tool with spoke keys and 4-5-6mm Allen T-handle built in.

I'm glad to see that you built your new Trek with a proper derailer drivetrain, I couldn't stand to see that frame wearing a geared hub!
And your approach to fit is more like my own than I am used to seeing. The tri-racers in our club can spot my fit preferences and have often mentioned it.
I'll wear my wrist-garmin tomorrow and see if I can hit fifty for the first time in a while on my way to the ride.

Last edited by dddd on 6/10/16 1:22 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -