HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

IPS Vision freewheeling crankset [tandem]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/2/17 1:08 PM

IPS Vision freewheeling crankset [tandem]

Don't want to spend big for a stoker freewheeling nor new tandem. Like the IBIS fine for the low use amount it gets.

But wifey-poo would probably appreciate not getting sent into orbit by my cadence. Not to mention I almost never stop pedaling, just alter watts/power.

The IPS Vision freewheeling cranks are still available and use same square BB.

Trying to get a grip on how it would install and function. So I am hoping some old wrench here has had or installed one.

Seems it move the timing chain to the drive side somehow. Still searching for PDF and pictures.

Anyone? Thanks...

Wonder if just putting a smaller capt chainring on the timing chain making me spin faster would do it enough to help her. Going to have phasing issues either way I figure.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

3/2/17 7:12 PM

I think you will find the big problem with allowing the stoker to freewheel independently is that the phase difference between the front and rear cranks will alter each time the freewheel is used, and depending on how the two pairs of cranks are aligned when you resume pedalling, it can feel really odd and uncomfortable.

My wife and I have been riding tandems for almost 40 years, and we've had our timing chain un-ship a couple of times over the years (usually from not adjusting the eccentric as the chain wears over time). If I absent-mindedly put the chain back on without ensuring that the cranks are correctly phased, we have to immediately stop and un-ship the chain again to get the phase correct.

Reply to topic    

Anthony Smith

3/3/17 7:31 AM

positron shifting

I remember working on the early indexing Shimano "positron" shifting systems which used a front freewheel. Some of those might still be around...

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/3/17 10:22 AM

Positron radiation

Those Shimano front-freewheel systems were beyond evil. I would NEVER consider putting them on a bike that I actually planned to ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/3/17 1:57 PM

I saw some VIDs of the Vision crankset and the wobbly play as a result of the freewheel in it. Check please.

I think we are going to sell the tandem and wait until one comes along setup like Sandiways pops up used and we can justify the coin. Also we will wait until we see what the longevity of Elaine hip injections therapy windows winds up helping.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -