CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Long time TTF member 'Give Forward' funding for transplant!
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/4/16 3:05 PM

So health set back for me!!

I caught strep, the sickest I have been my entire adult life. I think I caught it in the Labcorp where I got the BP cuff. That place was a cesspool but I just blew it off.

Starting going south last weekend, went to work Monday. Left to go to urgent care at my doc (I have not been to a doc sick in 40 years). Got a antibiotic shot and huge doses of amoxicillin for 7 days. The amoxi did not touch this bug! I was back at the doc on Friday, got an IV antibiotic and a new oral med that seems to be working. My tonsils look like hamburger, I still am weak as a baby but finally I am fever free. The sad thing, strep can mess up our kidneys. I may have to have some retests at MUSC to see if I heal completely.

A week straight of being ill and out of work. Oh my....

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS

9/8/16 1:23 PM

FML

Not strep, to easy.

Fucking MONO, like a teenager gets. Still sick. blech

Sparky

9/8/16 4:49 PM

Have you discussed how mono is going to delay the time line? Dr. Mrs Sparky is indicating 180
days.

ErikS

9/8/16 6:37 PM

I informed my case nurse. She will take it to the docs tomorrow but acknowledged it would delay things for sure. I hope not 180 days but better safe than sorry. I am so disappointed. I caught this shit at MUSC, the incubation timing is spot on.

The spleen issues that come with mono are a major concern of course. I have not presented liver issue yet, thank goodness. (my spleen is mildly tinder and that was a huge indication that I had mono, even before the EBV+).

My trip to the doc went like this.

(Me) Doc, I think it is mono, here are my symptoms.

(Doc) Nah, Erik you are 50, you had that crap 35 years ago. Really, you have xxxx and yyyyy, zzzz etc? The antibiotics did not help at all?

(Me) Yeah, doc I do and the antibiotics were useless.

(Doc) Okay, lets look and pull a stat lab.

Hmmm. Damn. Hmmm. Yeah, your spleen. Oh your aorta thumps. (just had a adominal 3d CT done the fist week of August which is clean). Had to explain the skinny and 30 years of endurance exercise. He looked at the MUSC CT and was satisfied. (I gave him all of their work ups)

10 mins later after they pull the blood. Doc comes in with results.

(Doc) I have never seen a 50yo adult present with mono, you are a first for me. You were right, you have mono. Here are some expensive drugs. (insurance covered it)

Got antivirals and candy (prednisone) Prednisone already knocked back the gland and tonsil swelling.

Sparky

9/8/16 6:42 PM

Fooking gigantic exasperating sigh!!!

ErikS

9/8/16 7:40 PM

Sigh, Hell...

I am crying in private about it. This fucking disease may just kill my daughter and she did not even catch it.

Sparky

9/8/16 8:17 PM

Well, I hope you get better before she needs dialysis. I understand your feelings, but there are a lot of steps I pray before her life is at serious risk.

We are still praying over here for you all over there!!

ErikS

9/18/16 6:41 PM

Getting over the Mono

I am feeling much better, I still find my stamina stinks. I was outside today at a shooting range and just got beat down.

My doc wants to run a CBC at 6 weeks and see how my blood work comes up and he will contact MUSC, they seem to think shorter than 180 days because I was already in great shape and I am bouncing back quickly.

My doc would not clear me to do a 3 gun shooting competition on 8 Oct because it involves running and dragging 150lb rescue training dummies between shooting stations and rolling around to shoot under cars and barriers. He does not want me to blow up my spleen.

He did say I could start running a little bit next week but to take it very easy.

d_swiger

9/18/16 10:33 PM

Very glad to hear you're on the mend

But don't push it too much. You are 50. Bouncing back is not a term I would use at 66. Even when healthy, recovery is slow.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/29/16 5:03 PM

Yay!!! I am back to being able to RUN!!!! Slow as a turtle but running none the less. YAY!!!
I can say that my resting HR still is about 8-10 beats higher than pre-mono. I hope it comes back down. I am sure it is a combination of the illness and the lack of exercise for a month.
27:50 5k today, I normally run about a sub 25

d_swiger

10/3/16 8:27 PM

How is your prognosis for the transplant now?

Do you need to meet some med-metrics?

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/6/16 3:14 AM

MUSC does not seem to think it will do anything more than delay things a bit. I will have some blood work done next week to see how I am recovering. My doc is still being conservative about my exercise and workouts.

On a side note, a coworker and I were talking about my spleen issues, the next day his blew at the desk!!! I have not talked to him about the cause yet. Of course, they removed his as expected and he is not back at work yet.

Now, we are looking at this hurricane. Kinda, busy with that.

d_swiger

10/6/16 8:26 PM

How do you blow out your spleen sitting at a desk?

I guess a prior injury can pre-date a rupture.
Is your's just a bit compromised from the mono?

My SIL is in Del Rey Beach & they are in full hunker down mode

Reply to topic    

ErikS

10/7/16 4:08 PM

I have not talked to Jeremy yet to learn more about what happened to him. I know he had a combat related injury a few years ago but don't know if it contributed to his spleen.

Yes, mono compromises the spleen and cause it to enlarge below the ribcage making it at risk of injury. Mine is taking its sweet time getting back to normal and can still feel a bit of fullness in my upper belly. Some people can take MONTHS to fully recover back to completely normal.

My son is hunkering with family in Charleston. He was coming here but decided to stay with his aunt and uncle so he can get back to work as soon as the restaurant can open.

ErikS

11/1/16 4:13 PM

Update.

Got the call today. Can go under the knife at any time. My labs done last thursday cleared me for the knife.

We are trying to wait until 1Jan17 because my daughter's family insurance gets a huge boost then. Her husband signed up for a new plan last week that include a ton of coverage for transplants to include some help with lost wages and post op meds.

I hope she does okay until then. It will ease the mental and financial burden a great deal.

BTW, your money is still stashed other than the funds I mentioned a few months ago. We really don't like to touch it unless we have too.

Thank you all. I am sorry I am not around here much these days. Life is a bit full. I also have a very close nephew who has just had a HUGE emergency surgery for a perforated bowel stemming from diverticulitis. It is very touch and go today. My mother, is 75 and is dealing with Afib... The list goes on, I think I will go for run....

d_swiger

11/2/16 12:30 AM

Good to hear the update

Life can be full in this season.
Take care. We are praying for you & yours

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/7/16 7:25 PM

Update

Per Erik's Request:

ErikS

11/7/16 7:39 PM

Thanks a TON Sparky and to each and every one of you.

CTTF code does not play well with Picasa.

BTW, I miss my bike. Next spring it will be my friend again.

Sparky

11/7/16 8:02 PM

"BTW, I miss my bike. Next spring it will be my friend again."

I will turn some pedals in your honor tomorrow my friend, it will be mid 60^ temps.

ErikS

11/19/16 6:16 PM

As I promised.

Today I paid $542.91 in medical bills. MUSC knocked my visit down to 10% of the cost after the insurance covered their part! MUSC is so fair and the billing is very clear. I wish all medical providers were as organized.

We are on deck, 2nd week of January is firm now! I will take selfies of my stitches to post here. LOL

Last edited by ErikS on 11/19/16 7:07 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

11/19/16 6:18 PM

"I will take selfies of my stitches to post here. LOL"

Staples? ;)

ErikS

11/19/16 7:07 PM

lap, three small slices. Most likely they will be stitched on the inside and out. The doc asked and stated he will most often stitch to minimize the scar. I said scars are like tattoos with better stories and did not care.

ErikS

11/29/16 4:08 PM

And away we go!!!

The date is set and countdown has started.

My daughter and I go under the knife on 11Jan17.

Ironic kinda, her birthday is on 11Jul so her new second birthday will be on an 11th also.

d_swiger

11/29/16 11:55 PM

Great news Erik
I will be praying for you guys
Have a great Christmas

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/30/16 12:21 AM

Great news!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -