Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Ti Carver report
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

10/26/15 2:38 PM

Ti Carver report

I'm quite happy with the Carver Ti I ordered. I've now had 7 ti bikes so I have some bike memories to compare it with.

I recently took delivery of a Carver custom ti gravel/cross/utility frame, Working with Davis Carver was an excellent experience, and the bike is great. All details were correct, the specs are right on, and the bike rides great.

I could not be happier, and would certainly buy one again.

7 weeks from order to delivery.
__

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/26/15 4:18 PM

Pics ? If you need a place for them to be hosted I can host and post for you if you so desire.

dan emery

10/26/15 4:57 PM

Cool

A cool bike from the coast of Maine! I know nothing but good of Carver/Bikeman/Bath Cycle and Ski. Enjoy!

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/26/15 5:16 PM

I have been enjoying looking at Firefly bikes. The welds are nuclear quality on them. Amazing work. From Boston of course.
http://fireflybicycles.com

dddd

10/27/15 11:10 AM

Looking forward to seeing a new Carver, and glad to hear the bike was designed well.

Speaking of ti, Litespeed did some of their best work in producing the Merckx EX frameset, developing a tapered seat tube along with other tweaks and Merckx geometry and stiffness spec's of course.

I found one listed on Craigslist last week, far out of town and with poor photos. So it would be a half-day adventure for anyone to simply inspect it, thus it remained listed for weeks before I had my friend negotiate a price for me.

Turned out the seller was an ex MC dirt track racer from the 60's and an Ironman finisher in Hawaii, took $500 for the complete D-A bike with an extra set of wheels.

I got my fit parameters nailed using a 110 stem and different saddle that could be slid forward, and finally got around to ditching the corn-cob cassette after yesterday's 30 mile test ride.
Though not as stable-handling as the very old bikes that I normally prefer to ride, I did find the bike to climb quickly and solidly.

Here's pic's (20.1lbs as shown):

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/27/15 11:29 AM

On that EX, Let me know how yo feel about descending on rough stuff, especially where some brakes might be needed. I found my EX had some strange handling properties to a degree, but especially descending as mentioned above.

I even had Carl Strong make me a Steel ELOS fork thinking the 1" carbon steerer Look it came with was the culprit, but it was not I found.

dfcas

10/28/15 8:12 PM

heres a photo.[img][URL=http://s60.photobucket.com/user/dfcas/media/P1010610.jpg.html] [/URL]

The only interesting component is the crank. its a compact plus, a 30/46 combo. So far I really like it.[/img]

dfcas

10/28/15 8:14 PM

I've always heard the the Merckx AX had handling issues/speed wobble problems, but I thought the EX did not.

Nick Payne

10/28/15 11:39 PM

My most recent Ti purchase was a Lynskey Sportive frame on closeout from Chain Reaction in the UK. I fitted what you might call a compact plus plus: 38/27 chainrings w/ an 11-32 cassette. That gearing works rather well: 38-11 is good for a shade over 50kph, but I can climb quite substantial hills without needing the small chainring. The only time I've needed the 27-32 was on our recent trip to Lorne for Amy's Grand Fondo, where the accommodation we'd booked turned out to be at the top of a climb that hit 22% on its steepest pitch.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/29/15 6:18 AM

A Carver I'd like

The Gnarvester!

http://carverbikes.com/bikes/titanium-gnarvester/

I haven't done that type of riding in years, but how can you not want this bike?

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/29/15 4:02 PM

The Carver looks ready for some serious testing. Glad to see not everyone is jumping on the disc-brake bandwagon. I guess your tires are big enough to do a little off-roading?

"On that EX, Let me know how yo feel about descending on rough stuff, especially where some brakes might be needed. I found my EX had some strange handling properties to a degree, but especially descending as mentioned above.

I even had Carl Strong make me a Steel ELOS fork thinking the 1" carbon steerer Look it came with was the culprit, but it was not I found."

I rode the steepest and roughest roads in my area yesterday, didn't push too hard but did try using only the front or rear brake for different descents.
I did the steepest climb in a too-big gear, but detected no flex at all. The EX does have a bigger, tapered seat tube.
Maybe it's the EMS fork, but I couldn't detect anything at all unusual about the steering in descent mode. But I'm 140lbs and so likely the frame is more than stiff enough for me. I was pleased to find that it did have some appreciable absorbance to the ride feel even with 23mm tires @95psi on very rough pavement.

Luckily I rode the old Sears bike today! A leading rider very foolishly decided to slam his brakes for a squirrel, which had me half-wheeling him to a full stop as I got heavily rear-ended by one of the following riders, who all ended up laying in the street. My rear wheel was taco'd by a rider's foot/pedal that sharply bent four consecutive spokes.
I disconnected the caliper and heaved on the removed wheel to make it rideable for the trip home. No serious injuries and everyone remounted and rode back.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/29/15 4:32 PM

I had the Carver built AC_DC. It can use disc or canti brakes, and the fork goes both ways too. I have a set of disc brakes for it, but I like the canti's just fine.

I'm riding a 28mm tire now, but the frame and fork will accept up to a 42,maybe more.

I have a bunch of cross tires in the garage, but I won't put them on until the weather gets worse. I have a 35 knobby, and the smaller Big Apples, but I doubt if they fit.

dan emery

10/29/15 5:04 PM

Gears

I also have a 46/30 on my Crosshairs, along with 12-32 and I love that setup for severe climbing like D2R2.

The Carver looks great.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

10/29/15 7:49 PM

quote:
Speaking of ti, Litespeed did some of their best work in producing the Merckx EX frameset, developing a tapered seat tube along with other tweaks and Merckx geometry and stiffness spec's of course.

That tapered seat tube wasn't unique to the Merckx. My 1996 LS Catalyst has a seat tube that tapers from 35 mm just above the the bottom bracket shell to 31 mm at the top just below the saddle clamp. It takes a 34.9 mm front derailleur clamp and a 27.2 mm seat post.

dddd

10/30/15 8:41 AM

Good to know. Unique to the better Lightspeeds then, and of course to their Merckx EX constructions as well.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/30/15 11:06 AM

Anybody ever see a Litespeed Palmares? It was said to be their most advanced tubeset, and they are rare. It was a high dollar frame back in the day.

Jesus Saves

10/30/15 11:06 AM

Nice saddle bag. It looks very classy.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/30/15 2:11 PM

quote:
http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/index1.php

It's a Gilles Berthoud. Very nicely made, and doesn't affect the handling of the bike at all, but they're pretty expensive. He also makes the nicest fenders I've come across - stainless steel with a rolled edge and really nice mounting hardware.

http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/anglais/index1.php

I've bought directly from him and also from Wallingford, who seem to carry a lot of Berthoud stuff.

http://www.wallbike.com/brand/berthoud

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/31/15 5:40 AM

Berthoud

I have a Berthoud handlebar bag on my rando bike and saddle on my commuter. Great stuff.

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/31/15 11:50 AM

Somehow I see the appearance of a clash of materials when I look at any of this fancy luggage or even leather tidbits.

It seems to me that, until and unless it becomes quite well-weathered, these luggage-material add-ons somehow look too clean and "indoorsy" to be on a bicycle.

It's been years now since this look seemed to have made an appearance, after perhaps being promoted by Grant Petersen, and I just don't find myself getting used to the look, whether tweed, leather or similar, or most combinations of same.

It crossed my mnd that this was the intent, to distinguish the rider from the unwashed masses of everyday cyclists.
But in effect, seems also in line with the Rivendell religion to me.

Calling all tribes, choose from the following: Deep-dish carbon rims emblazoned with bold lettering; Tweed bags and front/rear racks/fenders; Or stark functionality of the understated style.

I guessed it was that riders want to be strongly distinguished along their particular cycling demographic, to identify themselves as specifically "racer", "non-fast non-racer" or "whatever I'm feeling like within any particular company (and at whatever particular point along the ride) that happens by", respectively?

I ranteth on.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/31/15 12:04 PM

>Calling all tribes, choose from the following: Deep-dish carbon rims emblazoned with bold lettering; Tweed bags and front/rear racks/fenders; Or stark functionality of the understated style.

But both being contrived as to oppose the other? ;)

dan emery

10/31/15 2:16 PM

Fancy luggage material?

You mean canvas?

The Berthoud bags, like Carradice, are superbly functional and durable.

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/31/15 5:29 PM

Canvass is one thing, but with contrasting piping and leather buckles, would look GREAT if I ever see one of these things that looks really well-used.

As it is, reminds me of Coach handbags for bikes!

But I can appreciate that these brands make durable, functional gear, but this only shines thru when you see one that looks like it's been in service for ten hard years, while the ones I've ever seen looked brand new.

My sensibilities are more offended by the sight of adventurized yet pristine SUV's used for daily commutes, but as I am more bike-centric, these bags also look a little silly to me unless being put to hard use. It's just that I am used to the look of basic and older bikes, though the 1950's old "tank" bikes with fake gas tanks (and racks that didn't really work as such) have always seemed just as silly to me.

Call me old-fashioned, but couldn't these bags be made to look somewhat more like real surplus Iron Curtain army gear from 60 years ago? Ok, maybe half-way toward that look...

I think they had this stuff down in the 1800's! What happened?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/31/15 5:59 PM

@dddd

Frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about.

My Berhoud bag has been on my Rando bike since 2008, and it's there because I actually use it to carry stuff. Through rain, snow, etc. My Carradice bags have been on my commuter since 2010, and I use them constantly year round to carry groceries, mail and whatever else I need to haul.

Outside of some wear on the leather straps, they really don't look much different than new. I'm sorry if that's a problem for you. Perhaps you could hire someone to distress and rip them like a $235 pair of designer jeans.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/31/15 6:23 PM

"couldn't these bags be made to look somewhat more like real surplus Iron Curtain army gear"

Which would accomplish what? Changing the target market to cheap-ars folk like me and you [and making a lot less money selling them] from the 235.00 jean wearing crowd? Is that what we are saying, really? ;)

What is exactly stuck in the craw here, I am oblivious??

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -