HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT Win10 "and a miracle occurs"

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

9/6/15 4:01 PM

OT Win10 "and a miracle occurs"

Some of you may remember my problems with slowing connection speeds (speed cut in half roughly every hour, didn't happen in Safe Mode, reinstalling Win7 did not help). My conclusion was that there was something wrong with the "network card" in my laptop and at the ripe old age of 5.5 years I figured it was just time for a new computer. The plan was to wait 3 months after Win10 came out so they would have time to work out some of the bugs.

My son-in-law decided to take the free Win10 upgrade and was saying he liked the new OS, so I took the plunge. Guess what - no more speed slowdowns. How in the world could this problem be solved by installing Win10? Also worth noting, my external hard drive was showing "no room for backups" (mystery files that you cannot see under any circumstances taking up hundreds of Gb). Now with Win10 it shows 1/3 free.

What the heck is going on?

Reply to topic    

walter

9/6/15 8:20 PM

"undocumented features"

...you're welcome...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

9/6/15 8:48 PM

My not-very-educated guess is that there was a lot of malware crap running under the old OS, and it got wiped with the new installation. I wasn't having your serious problems, but I think my machine is running a little faster after the upgrade from 8 to 10, and I think that's the reason.

walter

9/7/15 7:42 AM

could also have been a...

...corrupt driver, dll, or config file affecting your network device. really hard to say.

RCoapman

9/7/15 3:38 PM

Because winblows

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/7/15 4:04 PM

Well, I suspect that issue could have bee diddled out prior to the update. How much time to pin it down by someone at Coapman$ level would have had to spend messing with transport layer setting [or registry hacks even] maybe coulda funded a new bike....

;)

KerryIrons

9/7/15 4:31 PM

Reinstall Win7

So the question is: why didn't a reinstall of Win7 solve any problems? I run regular malware scans (Malwarebytes) and they find nothing. Likewise virus scans. Would the argument be that since the new OS is "different enough" that the crap and malware can't attack it?

I did take it to a computer repair shop and they looked at it to give me a repair estimate - they said they wouldn't touch it because it could easily be a black hole for tech time and the laptop wasn't worth it.

I was going to buy a new computer next month, but now I'm wondering if that's necessary.

Separate topic - there appears to be no utility to create a system image in Win10. They tell you to use the Win7 utility and that gives me error messages (files not found). Any suggestions?

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/7/15 5:13 PM

quote:
How much time to pin it down by someone at Coapman$ level

LOL...try 15 minutes, bub. Well, 15 minutes for a work machine...maybe a little longer for a home box. If you can't fix it relatively quickly, wipe and reload dat sumbitch. This is why you keep all your data and applications backed up on 2 devices or at least one device with bit-level recoverability like RAID5. My mac does hourly incrementals to my ZFS RAID array with a cold spare drive standing by.

Operating systems are just like any other piece of software- fragile but easily fixable with a complete re-install. If you're not a software engineer, why waste all the time and effort trying to figure out what has gone bad if it's not obvious?

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/7/15 6:58 PM

I let TimeMachine handle my Mac backups and it has been a great program. I don't use hot swappable RAIDs but my simple USB set up has been fine for home use.

My desktop iMac does hourly backups that are transparent to you as you work. My MBA I just plug in on Sunday evening or anytime I have done tons of work on it during the day.

I agree with Rob, I don't want to try and fix shit, if it gets screwed up, just wipe and rewrite the OS.

daddy-o

9/8/15 4:17 AM

I'm on board with the reset, but.

Any slam dunk speedy methods to reinstall applications and especially patches, for the OS and the applications? That is the most tedious part for me. At this point the process is to check the progress every once in a while and hope it's done before bedtime.

Fixing published software is a trap we make for ourselves.

dfcas

9/8/15 2:16 PM

Well then I don't understand why the fresh install of Windows 7 did not fix the problem, but a fresh install of Windows 10 did.

Sparky

9/8/15 2:31 PM

did the 'fresh' install include formatting the drive? Or did it just do an in place file over.
I don;t want to say in place upgrade because you are going back and have to do all the updates over if in fact it was a 'fresh' install.

I spent days doing all the updates after a partition restore pushing the Lenovo 'recovery button' after my mirrors got wasted on a Win8 3 year old note.

KerryIrons

9/8/15 2:39 PM

quote:
If you can't fix it relatively quickly, wipe and reload dat sumbitch.

quote:
I don't understand why the fresh install of Windows 7 did not fix the problem, but a fresh install of Windows 10 did.

For the reinstall of Win7, it was a complete reformat. I did not run anything to clean the hard drive before the reinstall, but I had to reinstall all the drivers, there were hundreds of updates, and bring all my files back from the external HD backup.

The Win10 install did not require any files to come off the hard drive - definitely an in-place upgrade.

Also note that in my couple of months of troubleshooting the problem, I did discover that it didn't happen in Safe Mode - download speed was the same after 10 hours as it was at startup whereas in normal mode it would have slowed 90%. Never could get much of an explanation for that.

FYI Win10's "History" system defaults to hourly backup. Big improvement over the Win7 utility. But there appears to be no Win10 utility to create a system image.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/8/15 2:49 PM

Me, I'd make sure a partition recreation was involved.

walter

9/8/15 3:34 PM

win10 system image how-to

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-create-windows-10-system-image-backup-restore-it-1513321

KerryIrons

9/8/15 4:35 PM

Win10 system image

That link shows you how to use the Win7 Backup and Restore utility to create a system image. So it is the same as Win7. I was hoping that Win10 would offer a better functionality.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

9/8/15 5:21 PM

And you would think that even if it's the same bloody backup utilities used in Win 7, they would have the presence of mind to re-label it as "Windows 10 Backup Utility", or something equally clever.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -