HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

D2R2?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/27/15 4:01 PM

Google Giant Anyroad COMAX. $1895. carbon, Spyre discs, 5800 Shimano.

I think the AL frame lower model may fit bigger tires. No idea as to BB height.

Wet your whistle: http://rideoregonride.com/rides/gravel-rides/

Last edited by Sparky on 8/27/15 4:03 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

8/27/15 4:02 PM

Wow Walter, that bike is absolutely gorgeous. Eye candy.

I'll keep an eye out for a 50cm with discs on Ebay.
If I end up getting something, I will HAVE to ride D2R2 2016.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/27/15 4:26 PM

Here is a few hundred dollar cobbled beater... If I do any CX race this year, It will be on this. Not taking the Strong for that, too much money out and too new.

Hybrid like old steel 730 treks make great off road beaters, if anyone remembers the Steel trek 730 I had for years that fit 45C Fire CX 29er tires. ;)

And the free Sirrus Frame I did up early on in my gravel interest. that is still hanging in the garage [with a few part picked off it. ;) either of these are fun for about any thing except downhill or technical single track.

April

8/27/15 8:14 PM

Sandiway,

You have more than a few options:

1) Ride it on a tandem, either with your wife, or with another stoker. (I've ridden a tandem with my then very green cyclist partner on a rather hilly 3/4 century. This was in California, over 2 mountain passes. I was surprised at how well we did. With low enough gear, a tandem team can climb up a wall without raising the heart rate, albeit very SLOWLY)

2) Ride it on a dedicated, new cross bike! You'll fall in love with the type of riding and put cross tires on your tandem.

3) Ride it on some cobble together beater, and wish you had bought a better bike. And you vow you'll come back another year with a "proper" bike!

sandiway

8/28/15 11:37 AM

My tandem has mtb wheels (559).
Shod with Forté fast city st/k 26 x 1.25 courtesy of Pete Hausner.

But not only would my wife be unwilling, I'd prefer to climb solo because the tandem sucks at climbing.

A single makes short work of short double digit climbs.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/28/15 11:47 AM

Would not be my first choice either, we tend to ride the tandem on flats, actually remove the word tend... ;)

Although there is a nice 3-4% 7 mile climb we do in one place. The biggest problem is not stopping pedaling for the duration for Elaine. Well, that is kind of a problem riding the tandem. I pretty much never stop pedaling. So I gotta go different pedaling mode when we ride it and old habits do die hard.

sandiway

8/28/15 12:30 PM

This is why I'm happy to have the extra complexity and weight of the da Vinci drivetrain. Either of us can independently stop pedaling. That makes tandem riding more relaxing and much less intense.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/28/15 12:48 PM

Any comments on pedal phasing and strikes etc?

sandiway

8/28/15 2:09 PM

In phase pedaling is easy to achieve. And mostly we magically end up in phase. Out of phase, you can definitely feel it in the drivetrain. Maybe it's good for very steep hills when it'll help you get you over that dead spot in each stroke.

As for cornering, we not had any pedal strikes. It helps that she has 5mm shorter cranks. When I start to lean, she automatically leans too. In fact, I only call out the 90 degree or greater turns now.

Reply to topic    

April

8/28/15 9:27 PM

quote:
A single makes short work of short double digit climbs.

Short double digit climb, Sandi?

Nah, not in D2R2, you got LONG double digit climbs aplenty instead!

Seriously, tandem has its advantages. For example, on double digit climb of LOOSE surface, one of the problem is the front wheel tend to come up on a hard pedal stroke. Not a problem on a tandem! Really, just about ANY loose surface, the tandem has the edge. The combined weight makes for great traction un-matched on a single!

Sure, climbing efficiency sucks on a tandem. But nobody cares about efficiency anyway. You're not racing, just finishing would be an accomplishment.

Sparky

8/28/15 9:33 PM

What gears did you folks from here use when riding it?

sandiway

8/29/15 12:51 AM

quote:
What gears did you folks from here use when riding it?

I'd guess you'd need similar gearing to what you use on Kain/Breakneck in northern NJ or anything over a 20% grade.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/15 1:28 AM

Was Breakneck the one in Franklin Lakes that came out by that old mall on 202?

dan emery

8/29/15 4:21 AM

Gears

I have a Velo Orange 46/30 crank with 12-32 10 speed cluster. It seems like I'm in the lowest gear about half the day, but this year I didn't really feel like I wanted a lower gear. So I guess that's right for me. Mike had a 34x32, said he'd like a 36 cog.

I don't have a cadence monitor, but that might show some amusing numbers. I did see 1.8 on the speedo (not sure it was accurate, but it was there).

It would be a long day if you were overgeared....The recommendation from the web site is "bring the gear you need to climb 20 degrees with 100 miles in your legs" (that would be Patten Hill Rd.).

Another aspect is that you shift the front der a million times.

April mentioned long climbs. I think the single hardest climb I've done there is E. Hawley Rd. on the 160 I rode last year, about 4 miles of straight up dirt described as "big gnarly dirt up." Then there is the shorter Pennel Hill Rd. on the 115, described as "a sandbox tilted up 15 degrees."

As to tandems, there was a couple riding the 160 last year on a beautiful Seven ti tandem with a huge boob tube, and riding vey well. They said they had done the 180. I wouldn't want any part of the rocky descents on a tandem, but I'm not skilled and I believe they were.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/15 10:05 AM

Seeing it, I know you typed that already, thanks for the repeat/reply of that.

sandiway

8/29/15 10:32 AM

quote:
Was Breakneck the one in Franklin Lakes that came out by that old mall on 202?

I'm not sure. But I thought you'd recognize them since you're from Northern NJ. You should ask Nate Morgenstern. I did those climbs on one of his rides.

Myself, I'm very familiar with Fiddler's Elbow etc. which tops out at 22-23%. I used to do hill repeats on it.

The benchmark we used to use for hilly rides in NJ was 100 ft of climbing per mile. If a ride met or exceeded this, we deemed it plenty hilly. So if you do a century or a race and it has over 10,000 ft of climbing, you got your money's worth. And D2R2 easily meets this criterion, so I'm excited!

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/29/15 10:40 AM

quote:
Nah, not in D2R2, you got LONG double digit climbs aplenty instead!

I think of short double digit climbs as NJ hills, a mile or possibly two. But Dan indicates that there are steep 4 mile long climbs. That's definitely not short. And makes it even more appealing!

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/29/15 10:50 AM

quote:
As to tandems, there was a couple riding the 160 last year on a beautiful Seven ti tandem with a huge boob tube, and riding vey well. They said they had done the 180. I wouldn't want any part of the rocky descents on a tandem, but I'm not skilled and I believe they were.

I'm not surprised. There are some incredibly good tandem(ers?) in New England.
I've ridden with a couple of long distance tandems, their riding levels are way above what my wife and I could do.

In any case, my house in AZ sit on a small ridge. And every time we come home, there's a fairly short but pretty steep (double digit) climb back up to our little ridge line. And my wife complains and has to climb standing up every time. By the time we hit the front door, we're both breathing very hard and the sweat is pouring off our faces. The difference is I've got a smile on my face and she's just relieved we didn't fall over sideways. So a whole of day of such climbs or worse would not be good for marital harmony.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/15 11:01 AM

"By the time we hit the front door, we're both breathing very hard and the sweat is pouring off our faces"

Nothing like a good cool down at the end of your ride, eh? I always like to come off the bike with my HR at least below 115bpm. And I am sure you agree. Do you have two stationary trainers set up in the garage? Sounds like you need them due to the ridge top finishes. ;)

sandiway

8/29/15 11:58 AM

We get into the house. It could be 100F outside. Difficult to cool down in that. (And the garage is probably 120F.)

But it's a very nice 79F inside with the airconditioning on. That's the COOL DOWN!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/15 12:09 PM

I forgot about the equator like environment in which you reside. ;)

sandiway

8/29/15 12:27 PM

It's dry. So 100F is ok.

I equate equator-like with high humidity, like some of those hazy, poor air quality days in a Jersey summer when it feels sticky and yucky.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/29/15 12:58 PM

I hear you, the middle TN valley was no bargain in a tropical rain forest kind of way. In summer you had to be done by 9:30-10:00 at the latest.

When I was in Denver in 2006, it hit 106^ and had single digit humidity. Plenty hot, but the suffrage is lower. ;) And a few years back in CA [LA county] I tried to get some rides in and it was more like TN there.

sandiway

8/29/15 1:04 PM

quote:
the middle TN valley was no bargain in a tropical rain forest kind of way. In summer you had to be done by 9:30-10:00 at the latest.

That's the price you have to pay for all those gorgeous trees and incredibly green countryside!

Reply to topic    

April

8/29/15 5:34 PM

quote:
I wouldn't want any part of the rocky descents on a tandem,

I wouldn't call myself experienced when it comes to tandem. But I rode a tandem probably about 5-10 times. I captained it, that is.

The long wheelbase may actually helps when it comes to rocky descend. It should smooth out the rocky part. As for the descend, I would think it's just like any other descend on a tandem.

While I remember vividly of many of the steep climbs, I don't recall too many steep descends.

So I'm inclined to believe a tandem could do quite well on D2R2. You do need low enough gears to handle the double digit climbs, SEATED. Standing up is not really an option on many of the climbs. You'll easily loose traction on the loose surface.

[/b]

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -