HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Thinking of giving up cycling
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sandiway

5/22/15 10:07 AM

I had blood work done recently. And the only thing they pointed out was I was very low on Vitamin D. WTF, I live in southern Arizona!

I'm on 5000iu daily for 3 months, then 2000iu after that.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

5/22/15 11:05 AM

Vitamin D is fat soluble

Perhaps it is because you are too fit (lean).

Reply to topic    

sandiway

5/22/15 12:00 PM

quote:
Perhaps it is because you are too fit (lean).

Nope. I'm so fat I sometimes despair of getting rid of this spare tire...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/15 12:07 PM

"I'm so fat I sometimes despair of getting rid of this spare tire... "

But is it a 28C, 35C or..... ?

Two friends which I ride with often, whom do not ride at least 4 times a week as I manage to, have the 'spare' more than I. Simply cause and effect for me. I bet if I rode less I'd have a bigger one...

By the time July get around and the mile I manage, I start to actually not have one... [almost] If I could only stop eating...

It does not seem to effect my power much, low as it is anyway. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

5/22/15 1:57 PM

quote:
But is it a 28C, 35C or..... ?

I wish. More like..

I'd settle for a 28C..

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/15 2:19 PM

There is a guy our age on some of the club rides I would ride. He had quite the protuberance, he was always up front with the group of 3-5 that would splinter off from the 20-25 riders frankly.

I just stay pedaling and if and when it diminishes so be it. It takes about 1500 miles before I start having the winter shorts/pants falling off.... Yeah, a lot of shorts early on here cold or not. ;)

April

5/22/15 3:01 PM

Vitamin-D

The recommendation for V-D is all over the place. I've had doctor told me I'm ok, and doctor who prescribe high dose of it. Granted, there's little harm in taking V-D...

What beats me is, for all of us who are outside for many hours every week, how can we be low on V-D? Who would have "normal" V-D level except for farmers in Africa?

sandiway

5/22/15 3:20 PM

quote:
What beats me is, for all of us who are outside for many hours every week, how can we be low on V-D? Who would have "normal" V-D level except for farmers in Africa?

I don't know. It surprised the heck out of me.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/15 3:22 PM

Especially when riding frequently and hard I take a D3, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium Suppliment. And Gatorade with cane sugar and Morton Salt light added in and have left the Citomax for dead. Especially in hour 3-4 of hard rides the difference is notable.

And I have chewed on 1-2 CalMags on the bike to remedy cramps instead of the salt like Nate showed me to carry 100 years ago..

I still keep a little stash of the Sodium/potassium Salt Lite mix on my person too.

If not, Once all that water stored in my spare tire dilutes out the minerals I am toasted...

daddy-o

5/22/15 4:49 PM

For some of us it's not the spare tire, it's the spare keg. It really is strange to be 25% above racing weight.

Frankly I have faith in April that she will be the last of us to get even a spare innertube if she decides to cut back on the bike. But don't quit!

I'm sold on this "plant sourced" Calcium D3 suppliment

dan emery

5/22/15 4:52 PM

Low D

I have that too. It can result from metabolic issues among other things. I take 4000 units to combat Hyperparathyroidism, which can be caused by low D and can cause osteoporosis. I specialize in weird disorders that start with H and have lot of syllables. But at least these are the only 2 weird disorders that I know I have, and neither are too bad as long as you know you have them.

Reply to topic    

April

5/22/15 9:43 PM

quote:
Frankly I have faith in April that she will be the last of us to get even a spare innertube if she decides to cut back on the bike. But don't quit!

Well, thanks for the good faith. Yes, genetics is on my side. So spare innertube isn't something I look out for.

But being light and small has its disadvantages. For one thing, I have thinner bones! Even though I have normal bone density the last time I checked (1 1/2 year ago), the bones are thinner, period! So I'm more vulnerable to crashes.

Second unavoidable problem is I don't have a lot of muscle mass. So power isn't my strong point. Keeping up with groups on the flat had always been a struggle for me. I would wait for the group at the top of the climb, only to get dropped once we're back on the flat (descend, fortunately isn't a problem)

But as I get older, I'm more focus on being healthy in a general way, beyond just bike riding. I have a few obscure medical issues like Dan. Having to balance to keep them in check is a constant struggle.

I have no plan to quit biking altogether. It's like swimming, a part of normal way of life. BTW, they put the CitiBike station across from my office back into operation. So bike commute will be in the game plan again. Cycling for me isn't a "sport" but an "activity" that I quite enjoy(ed). But that's in doubt now whether I still enjoy it.

Yes, I struggle to justify putting myself out on the open road again. I've witnessed several devastated crash injuries in the past.Can't pretend it can't happen to me any more! I can only minimize the probability but no one can be 100% sure. The consequence can't bear thinking of.

I think I'm going hiking tomorrow

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/23/15 5:30 AM

Vit D

I have not been tested in years but was told that large amounts of non impact aerobic exercise like cycling and swimming can cause a calcium drop which could be related to the Vit D deficit. I include a bit of skim milk in my coffee and drink milk often.

My wife does not need supplemental Vit D.

sandiway

5/23/15 7:23 AM

Speaking of hiking, I did a 6 hour hike with 3000 ft vertical gain three days ago, and I ran 10k yesterday on the treadmill. Maybe it's the spare tire but my speed on the 10k is too embarrassing to mention. Because it took so long to run 10k, I figured the calorie expenditure made it worth doing anyway.

I'm preparing for next weekend's big Grand Canyon hike.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/24/15 7:51 AM

Hyperacidity

I was in a vegan diet / migraine study two years ago and one of the points the requisite classes hammered home is that meat, egg, dairy products cause an acidic change in the body's PH and one defense of the body is to use bone calcium because it's alkaline in solution. Tums antacid, for instance, can be used as a (blunt) calcium supplement.

I'm not talking morality with this next piece.

The vegan community is of course harshly critical of the milk and cheese industry; in particular the calcium claims are cited. The vegan stance is that digesting the milk proteins affect negatively the PH and therefore bone density more than the benefit of the calcium.

These days I eat meat. It's very satisfying and convenient. However it is not at all unusual for me to go days on a vegan diet. My problem has been that the definition of a vegan diet can include french fries and coca-cola! But as the scale attests... lately I'm being proper and good.

April

5/24/15 9:50 AM

claims, counter-claims...

The harsh truth is, we're in unexplored territory! Our great grand-parents did not live to be 100, nor out skiing and riding (doing multiple centuries?) into their 90's. We're sitting hear debating what's the best way to ENSURE we'll be healthy and active into our late years. I don't think the data are there to support most of the claims out there. They're mostly theories, awaiting to be verified by...US, as we live to be that age!

So believe what you want. Just keep in mind we're the genuine pig.

(here I am, asking myself if the risk of cycling can still be justified by the benefit as I get older. And till how old the trade-off is still on the positive side... my thought is colored by a club mate in California who, in mid-60's, having ridden safely for years with the club, only to crash twice in short time frame and died from the second crash with no clear clue as to why. We were left wondering whether there's some underlying issue that caused the crashes in the first place)

While there're many older folks riding safely into their 70's and 80's, as a group they're still the rare minority. And no one is collecting accident rate by age either. So if there're indicator for deteriorating condition that makes older folks less safe, we wouldn't know until probably after our passing)

sandiway

5/24/15 1:09 PM

quote:
here I am, asking myself if the risk of cycling can still be justified by the benefit as I get older.

It's not really unexplored territory.

The largest cycling club around is a bunch of seniors. http://saddlebrookecyclemasters.org . They live in Saddlebrooke, a massive retirement development some miles north of me, so every morning I can see a big group of them coming down Oracle Rd. They seems to bike to some bakery or something. Sit and chat. And then bike back.

And an embarrassing reveal: most of those geezers and gal-zers? are leisurely BUT I once was dropped by one of them on a long steep climb. Granted I was clearly out of shape, but I couldn't hold the guy's wheel and he was clearly well into his late sixties...

I was thinking, old folk, no friggin' respect for younger people... :)

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/24/15 2:47 PM

Geezer?

Sandiway, did I read you including late 60s in "geezers"? Ha ha, I'm not there yet, but not far away.

Anyway, everyone has to judge costs and benefits for themselves, but at nearly 65 I'm riding better than I have in a long while (no mystery, less weight and more training) and really enjoying it. Stopping doesn't enter my mind, though as I've posted I don't often ride in groups, and ride conservatively. I don't feel unsafe on the bike at all, though I'm pretty sure April's reactions are better than mine (the last time the doc tapped my knee, not much happened...)

As you age, I think the times you can enjoy doing things you love become more precious.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

5/24/15 3:52 PM

Dan, if you are able to ride more, you probably are riding better, that's the way this sport goes. So I bet those older Saddlebrooke folk (choosing my words carefully just in case one decides to drop me again...) who have the time to ride daily could - relatively speaking - possibly be in the shape of their lives. More power to them...

For females, the picture might be a bit different. I don't know if April is approaching, ahem, a landmark point. But after that unmentioned point, bone density etc. is supposed to be a real issue. Crashes get more serious.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/24/15 4:00 PM

Well

Not really riding a lot more, just a bit harder, coupled with less weight (though I did ride more indoors over the winter, evenings and weekends). I'm still a working stiff, no plans to let up on that. But I agree, riding and weight I think are the big factors, @25 or 65.

And FWIW my bone density ain't great (witness post about Hyperparathyroidism) which increases my interest in not falling, but does not keep me off the bike. As I said, we all have to find our own balance.

Reply to topic    

April

5/24/15 7:38 PM

quote:
I don't know if April is approaching, ahem, a landmark point. But after that unmentioned point, bone density etc. is supposed to be a real issue. Crashes get more serious.

There's only one such "landmark" point I know of. I've already past it a few years back.

My bone density, last checked a year and half ago, was normal. That was done after my crash at D2R2. That crash was so violent I'm not sure if the outcome would be any different even if I had above average BD. Another data point, a guy I rode with, in his 40's, fell entering a gas station, at very low speed, broke his hip! Bone density check afterward was normal too.

BD is only an issue AFTER a crash already happened, and only in some crashes. The fatality I witnessed, rider had head injury. BD wouldn't be relevant either.

My main concern is my unusually high crash frequency of late. Landing on my hip or shoulder is a "lucky" outcome, broken collarbone notwithstanding. I'm scared what if my next fall maybe on the less robust part of my body?

(The worst accident I witnessed was 20 years ago. Rider broke her neck and bruised her spine. She was barely able to walk, in a lopsided way. Never mind bike riding)

Some accidents are just that, accidents. Mine maybe just such. But sometimes, a string of accidents might be an indication of something else. I don't want to be so blind to miss that elephant in the room, except I really know what to look for. I'm looking for ideas. That's all.

Sparky

5/24/15 7:55 PM

"The fatality I witnessed, rider had head injury. BD wouldn't be relevant either. "

My sense is, and understandably so, that this experience is possibly a prevalent force in your cycling psyche as this point.

April

5/24/15 9:12 PM

quote:
My sense is, and understandably so, that this experience is possibly a prevalent force in your cycling psyche as this point.

If you mean the fact she crashed merely a year earlier, after years of safe riding, yes. And it isn't just "now", it's been a prevailing thought in my mind after each crash, mine or closed associates.

In terms of devastation, the rider with broken neck is actually worse. I was called as a witness in her trial 5 years later (sued the city for the crack on the bridge, case settled). The realization she's locked in a permanent state of severe disability (and never ending pain) for the rest of her life (she was only in her 40's when it happened), that no amount of money would compensate. It never left my mind, just a matter of how deeply it got suppressed.

It's that fear that stopped me from encouraging my Mom to get back on the bike after HER crash in her late 60's.

Myself, I continued to ride after each crash, for as long as I could find a clearly defined "boundary parameter" that caused each crash. But this latest crash puts the boundary (if there's one) square in the middle of ALL my rides!

Those were the two worst, in addition to the string of "the usual" collarbone, hip and wrist/elbow...

sandiway

5/24/15 11:53 PM

April, you still ski, don't you? Do you crash more often too?

Reply to topic    

April

5/25/15 8:28 AM

ski

Skiing isn't a good comparison.

I took a week long clinic a few years back, with some of the best instructors (National Demo team member). That changed my skiing entirely. Since the clinic, I've crashed considerable less often. So, if there's issue with deteriorating reflex, it got masked by my improvement in technique.

That said, I have problem there too. Post clinic, I now ski much faster than before. So while I crash less often, each crash hurts more. I'm still nursing a sore thigh from a crash a couple months ago.

Skiing, I'm still improving, though I'm also reaching a point that I need to put down "boundary" pretty soon. Cycling, I'm no longer improving. I've retreated from quite some boundary already. More limits, it wouldn't be much fun any more.

Fundamentally, skiing is more like mountain biking than road biking. Crashes at skiing, as in mtn biking, are frequent but more forgiving. One due to lower speed, the other due to soft or slippery surface reducing the impact force and injury potential. Road biking involves high speed on hard unforgiving surface. So crashes, each and every one, are potentially lethal.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -