HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Devil's Gear

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

4/14/15 2:40 PM

Devil's Gear

You may (or may not) have seen something about this.

The Devil's Gear, one of New Haven's finest bike shops, a good member of the community and home to some of the nicest and most skilled mechanics you'll ever meet, is in trouble.

I'm biased--it's 5 miles from my house.

Please take a look and consider helping them out:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/devil-s-gear-bike-shop-fundraiser/x/10470981

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/14/15 4:54 PM

OK

Gave them a few $, but sounds like they have an uphill struggle. Never been there, but my brother and nephew use that shop and my brother can be, well, let's say, a bit picky. Sounds like they have a real sense of mission, and while New Haven has a fine bike tradition, I'd guess it's not an easy place to maintain a bike shop.

Sounds like they got overextended during good times. Funny, some "advisors" would have you believe that getting a loan is an awesome accomplishment and an end in itself. I'm glad I'm generally too paranoid to do that. Good luck to the shop.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/15 6:04 PM

Well, I am going to do Devil's advocate. Seems like any money would only forestall what a poorly run business's eventuality is going to be. Not to mention a lot of favors to return, also not good for a business model quite possibly??

Having uttered all that, I hope they can pull it out. And if it was one of three shops back in Joisey I would pony up. In fact I will pony something, being better than nothing in this case also. For the cause because a forum member asked...

Andy M-S

4/14/15 6:56 PM

Ummm

Dan, Sparky:

Thanks!

I wish I could share the story of what happened at the DG, but I can't, online or off. Maybe at some point in the future, but not now.

Sparky

4/14/15 7:03 PM

No expectation of explanation from me.

Cheers!

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/15/15 4:27 AM

So a small business is failing and the answer I to ask for handouts?

I find this odd and disturbing. It is up to the owner to figure out the business model that works and to adapt to changing markets. Asking for money to just keep the boat afloat is wrong.

Dave B

4/15/15 7:33 AM

quote:
So a small business is failing and the answer I to ask for handouts?

Grant Peterson did just about the same thing several years ago when Rivendell was barely hanging on financially. He wrote e-mails and ad circulars basically begging people to buy something. I guess it worked because he is still around.

Andy's comment says there is an unknown backstory to this that may be more than just poor business planning but since we don't know it, we can only guess.

Andy M-S

4/15/15 7:37 AM

Erik

That's certainly one way to look at it, and many economists would agree with you. I'm not an economist and so I'm going to disagree.

Matt and crew are the kind of people who fix BSOs. Not because they like fixing BSOs, but because that's what a lot of people here use to get around. They won't laugh at *any* bicycle that comes in the door. They don't overcharge. And they won't turn you away if you bought parts on the web and need help.

My own example. After I got my hip replaced, I spent a lot of time being bored. So I ordered sh_t over the web to build a new bike, and when it got here, I realized that I was still not up to some things and would need help. Well--DG sells the same manufacturer's stuff, so I was a little embarrassed, but I texted Matt about it and his response was "Let's build you a bicycle--bring it in." No problems, no recriminations, no nothing.

A couple of years back my son Isaac was doing pre-training (forget the exact term) before entering the Army. He would ride down to the New Haven green and then ride back home. One night he lost his keys. Next day he took the bus down and Matt grabbed a set of lock-cutters the size of my leg and walked over to Grove St. to cut the lock for Isaac. No charge.

That's good people.

So you can see it as a handout if you want. I see it as a long-term investment. So far, 200+ people have agreed with me.

dan emery

4/15/15 7:56 AM

Sympathy for the Devil

Small business ain't easy, it appears at least half fail in 5 years (or a higher percentage, depending on your source of stats). And I'm guessing a community oriented LBS is in the less easy segment of small business. So if one fails you can't just say they are stupid. Crowd sourcing is really just a kind of new age type of financing, and there may be none other available. There was just a news story where a similar effort saved an old diner somewhere.

If you run a small business doing something you love and believe in, you probably don't make most decisions on a strictly economic basis. But perhaps some people will value what you do.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/15/15 10:32 AM

What else does fate have in store for the place, albeit this was 2011.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/bike_enthusiast_shot_dead/

Some back story on the $ issues?

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/04/09/devils-gear-bike-shop-in-financial-trouble/

Andy M-S

4/15/15 12:07 PM

Mitch

Mitch's death was a real blow to the New Haven community, not just because he worked at the DG.

As for the expansion, it's *part* of the problem, but by no means all of it. Without the other part of the backstory, the DG could probably still survive in that space. Fortunately, their new location will be less than a block away, near the same plaza on Orange St. that has made the DG such a great place to meet for BTW breakfasts, ride starts, etc.

Andy M-S

4/15/15 2:34 PM

Sparky:

Thanks.

Sparky

5/14/15 8:32 PM

update Devil's Fund me...

$22,307USD raised by 308 people in 1 month

175k does not seem likely, does it?

Andy M-S

5/15/15 2:50 AM

Nope

And it was probably never likely. But it was an open goal; everything helps.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -