HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

And the beat goes on.. Disc caliper mounting standards

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/7/15 9:28 PM

And the beat goes on.. Disc caliper mounting standards

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/shimano-unveils-flat-mount-road-hydro-disc-brake-caliper

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

4/8/15 6:07 AM

These current multiple brake mounts, bottom bracket designs, headset configurations, etc. should never be called "standards", they are "alternatives".

Sparky

4/8/15 11:01 AM

truely...

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/8/15 11:28 AM

most shop wrenches hate the mess we have now, to many special tools, to many finicky set-ups.

Standard threaded BBs are great, so are j-bend spokes. Art's has a youtube channel and they often are bitching about the so-called standards and the problems the new designs have created.

walter

4/8/15 7:34 PM

that first surfaced back @ inter/eurobike

technically i like it, but as everyone has already lamented yet another spec doesnt help anyone out.

Sparky

4/8/15 7:55 PM

They have to allow the design to move forward. I like it as well on the surface as compared to the two previous types.

Brian Nystrom

4/9/15 5:40 AM

I tend to agree

I figured that disc brakes would evolve to be more road-specific once they became more common. It's inevitable and the end result will be better products for road applications.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/9/15 7:37 AM

English 30 Bottom Bracket

I just saw a description of a new bottom bracket "standard" called something like English 30 that is basically an English threaded external bearing bottom bracket like the various Shimano HTII models but with a bigger hole to accommodate 30 mm spindles. It gets around the need for a press fit bb shell and allows standard English threaded frames to use FSA and other 30 mm spindle cranks. There is also an Italian threaded equivalent.

I can't find the reference right now so if anyone else can, let me know where it was.

sanrensho

4/9/15 1:10 PM

Flat mount looks good to me, let the market decide. There is no comparison to the BB situation, which is ridiculous.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/9/15 1:46 PM

quote:
There is no comparison to the BB situation, which is ridiculous.

The bottom bracket situation is certainly ridiculous but i'm not sure disc brakes are any better. There are at least two disc mounts, center lock and 6-bolt, and at least three caliper mounts with possibly more to come. Then there are both road and MTB mechanical types plus hydraulics of various flavors and differing brake fluids. Simple huh?

dfcas

4/9/15 4:29 PM

Thread title should be "Non standards".

Brian Nystrom

4/10/15 5:35 AM

"English 30"

The E*Thirteen TRS crank on Linda's fat bike has one of these and it installs just like any other external threaded BB (although theirs uses a proprietary tool that's included with the crankset). In fact, they just refer to it as a BSA bottom bracket.

Reply to topic    

walter

4/10/15 8:15 AM

is "English 30" the same as "BSA 30"?

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=BSA+30+Ceramic+Bottom+Bracket&vendorCode=ROTOR&major=1&minor=6

Sparky

4/10/15 10:11 AM

Race Face Cinch as well ??

Anthony Smith

4/10/15 4:01 PM

Nothing new here

Remember English, Italian, French, and Swiss Bottom Brackets, English could be threaded Standard or Wentworth. Multiple (like dozens of) seatpost sizes.

Front overlocks of 88 or 100mm. Rear Overlocks of 120, 124 (Japanese 5 speed), 126...

Three different saddle rail dimensions.

Multiple freewheel hub interface threadings.

Dropout derailleur hangers in English/Italian threaded, French threaded, or unthreaded (for some Simplex)

Or pedals in 14mm or 9/16. 9/16 was slightly bigger and wouldn't go into a 14mm threaded arm, but a 14mm pedal could screw into a 9/16 arm and then would loosen slightly and act like a slap hammer and break the end off the crankarm.

Just to mention a few things.

IMHO things are much much more standardized today than when I started in 1973

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/11/15 6:53 AM

The difference back then was...

...that the "standards" were actually standards and they didn't change for decades. While French, British and Italian bikes each had their own standards, they were relatively consistent within their country of manufacture. Once you understood the idiosyncrasies of a given country/brand, you were all set. There was also a fair amount of interchangeability of parts like BB spindles. It really wasn't until the rise of mountain bikes in the '90's that things began to change.

These days, we seem to be caught in the "New Standard of the Month Club". About the only things that are relatively stable now are pedal threads, seat post sizes and and stem/handlebar sizes. OTOH, bottom brackets, headsets, front derailleur configurations (at least for MTBs) and hub dimensions (again, mostly for MTBs) are completely out of control.

Of course, anyone in the biz still has to deal with all of the old standards, the transitional ones (like 1" threadless steerers and 25.4mm MTB bars) AND all of the new "non-standards". That's got to be a whole lot o' fun!

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/11/15 7:42 AM

Yes

quote:
Is "English 30" the same as "BSA 30"?

Yes, that's the correct name. I couldn't remember where I saw the description but it was in the current issue of "Adventure Cycling" magazine.

walter

4/11/15 2:36 PM

of all these new "standards"...

...i can live with a BSA-30...at least it's still threaded!

Brian Kelly

4/14/15 3:52 PM

And let's not forget front and rear spacing standards....

After 100mm being that standard forever, now 110 is being pushed

Rear spacing at 130, 135, and now 142 and 150 (and that doesn't even get into the fatbike stuff...)

Axle sizes- 9mm, 10mm 15mm 20mm, QR, thru axle...

I have been thinking of getting a new CX bike for a few years now, but the way spec (9, 10, now 11sp? 1x or 2x; disc or canti; 130 or 135; tubed, tubeless or tubular) and standards keep changing, I have held off. I could have bought 2 bikes in this time, and still wouldn't be "current" with today's standards.

Meanwhile, I have started to swing the other direction, and started thinking that as long as I can squeeze life out of the frame and old 8sp parts, who needs to upgrade?

Sparky

4/14/15 4:06 PM

When Carl delivers my new frame. I plan to do 10 speed with Bar Cons on Midge Bars. I guess I will be stuck with the normal disc mounts, even on the Ritchey fork being the non tapered choices are likely to vanish.

He is using a rear dropout and providing two length RD hangers.

King 1-1/8" headset and may even use a mint 8 speed XT 110 BC crankset I have with square taper BB. Else a 22/32/44 Race Face external BB for threaded that is HT-II type. I am looking forward to the steel over the plastic Roubaix. But not looking to drop a ton of coin to have the latest and greatest. Albeit a near bout of Di2 almost infected me.... But the new frame will have Di2 Ports as well as triple cable loops under the Top Tube. I have the old one for 16 years and still ride it, this one I hope to carry me to my doom. ;)

Plan is to replace a few bikes with the Swiss Army Strong Disc bike. Which I may have mentioned in another thread...
One down, 3 to go...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -