HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

PowerTap P1 pedal and C1 chainring power meters launched

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/17/15 3:59 PM

PowerTap P1 pedal and C1 chainring power meters launched

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/powertap-p1-pedal-and-c1-chainring-power-meters-launched

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/18/15 4:50 AM

The chainring setup...

...is a brilliant idea, especially for old farts like me who ride compact cranks. Unfortunately, it will require a change of cranks for most racers.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/18/15 6:10 AM

The other thing is that their compact is limited to a 36 due to the size of the pod.

sandiway

3/18/15 7:29 AM

pedals

The all-in-one pedals seem to have an advantage over Garmin Vector in that there is no separate pod and calibration. They are a bit heavy but use AAA batteries.

So you could take the pedals and easily move it to another bike. Or take it with you when traveling and renting bicycles. I don't think it'll be so easy to move the Vector.

I look forward to seeing dcrainmaker's review.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/18/15 11:35 AM

Big swing in price. As predicted in previous thread, system will get a lot friendlier. $699 list for the spider with rings is the perfect example of this.

dan emery

3/18/15 12:34 PM

pricing options

They ought to have a low price model for those of us who can't generate any significant power. Eco Friendly, Energy Star.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/18/15 12:43 PM

My power meter

While a power meter is certainly an important tool for a professional cyclist, the bulk of them are of course sold to amateurs who misinterpret their amateur status and poor results as signs that they need to spend a huge amount of money on a power meter when in fact their amateur status and poor results are actually the very reasons they don't need a power meter. If you're an amateur, buying a power meter to train is like hiring an accountant to tell you how broke you are or like buying an iPhone just to check your Cannondale stock. Yet amateurs not only buy power meters, but they think $1,000 for a power meter is actually cheap. Clearly then, I will make a fortune when I introduce my own power meter at next year's Interbike, since it will be the cheapest and most accurate one ever. Yes, for $5 you'll get an LCD display which constantly flashes the message, "You suck."

From Bike snob NYC

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/18/15 1:02 PM

Very limited view. I've never been more than a recreational cyclist, albeit serious. I've had power meters for almost 15 years. They are excellent pacing tools, and useful for training as well, regardless of your ultimate output. Yes, I know I suck.

As far as pricing goes, yeah, under 1k is going to be the new norm for dual sided powermeters, and probably below 500 for single sided.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/18/15 1:30 PM

the pedals would not work well for a crit racer. bang and crash in tight race.

henoch

3/18/15 9:09 PM

To Ricks post

I know you are just kind of making a joke, but according to that logic we should all be riding $200 bikes from Target.

I would in fact argue that the opposite is true, if you are born with limited talent but want to be the best rider you can be then training with a power meter will help you get there much better then without one, If that's worth $500 or $1k or $3k only you can decide.

As to Sparky's original post, I think that these are game changers as far as bringing power to a wider audience, I would also be very worried if I was Stages or Power2Max.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

3/18/15 9:26 PM

quote:
the pedals would not work well for a crit racer. bang and crash in tight race.

Can we assume people don't ride their best bike in a (training) crit. Too risky.

Put the pedals on the good bike.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/19/15 9:11 AM

Henoch

You are correct the quotation was posted a joke (I own two powertaps one older "yellow head" and a G3 hub) except the part where it says I suck...that part IS true I put out the FTP of a gerbil ask anyone who has raced with me....:)

Reply to topic    

henoch

3/19/15 11:35 AM

I bet you that Gerbils have a really high W/kg :)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/19/15 12:26 PM

Excellent point Henoch

Indoors you are pretty much independent of the kg thing....

Can't wait to get on the road and see how all this indoor training translates to real riding on the road. At least my kg are less than they used to be...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/19/15 8:09 PM

I feel like a gerbil in a spinning cage fest about 45 minutes into a computrainer session I can tell you.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -