CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Any way to convert Ergo 10s lever to 11s?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

1/30/15 1:58 AM

Any way to convert Ergo 10s lever to 11s?

I have a pair of Chorus 10s Ergo levers that I bought in about 2000 but have never used. They're the version 2 Ergos with the rounded hoods, not the early ones with the pointy hoods. The lever blades are aluminium rather than carbon-fibre. In the past I've converted 9s Ergos to 10s with a new ratchet and pair of G springs, but from my Googling it seems that converting 10 to 11 is very difficult if not impossible. I did find one bike shop that claims to be able to do it (see https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1107524861808&_fb_noscript=1 ), but nowhere can I find if the components for the conversion can be purchased.

I suppose, seeing that Athena 11s shifters can be purchased for under $200, that it's hardly worth going to the trouble. Maybe I should just sell the NOS levers on eBay. Some people seem to be asking ridiculous prices for NOS components.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/30/15 7:17 AM

Nick- a quick search turned this up https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&gl=AU&v=MZBzT4ZmSTU; tuningxcampy@gmail.com

I suppose that's where the index wheel is being sourced. Let me know if its for real...no reason why it shouldn't work.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

1/30/15 8:32 AM

Do the Athena front shifters have the old Campy "micro shift" multi-click action or are they more Shimano-like with only three or so positions that limit trim options?

Nick Payne

1/30/15 7:28 PM

No, I'm pretty sure that the Athena shifters don't have the same amount of FD micro-adjustment as the Chorus and Record shifters offer. However, on the Record 10s and Chorus 11s shifters that I have on other bikes, I can't recall ever needing to use the FD micro adjustment (I don't have any bikes with triple chainrings).

I have emailed the gmail address from the YT video. If I get a response I'll report back. If it's a goer I could also convert the 10s Record shifters I have on another bike.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/31/15 8:27 PM

Friction shifting

quote:
I can't recall ever needing to use the FD micro adjustment

This is not the issue. With Shimano and other "automatic shifting" systems, you don't get the choice of what is functionally friction shifting, where you can move the FD as much or as little as you want to accomplish the task, whether it be trimming or shifting. "Automatic" means the shifter moves a full shift and then you trim (if needed and if there are trim positions available). I've ridden bikes with the "full bang" FD shift and I don't like it. Others may differ.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

2/1/15 9:01 AM

I did

quote:
I can't recall ever needing to use the FD micro adjustment (I don't have any bikes with triple chainrings).

I've had 8 and 9-speed Shimano STI's and Campy 10-speed Chorus Ergos and I did make use of the Campy multi-click trim function even on the larger two chainrings of a triple. I found it much easier to set up and more versatile than the STI's limited trim option.

Now I have "Retroshift" brifters on a couple of bikes. These have 10-speed indexing for the rear and friction for the front shifting. Friction is, obviously, the ultimate "micro-shifting" allowing perfect trim over any chainring. I'd almost forgotten how nice it is. I'd never go back to friction for rear shifting but it's great for the front.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -