HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mountain cycling

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

1/27/15 4:15 AM

Mountain cycling

My wife and I just returned from our annual week and a bit of cycling in the Victorian Alps. We stay in the same town all week, as there are seven or eight big climbs nearby, ride a mountain or two each morning, and sloth around in the afternoon recovering and watching the Australian Open Tennis and the Tour Down Under on TV. We finish the week by riding the annual Audax alpine randonnee, which has been going for about 30 years, and has expanded from less than a dozen riders when we first rode it in the 1980s to about 2000 starters now over the various distances. The event even has its own permanent web site: https://www.alpineclassic.com.au/public/index.php

Here are some photos from our rides during the week:

Tawonga Gap in the cool of the early morning. The road climbs to near the high voltage transmission tower that can be seen on the skyline through the gap in the trees.

CRB Hill, the steepest part of the long climb up Mt Hotham. This section is 16-18% gradient for about 1Ľkm.

Descending Mt Hotham. There are a few short steep ascents to wake your legs up on the way down.

Some photo stitching on the descent of Mt Buffalo, showing the cyclist both entering and exiting the hairpin.

And for something completely different, we spent a day riding the pleasantly flat rail trails along some of the valleys.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/27/15 2:14 PM

I like that photo-stitching idea. I'm going to have to try it.

Have to set up the camera on a tripod with a wide angle lens. And then let it shoot continuously at 8 fps, you should be able to get a nice smooth sequence...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/15 2:51 PM

Shot two and three make me want to go up! ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

1/27/15 9:00 PM

For most photo stitching I find that handheld is fine - the photo above was stitched from two handheld images, and this one is from three handheld images: http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/Switzerland/SanBernardinoPass.jpg .

About the only time I use a tripod is if I'm creating a virtual tour using 360 degree panoramas, and there I mount the camera on a bracket that puts the optical centre of the lens directly over the rotational axis of the tripod, so that I don't get any parallax between near and far objects as the camera is panned. Example of a virtual tour here: http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/house/2013_08_10/virtualtour.html - hold the mouse button down and drag left or right to rotate each panorama left or right, click on any of the white dots in a panorama to jump to another panorama shot from that viewpoint.

I use Kolor Software's Autopano for stitching, which is very nice, and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, but it's fairly expensive. Free alternatives are Microsoft ICE for Windows ( http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/ ), or Hugin, which is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac ( http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ ). For virtual tours I use Kolor's Panotour, also available for multiple platforms.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/27/15 9:47 PM

quote:
virtual tour using 360 degree panoramas,

I have Autopano Pro too. It's great. And I have a Nodal Ninja to use with my fisheye lenses for spherical panorama photography. For handheld spherical panoramas (when tripod are banned), I use a weight and a laser beam.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

1/28/15 2:28 PM

For photo stitching try Microsoft ICE. It's a free, standalone program, and although it requires JPG images and won't do Raw, it does a really good job. If you keep the angle fairly wide, you can hand pan with lots of overlap, and if you keep the horizon fairly even, it will stitch well, and you can then crop vertically to neaten the edges.

I've don a bunch of these, with dozens of shots stitched well. You can also make beautiful rectilinear wide shots with a shifting lens on a tripod.

Here's one from Ushuwaia, Argentina. Many shots stitched for this adding up to about 7 times the width of a single shot, and it was a little odd at the edges, but in the original, one could read the name and port of call on the blue freighter.

https://app.box.com/s/ripi04wn2n4ve6rfgkcl5gq4w3ggrwlg

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/29/15 12:33 PM

Nice shot. On my trip, all of the National Geographic photogs were drooling over the passengers' cameras with the auto panorama feature.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/29/15 1:58 PM

re: MS ICE

quote:
For photo stitching try Microsoft ICE.

Seems like it went bendy at the edge. I can't see the quality of the stitching because the picture is so tiny.

If you're far away, it helps stitching.

Water is very bad for stitching because it constantly moves. Same goes for a windy day landscape scene.

Even with a special program like autopano pro, you can't really stitch water scenes properly unless it's super calm. If you zoom in 100%, you can usually easily see the joins. And before you say who stares at panoramas at 100%, this is what I used to have on my wall at home (each picture is 5ft long):

Left one is bike-related, Coronado island (San Diego) with the Da Vinci tandem. Right one I think I've posted before in this forum, golden hour Hoover Dam, Lake Mead.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/29/15 2:10 PM

Dunno about the photog

But that is one honkin' pie plate on the red bike...

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

1/29/15 2:43 PM

Sandiway, the link is to a very highly downsampled scan, because the original was 44 megapixels wide, and even in JPG form it came to about 150 megabytes. The curvature is from the sloppy hand-held panning off a ship, not from the program. It is virtually impossible to do a rotating panorama that wide without significant distortion, and you will see, for example, that the water line is quite odd, owing to the way the stitching program handles it.

No doubt there are better programs, as there are better ways of doing this, but I was quite pleased with how well this free program worked for ordinary use. On pans of only a few frames, the results are quite neat. It's a bit dodgy to do, say, a row of brick buildings, but for ordinary purposes, it's pretty good.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

1/31/15 12:04 AM

quote:
But that is one honkin' pie plate on the red bike...

It's a Shimano 11-36 10-speed cassette. Very useful when your legs start to tell you they've had enough half way up the final climb of the day with 160km and 4000m of ascending already ridden and 10km of hill still ahead of you. I always tell people heading for that ride for the first time: "Put on a lower gear than you think you'll need. Much better to have a small gear and not use it than to need it and not have it there."

And have you seen that manufacturers such as Hope and e.Thirteen now make "ratio expanders" - an inner 40t or 42t cassette cog that you can fit by discarding one of the small cogs. Intended for 1x MTB transmissions, but I've wondered whether it would be useful for a loaded touring machine, still enabling a really low bottom gear without needing a triple chainring setup.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/31/15 1:47 PM

Better to have a small gear and not use it...

Yikes, I never even heard of a 36, let alone a 42.

But I entirely agree about the gears. On my road bike I've been riding a 12-27 11 speed with a compact 50/34. That should be enough to handle to ride in Mallorca I'm doing, which has a ton of climbing in the early part but mostly around 6%. But I just ordered a 12-29, for exactly the reason you describe.

Ride profile (scroll down):

http://www.mallorca312.com/recorrido_312

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/31/15 3:31 PM

I just put a new 12-30 [$40.00 PBK] on the Roubaix with the XTR/Pacenti Wheels. Nice of Spesdh to make two DR hangers for the Roubaix SL4s. ;)

The Sora 12-32 9 speed that came with the bike uses the longer hanger. There is a a lot of breathing room with the 12-30 even with a short cage Dura Ace DR.

So with a 34/50 and that 30 it is 30 gear inches I think. Should be good for the steeps, especially with the stiff bottom end...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

2/1/15 10:04 AM

1X setups are all the rage on MTBs...

...but I'm not convinced. The issue is that you have to settle for either a narrow gearing range or huge gearing gaps. The relatively close ratio 1x setup I used on my 'cross bike for a while wasn't bad, but it was just a medium width road cassette (11-25) with a single ring. My 29er has an 11-36, 10 speed cassette and I really notice the gaps off-road, so I can only imagine how awkward it would feel on a road bike.

Obviously, individual preferences vary and if one needs wide gearing for whatever riding one is doing, having it is critical. On my own bikes, I've been biasing the whole gearing range toward the low end by reducing chainring sizes (Nick is way ahead of the curve on that). I find it frustrating that with the exception of Campy's 13-29, nobody is making reasonably wide range cassettes with a 13 tooth top cog, which helps to close up the gaps somewhat. I would rather go with a wider chainring range than a wider cassette. Who knows, perhaps someone will market a 30/50 setup one of these days.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

2/1/15 8:10 PM

The big jump

quote:
The issue is that you have to settle for either a narrow gearing range or huge gearing gaps.

Absolutely! I'm a bit mystified by all the recommendations you see for cassettes without the 16t and with 12-15% jumps (and greater) between cogs. That works on the "big" end (e.g. 23 to 26) because you're obviously in steep terrain and "optimal cadence" has a lot less meaning, but having to jump 10-15 rpm when you shift is sub-optimal IMO.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/1/15 11:10 PM

quote:
Who knows, perhaps someone will market a 30/50 setup one of these days

One of our friends who we did some riding with while on holiday had just acquired himself a new Lynskey Sportive with 30/46 chainrings and a 12-30 cassette (10 speed). He seemed pretty happy with that setup - said that he had no complaints about the changing between the two chainrings. The crank is a Velo-Orange with their 30/46 rings. Middleburn also make a matched pair of 30/46 chainrings in 94BCD.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/2/15 8:57 AM

On the 'cross bike...

...I'm now running a 24x39 with the aforementioned 11-25 cassette, which provides a pretty similar range to what your friend has. The crank was originally a 30x39x52 FSA Gossamer triple, but it now has a bashguard on the outside and the smaller inner ring. It shifts great with a SRAM XO front derailleur and Campy lever. In my experience, using MTB front derailleurs produces much better shifting with smaller ring road setups, as they're optimized for small rings. SRAM even makes multiple versions of their front derailleurs that are optimized for specific chainring combinations.

Reply to topic    

dddd

2/2/15 4:35 PM

I have road bikes with 5, 6 and 7-speed freewheels that have 13-15-17-20t cogs in them, and really can't find much to complain about even when riding at the limit.

I recognize the luxury of doing hard climbs on my Orbea with it's 12-25t 10-speed cassette, but not having those tight ratios seems like a minor quibble outside of actual racing.

I think that one can readily adapt to the demands of wider ratios by occasionally getting out of the saddle in order to maintain cadence before downshifting, at least that's what I tend to do. I set my bikes up with a relatively forward saddle positioning, so the "heave" to a standing position is pretty effortless.

I rode 2hrs this morning with a 7-speed, all-odd-numbers freewheel and didn't miss the tight ratios at all. In fact, I have often found that having to shift among any pairs of cogs with only 1-tooth difference can be downright annoying, but this is hilly riding that I'm talking about because here it is hilly almost everywhere along a ride.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

2/2/15 8:07 PM

Flat land

quote:
not having those tight ratios seems like a minor quibble outside of actual racing

I think if you did a lot of riding on flat roads you would feel differently. If you're going to ride a few hours in the same gear you want the next one to be close if the wind picks up a little (head or tail wind).

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/2/15 11:07 PM

quote:
I'm a bit mystified by all the recommendations you see for cassettes without the 16t and with 12-15% jumps (and greater) between cogs.

I'm the opposite. Outside of actual road racing, if I'm on a bike with a close ratio cassette, I find myself usually shifting across two cogs at once to get to the next gear that I want. I sometimes take the bike with the Rohloff hub on on some of the bunch training rides, and the ~13.5% difference between adjacent gears doesn't leave me feeling that I need gears in between what's available.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/3/15 6:33 AM

As I said...

...individual preferences vary. I really like close ratio gearing and don't like big gaps. It doesn't surprise me that others don't feel the same way. Obviously, we should all use whatever we're comfortable with.

Reply to topic    

dddd

2/3/15 1:44 PM

"I think if you did a lot of riding on flat roads you would feel differently. If you're going to ride a few hours in the same gear you want the next one to be close if the wind picks up a little (head or tail wind)."

Yeah, I can dig it, especially since I also wouldn't want to wear out my ~two flatlands cogs too fast.

Here though, I like to have a stack of cogs that lets me stay in the big ring almost all of the time without having to stay in the fully-crossed big-big combo too much.

Not that big-big is any kind of problem after I've adjusted my chainline appropriately (can choose bb length with these older bikes!), and when using my narrower-than-eight-speed cogsets.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/3/15 3:28 PM

non-flatlander

>> I think if you did a lot of riding on flat roads you would feel differently. If you're going to ride a few hours in the same gear you want the next one to be close if the wind picks up a little (head or tail wind). <<

About the only time I ride even a few minutes in the same gear is on the computrainer, nothing is flat here for very long. FWIW, I don't mind gaps and in fact I love the 12-32 10 speed on my D2R2 bike. People talk about the magic 16, I don't know if my cassettes have a 16 or not without checking, and usually I don't even know what cog I'm on (except the small or large). As Brian says, it's all personal preference. But that doesn't mean we can't have endless discussions about it :)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -