Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Snowmaggedon II
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bboston75

1/26/15 3:02 PM

Snowmaggedon II

Too bad I don't have a fat bike, but I should get to use my Pocket Rockets in PA for the first time on Wednesday.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/15 4:08 PM

Saw two seniors, a Mr/Mrs. presumably on Ti Fat bike$ while out yesterday. Hard not to lu$t after $uch $weet hardware. ;)

My city trekker winter ride is pretty much completed now that I built and popped on the XTR Pacenti Disc wheelset.
Looking forward to seeing iof the Ice Tech Rotors offer any improvement over Avid G2s. Not that I would ride it in the snow, not that we see my here...

I pulled off the old busted up fenders. Any suggestions on fenders? Was thinking race blades now that the bike is stylin pretty much, but read a lot of breakage reports.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

1/26/15 4:45 PM

I run Planet Bike full fenders on the Dirty Disco. No problems with breakage.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/15 5:06 PM

That is what I just pulled off. They did hold up well too. But I snapped of the nose of the front. And some tape on the rear where I had to make a window for the brake stay on something I had them on. I also was hoping to get away from the brace end with the plastic caps hanging out all over the place.

I almost bought a new set Saturday for 39.99 at the LBS here.
Maybe I will just go back and get them.

I have a set of the Planet Bike ones that clamp on the stays that where on the TCX...

Just honestly was thinking maybe something a little more sexy on this with the Dura Ace and XTR/Pacenti... yada yada.... touch of vanity etc etc...

Andy M-S

1/26/15 6:43 PM

Fenders?

Velo Orange is now selling its "hammered" aluminum fenders in black. Alternatively, Portland Bike Works has some very nice fenders. Looks like they come in gray now (https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/full-metal-fenders-city). They used to have a blue tone that I didn't like. Very nice looking, IMO.

Sparky

1/26/15 7:02 PM

Portland Bike Works = 120 space bucks = no friggen chance.

The Velo look possible @ 65.00, I wish they had the black hammered in 35mm.

The Planet Bike ones that clamp are not going to fit, I gave that a quickie fit....

Last edited by Sparky on 1/26/15 7:25 PM; edited 1 time in total

greglepore

1/26/15 7:18 PM

Funny right now if you look at the bands on radar, Philly/Lehigh Valley getting nothing, Central Pa and NE getting hammered. We'll see.

April

1/26/15 8:58 PM

Really strange this morning commute, saw a guy struggling to keep his xc skis/poles among the commuters in the subway!

I mean, it's a bit early this AM!

Tomorrow will be a different matter. I'm kind of bummed that I don't have my x-c skis in the city.

In the back of my mind, I have another worry. I didn't drain the water off pipes of the house in Westchester as I kept telling myself I should do. (it's too much of a hassle to do that every week). But if the power goes out, as it's a real possibility with the forecast high wind, I'm going to have a problem with frozen pipes in an un-heated house... :(

With the road condition and lack of public transport, I can't get back there. So, I'm safe from being stranded in a frozen house, but the house is at risk of frozen pipes.

dan emery

1/26/15 9:08 PM

Nice week coming up

We're supposed to get 18-24" with blizzard conditions, then more snow Friday, then -13F early next week. I'll at least do some snowshoeing, but I also just bought Smelly's Gran Fondo pack.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/27/15 6:54 AM

New York City dodged a bullet. In Brooklyn this morning, I think we have about 4 to 6 inches of fluff. Travel ban has been lifted. Mass transit is still down. My office is closed. I'm well stocked with wine and cheese, so we're good . . .

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/27/15 7:18 AM

No dodging here

We're right in the middle of the blizzard. Now they say 15-20" here. It's windy as hell, no visibility. Fortunately it's light snow, not sticking to the trees. I think most of the state is closed. I was out a bit with the dogs, will put down snowshoe tracks for them later, shovel, rake the roof etc. Write a brief remotely. I think some stuff may be closed tomorrow as well. On Friday we may get another 6-10". Then, as I said, well below zero. Should be great snowshoeing by the weekend.

And now, for the ever popular Threahold Intervals HD!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/15 1:05 PM

Ahh... Memories of NJ and having to shovel a dog spot and path to it outside the back door.

Sine 2002 between TN and now OR, I have handled snow falls by sweeping the path to the car. I used to love the workout of shoveling deep snow.

Send me a round trip ticket and I will do the task for ya!

JohnC

1/28/15 9:34 AM

We dodged the worst of it here in Central Connecticut. I mean, it's not trivial at about 15 inches, but places 30 miles to the east, where the heavy snow bands set up and just stalled all day, got well over 30 inches. So I feel a little lucky.

My favorite media moment of the storm in NYC was on The Daily Show last night. They played the clip of Mayor DiBlasio being asked at a press conference whether food delivery bicycles would be exempt from the travel ban. He replied, "A food delivery bicycle is not an emergency vehicle."

To which Jon Stewart replied, "BullSH*T. The Mayor has obviously never been stoned at midnight without a ready source of crab Rangoon."

I love New York.

dan emery

1/31/15 7:10 AM

May take you up on that Spark

Not really, I enjoy the snow chores too - takes me back to when I was a kid in Bufffalo making $ shoveling snow door to door. Here I shovel porch & stairs, path to gate, keep the gates clear and in front of the garage. Driveway is too big to even snowblow, so that gets plowed thankfully. Also snowshoe paths for the dogs around the yard and rake the roof. Just got done doing all that, again.

We got about 2 feet Tuesday, about 10" yesterday, supposed to get another 8-12" Monday. Plus it's now windy. Yee-ha!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/31/15 11:01 AM

"2 feet Tuesday, about 10" yesterday"

How about a pic, I bet it is beautiful...

dan emery

1/31/15 12:09 PM

Pics

A couple iPad shots:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=fb3b5ee4b807f7dd&sid=1ActGblq5bsWHS

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/31/15 12:28 PM

Always found snowscapes a beautiful site. Even just looking down a city street. Trees bowing down like a tunnel. Before civilization starts dirtying it all up and piling it to the side...

Dave B

2/1/15 8:50 AM

quote:
Always found snowscapes a beautiful site.

Well, viewing them from behind a snow shovel or snow blower tends to reduce their appeal.

Oh, and it's "beautiful sight " assuming you are looking at them, not as a place or location.

dan emery

2/1/15 10:07 AM

More pics

A few shots from snowshoeing this am.

David, looks like skating on the river is over for awhile :)

My favorite shot is Kit Kat, an inspiration at nearly 14 (she's actually bounding up over a low wall, not clear from the pic).

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=d21a2cba00f0fb95&sid=1ActGblq5bsWHh

And 8-12" tomorrow.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/1/15 10:25 AM

It looks like we've got another foot coming tomorrow...

...to add to the 2' we already have. Looks like I'll be working from home again, since the storm is going to hit during the morning commute.

It's time to build the DIY "Roof Razor" I've been planning for a while:
http://www.minnsnowta.com/

Reply to topic    

April

2/1/15 6:38 PM

Same here.

Although we didn't get the amount from last storm, the new storm hit right at the time of the commute... So working from home is a safer bet.

April

2/2/15 1:40 PM

I'm beginning to see the view point of those who don't ski..

After last weeks big prediction that skirted by to our east, today's is a non-event of "just" 8+"! (and it's still not letting up yet)

It's been snowing all morning. It's been piling up on the deck. The plow came once mid-morning. But the plowed path had filled back in now. It's gray outside, like evening, even though it's only mid-afternoon. The snow looked pretty in the morning, but after 6 hrs of it going non-stop, it's started to look boring and depressing.

I can think of the snow in skiing terms. But it's still quite a drag for getting in the way of other daily activities such as going to the doctor. I'm fortunate I can work from home. People who really had to get their work done on site will have to fight all that stuff to get out of their house.

The problem is, down here in the lower Hudson Valley, municipalities aren't setup to deal with constant barrage of snow and freezing rain. So roads aren't cleared in time. A lot of stuff closes on snowy days because their staff can't get in.

If I were not a skier, the thought of moving to Florida would probably look pretty appealing right about now. And we're only half way through the winter!

Pat Clancy

2/2/15 2:14 PM

The trouble with Florida...

After living there a few years you'll get a day when the temperature has "dropped" to 65 degrees and you'll feel the need to put on a heavy winter coat. Stay up here in the north where when you get that first 55 degree day in March, you'll be out in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Sparky

2/2/15 3:25 PM

"A few shots from snowshoeing this am. "

Fooking beautiful!

JohnC

2/3/15 12:01 PM

We got another foot yesterday. Temp in the mid-teens all day, very windy, snow changed to sleet then back to snow. It weren't a nice day to be out. The stuff is knee-deep in my yard. Total snowfall at my house from 3 storms in 6 days totalled about 30 inches, but it was light and fluffy, so the pack is compressed to more like 20 inches.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -