Nick Payne

1/2/15 1:24 PM

The rider walked away from this almost unscathed

Just a few scratches and bruises. Happened at Byron Bay on the NSW north coast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLSgne_TWQ&hd=1

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/15 2:35 PM

I have actually seen similar happen, at a lower speed thank goodness. maybe 15 MPH just pedaling up to speed from a ladida social side by side.

Well, let me correct that statement. Heard 'thwack' behind me after pedaling away from the guy I was just side by side riding with. Turned to see him just hitting the ground after the arsOVAtea-kettle.

20 feet from him the front wheel with one red fork blade spinning still, the rest of the fork and bike in a few pieces near by. I had just rode by what his wheel picked up and being so far off the line though nothing of it. A metal truck hub cab cover clip it turned out. After it striped a few spokes out of his front wheel and slid up to a nipple while across the back or the fork it just snapped the fork right at the rim level. [The thwack I heard presumably]

What it did to the headtube and top and down frame tubes and junctions was not pretty either.

Amazing, beyond a totaled Calfee, he was just bounced and bruised fairly well thankfully.

It was in the first 2-3 miles of a group ride. One of the most cautious and deliberate ones I have been on for about an hour after. ;)

Calfee fixed it and him up for little moneys and I recall being impressed totally by that at the time.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Tom Price

1/2/15 4:32 PM

Wow

They were hauling along at a good clip. Amazing bike handling by the riders behind.

Sparky

1/2/15 4:51 PM

"Amazing bike handling by the riders behind."

Instinct compiled with experience definitely comes into play, and pays off...

I often I give credit to getting out of close calls from the years I spent at full throttle pumping the clutch for laps and laps of motocross circuits...

I lost count of the 'almosts' and times I was like a flag flapping from the handlebars and somehow stayed on. You are not off until you are off, and still racing until then. Like rodeo I suspect in that regard. ;)

How many time have we seen crazy good handlebar skills on televised stages among the 'almosts'. I love that sheit! But generally I hate watching the agony of defeat VIDs, especially bike ones!

PLee

1/4/15 8:19 AM

That guy who swerved around him and popped up onto the sidewalk is truly impressive!

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/4/15 8:52 AM

Indeed!

Reply to topic    

April

1/4/15 1:18 PM

I'm glad the guy was ok.

But, why was he going through (or led through) that pile of debris in the first place? (Video look to be from a lead bike?)

Sparky

1/4/15 1:24 PM

"ed through) that pile of debris"

Same reason too many times I hear the guy in front of me hitting what I may/do hit next instead of a call out having come.

You'd think Pros would be more astute at it granted.

Where the riders in the VID Pros ?

Boy, I miss my NJ bike Bros, we rode close pace all the time and I don't recall ever a non call out.

KerryIrons

1/4/15 8:31 PM

Shout out

quote:
hear the guy in front of me hitting what I may/do hit next instead of a call out

Agree. I'm amazed at the fraction of riders to whom this is a foreign concept. Likewise people who don't call out because they just never seem to see the hazards before they hit them. They seem to get a lot of flats, but that is not punishment enough.

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/4/15 11:22 PM

And did y'all catch the physics of the rider's bike going up into the air?

Some kind of vertical energy exchange between bike and rider maybe?

And that following rider's bike, seems the bike's maker could make a convincing claim of "responsive handling".

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/10/15 10:06 PM

Where was the camera mounted?

Hmm. Was the camera mounted on another bike with the camera pointing to the rear or was it a motorized vehicle?

The camera bike/motor could have obscured the forward view of the rider who picked up the debris that caused the endo. Lucky to be alive.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

April

1/10/15 11:28 PM

quote:
The camera bike/motor could have obscured the forward view of the rider who picked up the debris that caused the endo.

That's what it looks like.

But the question is, why was the lead bike (camera bike) not giving a wide berth of that debris.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/11/15 6:35 AM

The camera appears to mounted to the seat post, which is very common. It in no way blocked the view of the guy who crashed. In fact the guy who crashed was well to the left (video view).

I felt the guy who crashed must have been on another wheel or his one was in the wind. I also feel the crash was his fault. We follow closely and do enjoy the shout outs but ultimately it is the rider's fault if he hit something and crashed.

We have to be attentive and count on ourselves first to be safe.

They were moving on. Good pace.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -