HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Scicon Aerotech hard case

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

11/26/14 1:39 PM

Scicon Aerotech hard case

Anyone used this? I'm thinking of upgrading my old Ironcase (which has its issues) and in connection with the Mallorca event, I can get a decent discount on a Scicon (still pricey). Looks good and has good reviews.

I'd really like to take the RS and I'd really like not to mess it up!

TIA

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/28/14 8:41 AM

I strongly suggest one of these...

http://www.triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php

UPDATE: I see that they now have a compact model for a single bike. My comments below pertain to our experience with a standard case, but some would still be applicable to the compact case.

Do you ever travel with more than one bike or do you want lots of room in your case for extra safety of your "baby"?

The difference between their standard single and double cases is the internal layout. I converted ours (which I bought used on Craigslist for $150) from a single to a double with inexpensive hardware from the manufacturer. They even supplied me with upgraded latches at no cost (the original latches they used were not very durable, but the new ones are great). We sold our two single cases and have never looked back. We've never had any bike damage using this case. If I ever wanted to, I could convert the case back to a single in a few minutes.

While the cases aren't cheap (they're still a lot less than the Scicon), two bikes fly for the same price as one, so you recoup the difference in cost very quickly at $100 - $200 (or more) saved per trip. Also, dealing with one case (particularly one that is as stable as these - 4 wheels spaced widely enough to be truly self-supporting) is much easier in airports, rental vehicles and hotel rooms. When the case is empty, the top nests in the bottom, making it a much much smaller package.

In contrast, single "clamshell" style cases are the same size, empty or full. If they use wheels on the long edge (like the Scicon case), they're unstable and fall over on uneven surfaces (ramps, paving seams or cracks, bricks/cobbles) and get blown over in wind. If they use wheels on the end in "lay down" fashion, they're a hassle in revolving doors and have to be carried though many normal doorways. Also, any case that requires you to lift one end while rolling it is a major hassle when you're dealing with other bags. As with other luggage, four wheels are better than two.

Linda and I routinely use our case for two bikes, our helmets, a pump, hydration packs, tools, plus chain lube and other items which you cannot have in a carry-on. If you're only bringing one bike, you have room for spare wheels and extra clothing or whatever. If you're nervous, you can add a bunch of extra padding instead.

The only caveat is that the case will not hold two mountain bikes completely; we had to put our front wheels in a separate box, but that flew as regular luggage.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/28/14 5:36 PM

Thanks Brian

That looks interesting. I don't need to take 2 bikes, and with the discount on the Scicon the prices are pretty close. I think the as Scicon would roll pretty well as configured. Anyway, I'll ponder the choice.

I've used the Trico Ironcase many times, and it packs the bike pretty well, but rolls like crap unless you put it in an airport luggage cart. :)

Reply to topic    

Craig

11/29/14 12:05 AM

The Scicon case is pretty good. A couple of things: because it's such a messed up shape and really only sits well if upright you'll find the baggage destroyers won't put it on the bottom of a stack of luggage, and the messed up shape does a really good job of holding all your bike its safely and securely, especially the bike's wheels, so if you're travelling with nicer wheels the case is a good investment.

It's nice that you can leave your derailleur on and the bike hangs from the top of the inside of the case so as long as it's kept upright your chainrings won't take a beating.

It does roll really well, you can drive it through the airport very easily.

The bad: you'll want a second set of quick releases, or at least the knob end because technically it's on the outside of the box and could get lost. I've never known anyone to lose this bit but it's possible. And I've seen one situation where one of the case wheels was punched through the bottom of the case. My guess is the baggage destroyers dropped it hard and it landed directly on the one wheel and it pushed through the shell. Again, this isn't normal, the case is pretty sturdy, but it can happen. We rebuilt the corner of the case with fiberglass and it worked great for years afterwards. If you were the paranoid type you might pop off the wheels and lay in a couple layers of fiberglass and then reattach the wheels. It's an expensive case and about as good as it gets in my humble opinion, it probably won't break, but I'd take the time to reinforce them, ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure... It's possible Scicon has beefed up the cases since I've dealt with them, I was a retailer of them in 2005 or so. Sold at least a dozen of them, maybe more, this was the only one that broke/failed in any way and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the fault of the case.

Anyway, it's a really great case. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/29/14 1:07 PM

I know what you mean, Dan

The Trico is a wheels-on-the-end, "dragger" type of case that can be a real pain, as you mentioned. IIRC, one of our single cases was like that. The other was a Performance/Nashbar Team case that had 4 wheels on the log side, but the casters in the front didn't swivel, so you had to lift or slide the front to turn it. What a dumb design choice! Otherwise, it worked pretty well and was nice for the money.

With the extra-stable Tri-All3 case, I can push two, 4-wheel upright bags with one hand while pulling the bike case with the other. It really makes dealing with airports much easier.

The one advantage I can see with this case for your purposes is that if you wany to carry extra gear or wheels, you can. The Scicon looks really nice, but with the fitted nature of the design you're limited as to what you can carry in it.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -