HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Middleburn cranks

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

11/22/14 6:14 PM

Middleburn cranks

I bought a pair of these for one of my touring bikes, and have been quite favorably impressed. They're made in the UK, are available in multiple lengths, and use a separate spider that bolts to the back of the RH crankarm. You can get four- or five-arm spiders for most bolt circles (94, 104, 110, 130), or you can use (as I have on this crank) their own chainrings, where the small chainring acts as the spider and the large chainring mounts to it. And in spite of being quite light - I weighed these at 558g including the 42t and 29t chainrings - they're pretty stiff: I don't see any wander of the chainrings at all when riding out of the saddle.

These are Middleburn RS7 cranks, and when mounted on a Phil Wood 103mm square taper BB, give me a pretty perfect 45mm chainline for the 135mm OLD rear hub on the tourer.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/22/14 7:36 PM

I've been waiting...

...for them to come out with the external BB crank that they promised a couple of years ago. I love the idea of interchangeable spiders so I can use MTB gearing on a road crank. So far, nothing.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

11/22/14 8:17 PM

They do make an external BB crank called the RS8, but for MTB rather than road, so presumably the chainline would be too wide: http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_RS8XTYPE-041/MiddleBurn-RS8-X-Type-External-Crank-Arms-_-Spider-68_73mm.html . The RS7 cranks I have are also for MTB, but as it's square taper I could get the chainline I wanted by using a 103mm BB rather than the 113mm they recommend for MTB use.

For an external BB road crank that can take small chainrings, the Sugino OX801D is probably your best bet...

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/23/14 3:32 AM

Doesn't the bump out in the middle rub your shoe?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

11/23/14 1:59 PM

That's just a bit of an optical illusion. Here's a shot showing the profile of the cranks:

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -