HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Toyota Matrix/Vibe

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sanrensho

9/22/14 12:24 PM

Toyota Matrix/Vibe

Have any TTFers owned a Toyota Matrix/Vibe?

Thinking of buying an 07-09 Matrix to replace our 99 Legacy wagon. Fuel econ will be considerably better but we'd be giving up almost 40% in cargo room (occasional camping/road trip, chucking my 50cm road bike in the back w/front wheel removed).

I am hoping to make up for that with a combination of large roof box and hidden hitch/bike carrier. I've never used a roof bike carrier before but my impressions are not great. (I'm not tall either.)

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

9/22/14 12:44 PM

I hadn't thought of this, but a flat hitch carrier (cargo) and roof bike carrier might be another way to go?

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Pro-Series/63155.html

Reply to topic    

JohnC

9/22/14 1:31 PM

Sounds like you're intimidated a bit at the thought of the bike on a roof rack, so you probably ought to go for the back one. I don't know that care, but I've used both hitch racks and trunk racks (Saris Bones) on a variety of cars (vans, hatchbacks, notchbacks) and they all worked fine for me. I especially like the Bones because it folds up nicely for storage when you get where you're going.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

9/22/14 1:55 PM

Due to low clearances in our underground garage, I'm going to have to ditch the roof bike carrier idea. I'll put a cargo box or bag on the top. Hitch and bike rack on the back.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/14 3:42 PM

I have a 2 bike hitch rack on my Del Sol. It has loops for the tire/wheels. So no dangling carbon bikes from the top tubes. Something that can void the warranty on some bikes, I forget which. The loops fold up and I pop it off and stick it in the truck at club ride meets so out of site/mind. It takes less than a minute to take it off or put it on.

If you'd like some pictures, be happy to put some in the thread.

It looks almost identical to this:

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/22/14 3:43 PM

That is a good hitch design. I have seen a number of bikes and cars ruined by roof top carriers. I use one on occasion on my Tahoe, talk about a climb.

Sparky

9/22/14 3:45 PM

The Del Sol has such a low roof too. I just never liked the idea myself.

Almost a joke, but the max tongue weight on the Del Sol hitch is 150lb. Plenty for two bikes and the carrier which is about 25 lb IIRC. Nashbar, where I got that pic has it on sale for $129.00. I think I paid 65.00 barely used. It has worked so well, I would happily pay $129.00 for one.

Last edited by Sparky on 9/22/14 3:59 PM; edited 1 time in total

Dave B

9/22/14 3:55 PM

CRV

Have you considered a Honda CRV? My 2013 gets about 32 mpg on the highway and about 28 overall and I can carry one or two bikes internally with one or both of the rear seats folded.

I have a hitch rack similar to the one Sparky showed and it works very well. The CRV carries it when I have a big bundle of luggage and two bikes for week long bike trips.

sanrensho

9/22/14 4:56 PM

Would love the space of a CRV (or another Legacy), but the fueleconomy.gov shows that the fuel consumption would be barely improved over what I have now.

Sparky, yes I am looking at tray/bottom carriers due to carbon frame. I've been advised on another board to just go Class 3 on the hitch, as that person bent a Class I hitch with just a bike rack and 45 lb DH bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/14 6:27 PM

No such think as other than a 1-1/4 receiver for a Del Sol. You can use an adapter. And I did before I got this setup with the 2" one we had.

45lb., ehh? I stood on it and jumped like a crazy fool when I first got it mounted, and I am a touch more than 40 lbs.

I guess with a 45lb bike and the 25lb rack, and a few Gs...

Dave B

9/23/14 6:54 AM

quote:
I've been advised on another board to just go Class 3 on the hitch, as that person bent a Class I hitch with just a bike rack and 45 lb DH bike.

First, no one makes other than a 1-1/4" receiver Class I hitch for most cars in the Vibe/Matrix range.

Whoever reported bending a Class I hitch with any realistic bike load obviously had it installed incorrectly as the published tongue weight limit is 200 pounds and most will far exceed that.

I've had Class I hitches on various cars and small SUVs since 1992 carrying two bikes for thousands of miles without the slightest problem. I would consider a Class 3 hitch (and had a car or SUV for which one was available) if I routinely carried 4 bikes or a pair of tandems but for anything less, a Class I is plenty.

Matthew Currie

9/23/14 7:33 AM

I don't have one of these vehicles, as neither my wife nor I gets along with the seats, but I thought seriously about it, as it is a nice package. My stepson had one for a long time, and found it quite good. His was a Vibe, bought with something like 145 thousand miles on it, and it served him well, though he later bought a Subaru instead.

I have used a rooftop carrier (Thule box) on various vehicles at various times, and found it works well, The capacity is quite large and it does not seem to influence driving much, though most of that use has been on larger vehicles. A lot of what you carry will likely be more bulky than heavy, so if you put all that stuff up top, I doubt weight will be a big issue. You can mount it slightly off center, so it's easier to reach, and access most of it easily when standing on the door sills.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

9/23/14 11:46 AM

We would probably use the rooftop carrier for sleeping bags, tents, clothing, etc. A roof cargo bag would also do nicely I think.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -