Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

9/9/14 11:24 AM

Fat Chance is back

https://www.facebook.com/fatchancebicycles

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/9/14 11:42 AM

As a CHN bike and parts flipper, or... I wonder...

dan emery

9/9/14 12:22 PM

Cool

I would guess he'll be building bikes. I have an '83 Fat Chance. Back then, Christopher Igleheart (now a notable builder himself) owned Portland (Maine) Bicycle Exchange, Chance was a friend of his and PBX sold a lot of Fat Chances. Chance built gorgeous custom road frames before starting Fat City. I remember in maybe '83 being on a small group MB ride where everyone was on Fats except Chance himself who rode a shop Univega.

Some historical trivia. I believe Chance trained at Witcomb(?) in England with Sachs, Weigle or whoever it was. The noted welder Gary Helfrich got his bike start tig welding for Fat City. Indy Fab emerged from the demise of Fat City in Somerville. Chance also associated with Ben Serotta for awhile while both were having problems staying afloat. The Yo Eddy "hippy pirate" graphics were done by Mike P, a Portland kid and ex-pro mtn biker with whom I've ridden over the years and who now works at Belmont Wheelworks. Mike also did the Bikeman graphics.

Rick tipped me off to this earlier today and I sent Chance an email with a shot of an ~85 Fat Chance I saw at D2R2 (I posted a link to this shot and others in another thread).

Anyway, he's a bike guy and we'll see what happens, but I wish him luck.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/9/14 1:35 PM

I almost had one, but it was too small. But I convinced myself the 90s Steel Stumpjumper frame I found which fits very well is as good. I will never really know not having ridden one.

When I called Spesh support to eek out a free CG-R seatpost for the Roubaix I told the guy I had the Steel Stumpjumper as well as few other Spesh bikes. He said he had one he wished he had never sold. LOL

I won't either...

dddd

9/9/14 2:14 PM

I guess this news story takes the lid off of my "sworn to secrecy" oath in earlier discussions I had with Auburn Bike Co's owner.
They're heading off to Interbike tonight, trying to round up a national team for future product launches.

It is still uncertain who the builder(s) will be, but this will of course be a high-end offering with loyal fans likely expecting domestic production, in at least both steel and titanium.

Although at this time I'm not invested in this, I'm wishing them well.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

9/11/14 12:28 PM

Direct from the source @ Interbike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV7l2qFsEYM

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/11/14 12:40 PM

Well, I guess they need to target the hipster market.
The Baby Boomer hipsters, they exist, right? ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -