Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

GPS good, GPS + cue sheet BETTER!
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

8/30/14 5:47 AM

Couple things

Poking around the manual, I notice that, as Dan said, you can lower the backlight brightness, as well as the timeout. You tap the power button and that opens the setting. I'll experiment with that.

There is also an auto power down function which powers down after 15 minutes of "inactivity." I'm not sure what constitutes "inactivity" but I've had it go into this mode while riding. I think it also shut off at a rest area where I thought it would just pause. So I may want to shut this feature off on extended rides.

As to battery life in general, I rode a century before D2R2, and the battery life was consistent with what I got at D2R2, so I guess with those settings, for that use, that's what I get. I'll see how lower backlight works. Also perhaps as Brian said battery life may increase with more cycles. I don't know if following a downloaded course uses more juice that just riding around.

I saw that they do sell an external batter pack, for about $90. There is a mention of adding 20 hours to an 810, but that's a little vague.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

8/31/14 10:55 AM

I've been considering a bike GPS unit for a while and can state that this thread has convinced me to wait.

Which is sad, as I know that Garmin has been making GPS units for decades, mostly for the auto market and that of the 2 auto units I own, I've always thought the software implemantation was mediocre.

Seems they haven't figured out the bike software yet either and I know it takes Garmin a LONG time to fix stuff.

SB

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/31/14 12:12 PM

Expectations

I like mine overall and am glad I got it. It certainly is not perfect, but I don't expect perfection. A lot of the issues mentioned deal with following downloaded course files, which are made by guys like you or me, not by Garmin, and may be flaky to some extent. I went on a 4 hour ride today just using it to show me where I was and what streets were coming (I was figuring out the course of a ride coming up) and it made no mistakes and was very helpful. It also seemed to use up a bit less battery life than following a downloaded course.

Reply to topic    

April

8/31/14 3:46 PM

Garmin is actually fighting an uphill battle.

For figuring out where I am, my smartphone work just as well. And with its larger screen (can't believe I said that, "large" and "phone screen) usually don't appear in the same sentance), it actually works better than the itsy-bitzy Garmin unit screen. The user interface is friendlier too

Where the Garmin wins, is turn-by-turn navigation. That is, all the problem mentioned notwithstanding. That's why I am kind of upset that the unit call the turns late. Losing that key functionality, it's not much better than using my phone when needed.

The other area the Garmin is supposed to win, is battery life. But it seems Garmin is only marginal, long enough for most rides but not quite for many of the experienced riders need.

So Steve, I understand your position. However, you might have a rather long wait if your recollection of Garmin's past record is any indication

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

8/31/14 4:20 PM

Phones etc

I'm not sure what the "calling turns late" is, I haven't experienced that. Though I've only used it a few times. I don't always hear a ding, but the turn is always visible well in advance glancing at the display.

I did get a notice that ridewithGpS now has a phone app (Android and Apple) and if you subscribe for a year you get a free handlebar bracket for the phone. Don't know what the functionality of that will be, but for now anyway I'm going to focus on learning the GPS better. Though for most of my riding I don't need it anyway.

Reply to topic    

April

8/31/14 6:29 PM

quote:
don't always hear a ding

You don't hear it because sometimes there were no ding!

I noticed quite a few times it didn't make the ding till I'm passed the intersection. Probably less of a proble in Maine when there are no side roads for the next 1/4 miles. But in area with many intersections, no ding means I'm back to looking at the odometer and comparing it with cue sheets. Well, I can do that without The 250 dollar hole in my wallet...

dan emery

8/31/14 6:36 PM

Well

Or you can glance at the display periodically which will tell you exactly where to turn well in advance. Doesn't bother me, but each to their own.

Reply to topic    

April

9/1/14 6:18 AM

quote:
Or you can glance at the display periodically which will tell you exactly where to turn well in advance.

For me, the whole purpose of the Garmin was NOT having to look down as frequently .

For the most part, the tried and true navigation by cue sheet works reasonably well after all. So for the additional $250, I do ask myself what the GGarmin adds. Sadly, not too much as far as for me.

Steve B.

9/1/14 3:18 PM

I would think that one of the primary reasons to own a bar mounted GPS would be it's so-called ability to use pre-conceived maps that are downloaded to the device.

Yes, having a map display and current location from internal maps is also as useful and would have been something I would have used when I was exploring the National Forests around Santa Fe, but any less expensive hand held GPS does that.

The advantage to the bike models is the downloaded maps.

Google does have a huge lead over Garmin in the quality in the maps, but you can't rely on having a cell data connection, which is why the Garmin units with pre-loaded maps and, in theory, much better battery life, is the way to go, as opposed to an iPhone or Android phone.

But if the map software is buggy after years of development and many, many earlier and bug prone versions, and the battery life never seems to live up to the advertisements, then I wonder if Garmin will ever get it right. They are, as I've discovered, very slow at fixing problems.

I'll wait before plunking down $250.

Reply to topic    

April

9/2/14 9:22 AM

quote:
I would think that one of the primary reasons to own a bar mounted GPS would be it's so-called ability to use pre-conceived maps that are downloaded to the device.
you can't rely on having a cell data connection, which is why the Garmin units with pre-loaded maps and, in theory, much better battery life, is the way to go, as opposed to an iPhone or Android phone.

That used to be a huge issue. But cell coverage has improved in leaps and bounces. So for road rides, that's less and less of an issue. In fact, in the long term, Garmin's pre-loaded maps will have more problem with out of date data more than iPhone/Androids lacking cell coverage!

Downloadable routes is indeed easy to do on Garmin. But you can also get apps that will do the same on smartphones. But I wanted voice alert before turns. That eats battery on the phone. Hence my foray into Garmin land.

Better battery life is still true for Garmin. Just a bit borderline when it comes to those who likes to do long rides.

Really, it's only when the voice alert fails frquent enough that I got really pissed with Garmin.

Speaking of nagivation, even my phone's google navigation kind of deserves to be better. It uses a standard 2 mile and 1/4 mile alert. When you're driving in bumper to bumper traffic, 2 mile alert is pretty useless. But when you're flying down a 6 lane expressway at 70mph, 2 mile maybe insufficient time to get into the proper lane to make the exit!

dan emery

9/2/14 10:02 AM

Dinger

Going through the settings on my Garmin, I noticed that the "tones" somehow got turned off, which presumably is why I heard dings before turns on my first ride, but not later. I'll make sure it is turned on and see how reliable the dings are. But I don't mind glancing down anyway (it's a lot quicker than trying to decipher cue sheets).

It's not perfect for sure, but for me I'm not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Last edited by dan emery on 9/2/14 1:47 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/2/14 10:19 AM

When they make them with a little hologram heads up map display, I'm in... ;)

It could have a tire pressure sensor and put up a skull and x-bone if you loose pressure too.

April

9/2/14 10:43 AM

quote:
When they make them with a little hologram heads up map display, I'm in... ;)

Google Glass!

dan emery

9/2/14 4:01 PM

Heads up

Sparky, you might just have something there. When I last shopped for a new car, you could get a "heads up" GPS display for about $5k, and lots of people said "wow, that's cool, just like a fighter pilot!" Or you could get a Garmin suction cup deal for about $200, and put it in the exact same place.

And of of course it is much and cheaper to update the Garmin, but it is totally uncool. So if you can recreate that dynamic for the high end bike market, it could be your ship coming in!

Reply to topic    

April

9/2/14 4:28 PM

It already exist, on skiing goggles.

So it's only a matter of time till it shows up for bike use.

However, the ski crowd hasn't embrace it so far. So it maybe a while before it makes its way to the cycling market.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/3/14 6:06 PM

Just ride at the front and follow the horses. They already know the routes.

Sparky

9/3/14 6:29 PM

My new quest? ;)

More likely it would be traversing horse oysters.

henoch

4/19/15 1:56 PM

Sucess

A bit late to the party here, but I was following this last fall, and bought a Edge 800, but never really had a chance to test out the mapping feature until yesterday.
I was out in PA and decided to map out a nice route and load onto the Garmin, I purposefully didn't write out the directions because I really wanted to see if I could do a ride just by following the GPS, and I have to say that I was very impressed, did a 60 mile loop and it was great, it showed me every turn and got me through the ride with no issues.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -