View posts since last visit

eBay money, spent it
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/16/14 3:16 PM

eBay money, spent it

So I moved a bunch of old parts and school books on fleabay. I turned them into new parts from China, a set of carbon wheels from the only seller with ZERO negative feedback and the same for a carbon bar stem combo.

I figure it was junk that turned into the money and it can't be any worse off than the dusty mess I sold off and never used.

I actually dug around on the net to learn more about the carbon bike bits from China and most reviews are pretty good. I learned we are going around all the marketing and sticker sales and purchasing straight from the maker.

When the products get here, slow boat from China ya know, I will post up a review.

I feel like I am gambling with the "house money" on these purchases.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/16/14 3:30 PM

I'd be more concerned with dental money. Hope you get good 'goods', and not counterfeit level junk.

Looking forward to your report.

Is it better to get carbon parts/rims from mainland or Taiwan I wonder??

ErikS

8/16/14 3:46 PM

Every carbon bit I have ever ridden was made in Asia. All of it. Hell they make more there than anywhere.

With my wrenching background I know what to look for and will inspect items before first use and often after they pass with me.

If you can find a single carbon wheel that is made by American hands, not just the prototype but the actual consumer product I would be shocked.

Zipp, nope, Canecreek of old, nope, Reynolds, hell no, Mavic, nope. Not a one AFAIK.

We shall see, of course. But like I said, I bought it with trash so why not.

Sparky

8/16/14 3:55 PM

Of course, but the US company pays for liability insurance, yes? So they get stuff made to their legal satisfaction.

I am with you. But just as I said, the counterfeiting concerns me on structural parts. But a zero negative feedback seller with a ton of sales shows something. ;)

ErikS

8/16/14 5:22 PM

zero negatives, 1100+ sales most rims and wheels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281244572567?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4467&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI281244572567.N19.S2.M-140.R1.TR1

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=diy-bike&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=281244572567&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

I ordered mine Red hubs, black spokes, red nipples, matte rims. I thought about white spokes until I thought about chain lube getting on them and making a mess.

My bike is black, red, white.

Smunderdog

8/16/14 7:35 PM

Were LEW wheels US made? Their HQ was in Vegas when I lived there and I thought they manufactured there as well...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/16/14 7:37 PM

Mad Fiber too? I think, or now that I think about it...

mag7

8/16/14 11:08 PM

NOX Composites?

Nick Payne

8/17/14 12:38 AM

I'm pretty sure Wound-Up forks are still made in Salt Lake City. The Wound-Up fork I bought a few years back certainly said that it was made there...

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/17/14 2:21 AM

Dug around a bit.

NOX builds wheels in the US, it says nothing about who does their rims. If they were laid up in the US I would suspect they would mention it in the copy. Building wheels says nothing about the components which they use. Hell, I built wheels when I lived in the ROK, using French Rims, American Hubs and Swiss spokes. Does that mean they were made in the ROK. Technically, yes. Marketing copy is all about presenting just part of the story.

Wound Up is made in the US by ACI. It looks like they may even weave their own sheets which is VERY rare. They don't make rims or wheels. They make tubes and that is it.

LEW and Mad Fiber are both gone. I drooled on some LEW wheels at a race in Tucson one time, rode a demo set not long after then was told the price. In 1999, I passed because they were 3 times the price of my bike. Way out of my league. LEW wheels were made in the USA.

dan emery

8/17/14 7:03 AM

Lews

I actually have a pair of Lew Milano tubular wheels. I must have been delusional when I bought them, but buy them I did. Mostly for riding tts. Haven't used them in years. They were kind of annoying as they required valve extensions which were a bit sketchy and rattled like hell in the rim. Eventually got rid of the rattle by wrapping some tape. I figure I am probably the lamest rider ever to own a set of them.

Maybe they'll become collectible. :)

Reply to topic    

mag7

8/17/14 8:42 AM

I am talking to NOX next week and will lift the covers on the "_____ in the USA" claim.
I always thought Carbonframes+Calfee was manufactured in the US.

ErikS

8/17/14 11:08 AM

Let us know what NOX says when posed with the very direct question about where the rims are laid up.

Calfee is made in the US.

I have not seen one in the flesh in about 18 years.

Does anyone lay up carbon rims in the US.

Brian Nystrom

8/17/14 3:24 PM

Erik, I'm a bit skeptical of the weight...

...as that's what carbon tubulars in those depths typically weigh and their 24mm wheels are only 5 grams lighter than that. How they can build clinchers that light and as strong as they claim is beyond me. Hopefully, it's all true and if so, I may buy some rims or wheels from them. I'll be waiting to hear your impressions.

FWIW, I have the same hubs on multiple sets of wheels I've built and they work well. Bikehubstore.com sells them.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/17/14 4:46 PM

Ya, think?

I am skeptical of the weight too but if they are 200 grams heavier they will still be more aero and lighter than my current wheels.

I will weigh them and give a full report when they get here. Other people who have left feedback state they do make the weight claim or are within acceptable limits.

Sparky

8/17/14 5:14 PM

You are already too fast Erik. ;)

When I had the Zipp 404 clinchers, they where 1640 grams or so, 2001-2 IIRC. I will say they felt a lot lighter on the road. They spun up quick and easily. And once over 23-4 MPH it seemed easier to hold the faster speed. Maybe more than a touch. A touch better for aggressive riding, the way the Scott is over the Roubaix, a little. But a little can be enough I guess. ;)

The only Aero wheels I have these days are the Jet front and Deep rear anchors. But again, once moving over 24-5 MPH they seem a touch easier to keep moving.

I don't go that fast much, unless descending probably. Although I went off the front today getting back to the car park and was holding 24-5 for a bit with the HED C2s on a slight falling false flat for a few miles. I should take the HEDs on that same route and see... I was very low on the bike and had a bit of a head wind though... Good bike day, good legs day too. ;)

You have the means to see really how much benefit you will net, with you diligent ride tracking et al. I look forward to seeing what you net.

ErikS

8/17/14 5:49 PM

the heat makes me feel like a slug

My lunch time rides are often have a real feel of around 100F, it is so humid on top of the mid 90F. That makes it hard to compare the difference right now. Of course if I see a 3KPH average over a week of lunch rides then I would have to deduce there was some benefit for me.

Normally I start running in mid September, this year I may delay that. Just to try the wheels over a period of time.

My biggest improvement in average speed has always been associated with weight training FWIW. If you want to go faster, lift. Drop the squat, (well I use a sled).

April

8/17/14 8:12 PM

quote:
I have not seen one in the flesh in about 18 years

Nox or Calfee?

ErikS

8/18/14 12:38 AM

Don't MTB so NOX does not count, Calfee.

greglepore

8/18/14 6:16 AM

you will love your wheels. I have a set of 50mm wide ones on an open mold Chinese frame and mostly love both. The wheels are stout as hell and fast. Not terribly heavy.

Still have a set of early 2000's LEWs as well.

April

8/18/14 7:47 AM

wrong coast

I saw Calfee bike almost every club ride when I lived in California

Here in New York, I see one more like once a month.

Maybe just Carolina thing? After all, Calfee is a small maker. Nowhere near the market share of Trek, or even GGiant

sandiway

8/18/14 10:20 AM

quote:
When the products get here, slow boat from China ya know, I will post up a review.

If you could weigh them, please report here.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/18/14 10:54 AM

I will critically review them when they arrive. Any issues I will highlight and of course I will weigh them.

sanrensho

8/18/14 11:17 AM

Erik, do you know who the actual wheel company is (Yoeleo, Light-Bicycle, etc.)?

Thanks.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/18/14 1:33 PM

I don't. From the looks of things the work is in house. I had request the colors and such, which they then lace up. They ask for that info via messaging.

I went with red hubs, black spokes, red nipples, matte rims. Red skewers.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -