Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Learning to play the Guitar
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/13/14 7:53 PM

"I'm gonna buy him a tube type amp... We live in a solid state free zone."

Nice. But just so you know, along with my 63 Brownface pro and Vibroverb Fender Amps, and a few USA made Peaveys and 3-4 other tube amps.. I have several analog SS amps I would not part with.

Unfortunately, the tubes are made so badly and cheaply these days, feeding them to working amps is crazy expensive. And you need to bring extras. Unless you have expensive NOS US and German tubes that cost so much you won't want to bring the amp out of house or studio probably. ;)

Let me guess, a Blues Jr. ?

But guitar wise:

Some slide work:

Ignore obnoxious intro: Sonny Landreth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9yXgjcqH2E

Derek Trucks, yes son of Allman Bros Drummer Butch. Picked up where Duane left off when he got older. Talent city IMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9rQcb5Kyg

Last edited by Sparky on 8/13/14 10:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Alenhoff

8/13/14 8:32 PM

quote:
"Also played the Hammond organ and Leslie and I am thinking about buying a setup again"

Oh, why stop there? My vintage keys collection:

http://home.comcast.net/~lenhoff/site/?/page/Alan%27s_vintage_keyboard_collection/&PHPSESSID=f4eb861c8665e3aa0956e496e52d02b1

There's no success like excess, IMHO...

Alan

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/13/14 10:35 PM

"Oh, why stop there? My vintage keys collection: "

That is disgusting... but I like it. :)

Andy M-S

8/14/14 3:34 AM

Amps...

I know people who swear by tube amplifiers, but I honestly could never hear that much difference (it may depend on your style).

And here's more heresy--I think the relatively recent Fender Mustang-series SS amps are one of the great deals out there. I can't justify the room for anything huge (or that generates a lot of heat) and the Mustang just does the job for what I want. Except for not having a real reverb tank, it's waaay better than the amps I used in the '70s.

Andy M-S

8/14/14 3:42 AM

Keys

Ever see a Crumar Dynamic Piano? I spent a lot of time replacing wires in one of these in the early '90s. Each key was attached to a wire that rested on one bus bar. Depressing the key moved it to another bus bar, and generated a tone. Much of the circuitry in the DP was devoted to measuring the time between leaving the first bus bar and hitting the second, and translating that it into an attack/volume control signal, so you could play softly, or you could really bang on the keys, and end up with quite a range of sounds.

Unfortunately, the coiled wires that it relied on for each key would break on a regular basis, and I'd need to recreate (and resolder) those. Also, it weighed a ton .

dfcas

8/14/14 11:19 AM

Sparky

We tried the Blues Jr, and every other amp at the local shop. It came down to The Fender deluxe Reverb reissue and a Vox AC15-1. he decided he liked the Vox the best so thats what hes going to get. he likes Queen/Brian may and he played Vox so I suspect thats what pushed him that way. The Blues Jr was not as warm.

Andy- we tried a Mustang modeling amp and he did not like it. Thought it sounded harsh.

dfcas

8/14/14 11:23 AM

Alenhoff

Thats quite a collection you have there. I've never had the pleasure of hearing a 31H Tallboy, but I understand it is the pinnacle of Leslie. The huge cabinet gives merciless bass is what everyone claims.

I've been studying electronics online because it seems if you have one of these Hammond/Leslies, you need to be able to do basic service on them since they are so old.

In real life I am a piano technician, so if you need any parts or tools let me know if I can help.

I also once had a Pianet.

Sparky

8/14/14 11:33 AM

Vox AC15

Heavy sucker for what it is. I suggest what ever model has the Greenback or G12 Alnico Blue [$!].

Or if it has the VOX/Warfendale [GSH-12?] An Emenance Red Fang in the AC15 is awesome. That is what I ran in it. When I traded it off, I kept the Red Fang putting the original Warf back in. I like it even better than the Alnico Blue personally.

I got rid of it because I was not willing consider hauling a 49lb 15 watt amp when I have 50 watt amps that are with in a few lb in weight, VOX are tanks, mostly due to the thick cabinet MDF density in the modern ones. YYMV, but not on the 49lb 15 watt amp. ;)

Nice gift!

BTW: The DRRI is a great amp, if you like having a sound with no midrange. ;) Think Country/bakerfield sounds, just IMO. I lean towards a Silver Face DR, still Point to point without PCB builds, just sounds more analog to me than the current offerings. Yada

dfcas

8/14/14 11:46 AM

He just plays at home, so the weight is not an issue. The plan at this time is to buy a Greenback amp and maybe later buy an Alnoco blue speaker only and see which he likes better. That way you get 2 speakers for the same price as a Ac15 with a blue speaker.

I wish the local shop had the hand wired models to try but alas they don't.

Curiously, he thought the 1-12 version sounded better than the 2-12 version, and I agreed.

Sparky

8/14/14 12:13 PM

I have a Blue and a Red Fang. I like the Red Fang better for a few reasons. And like it better in the AC15 for sure.

Blue=15 watt speaker could get expensive quick.
Red Fang=50 watt speaker and sensitivity like a JBL, so 15 watt amp will hang with 30-40 watt amp. [unless it has a Red Fang or JBL in it] ;)

I always use my Blue in a pair, so the 15 Watt speaker is further from getting tweaked. I would not count on getting another one as cheap as this one, and new it is a very expensive driver. It is currently paired with a G12H-30 in a 50 watt Classic 50 Peavey Classic with two power tubes pulled to keep it at less risk. ;) Also a loud speaker to be sure.

So the greenback will be less loud, in case you care about his neighbors and parents, Not just a little either.

"1-12 version sounded better than the 2-12 version, and I agreed."

I also agree, it is a kinda of solo voiced one trick pony that does it's trick very very well. Again, IMO.

Alenhoff

8/14/14 7:08 PM

quote:
I've never had the pleasure of hearing a 31H Tallboy, but I understand it is the pinnacle of Leslie. The huge cabinet gives merciless bass is what everyone claims.

They're wonderful, if you can live with a Leslie the size of a refrigerator. (Mine's in my basement. Who cares if it's ugly?) The bass is great, but so is the top end, since the treble rotor is closer to ear level when you are in a playing position.

quote:
I've been studying electronics online because it seems if you have one of these Hammond/Leslies, you need to be able to do basic service on them since they are so old.

Hammonds were built to last 100 years or more. They are amazingly durable, reliable instruments. They get dropped off stages, soaked in thunderstorms, and people forget to oil them for 20 years -- and they keep working. Every 30 years or so you ought to re-cap the preamp and maybe replace the upstop and downstop felts. I did that work, and in the last 7 years, I think I've replaced one tube in my Hammond, and had no other service issues. Parts (and service people) are readily available, even though the last B3 was made nearly 40 years ago.

On the other hand, my Vox Continental provides plenty of work for my oscilloscope. But what would I do without being able to play the entire Doors catalog or the solo from House of the Rising Sun? And it looks so cool. ;-)

It's a good time to buy Hammonds and Leslies. Despite the high asking prices you see on eBay (which rarely result in a sale), prices are considerably lower than they were 10 years ago. And, if you're short on space or money, you can buy an M3 spinet (which is a great instrument) for $100 or so in most large U.S. cities. Heck, it was all Booker T. needed in those early Stax days in Memphis...

Alan

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/18/14 8:18 PM

Learning my first song. For my wife's BD I hope to play John Legend's All of me. I have learned the cords, now to get the progression down. My left hand finger tips are pulp.

Sparky

8/18/14 8:30 PM

I was wondering how you where progressing. Good on ya!

ErikS

8/18/14 8:35 PM

I went to a music store today to get a capo to play the song in the correct octave. It already sounds much better.

I find I don't like the sound of a pick on the strings so I strum with my thumb and I am trying to learn some light picking too.

I am learning the song from this kid. She does a great job explaining it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1b4nhvhoQ&feature=share

Sparky

8/18/14 8:37 PM

Correct key? ;)

ErikS

8/18/14 8:45 PM

yeah that.

Keep me straight.

Andy M-S

8/19/14 3:48 AM

Interestingly...

Technically, she's not telling the whole truth about there being no barre chords. Open E and open A (and their respective minors) are the roots of the most important barre chords. Just use a finger instead of a capo and you can play these up and down the neck (yes, you can do this with many other chords, like open C, but it's a lot harder, and most people don't).

ErikS

8/19/14 4:36 AM

There is no way I could do a barre cord yet. My left hand is not that strong.

Andy M-S

8/19/14 6:17 AM

Bet it is.

Actually, I'll bet your hand is plenty strong--it's more a matter of coordinating the fingers. Knowing what I know now, I'd almost be tempted to learn to play open E- and A-based chords without the left pointer finger (others may already do that) so that my hands would adapt more easily to barre chords. If you really think your left pointer lacks strength, exercise it. The sooner you can play barre chords, the sooner the instrument will open up for you.

As a side note, different people make chords in different ways. I was always frustrated because I had large hands, and found it difficult to get all my fingers where I wanted to go. Consequently, when I make an open A chord (for example) I do it my pressing the pad of my middle finger across all three strings that need to be stopped. Yes, it's weird, but it works.

JohnC

8/19/14 9:02 AM

quote:
when I make an open A chord (for example) I do it my pressing the pad of my middle finger across all three strings that need to be stopped. Yes, it's weird, but it works.

Not that unusual. Many players do it with the ring finger -- you have to get the joint to reverse bend a little, and I could never manage it. It gives you a lot more options when barring that chord form.

ErikS

8/19/14 9:42 AM

Big fingers. The open D has my hand all mushed up but I can reach the open C and at with ease. I have a small blood blister on my middle finger. The strings are tough. My low E is a 12g so it is pretty light as it is.

Andy M-S

8/19/14 10:12 AM

Open D

For open D, you could try barring across the treble side with one finger and then poking one in underneath to finish the triangle. Two fingers instead of three. Honest to gods, trying to remember which fingers i put where is well-nigh impossible without a guitar in my hands!

Sparky

8/19/14 10:22 AM

Big hand fingers eh?

look at the mitts on Redd here, I stopped saying how I need this or that regarding frets, neck width etc. after seeing Redd playing with his bear claws on a vintage narrow vintage fret neck.

Check out the gal on Steel, Cindy Cashdollar, the goods. ;) Fretting schmetting, use a slide. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY8AFtlAykA

Last edited by Sparky on 8/26/14 11:19 PM; edited 1 time in total

Cliff

8/26/14 10:46 PM

guitar lessons

Erik,

Don't get frustrated. Your fingers won't hurt for long.

Play what makes you smile. I've been at it forty years and still learn something almost every day. It ain't work if you're having fun.

justinguitar.com :: it's free, good instruction, and his Taz accent is easy on the ears. From "this is a pick/plectrum" to "this is how to play Zep". Works on donations from those who can afford a few bucks.

Find these guys on youtube: Bruce Lindquist, tonedr, privettricker, mytwangyguitar, vanderbilly, Marty Schwartz, and hoodrio. As someone noted, if you dig through the chaff, you can find a good internet tutorial for almost any song you care to learn.

guitartricks.com :: Look for $99/yr specials. Tons of songs in every style, step-by-step tutorials, excellent instructors. Well worth the bucks for a fingerstyle acoustic guy who got drafted into a jazz/blues/rock&roll band.
(Teen at our last gig: "These old guys can rock!")

Down the road... suggestion
Saw Andy's red Ibanez: Sweet, versatile guitar, great tone, inexpensive, but spend a few bucks for pro setup and bridge upgrade. I gig weekly with mine. Weddings to wineries, '40s jazz to AC DC to SRV. I won't be shelling out $2k for that backbreaking Gibson after all.

Enjoy the process.

Cliff (my kids got me a tshirt: "World's Okayest Guitar Player")

Reply to topic    

ErikS

8/27/14 2:13 AM

I found Marty Swartz already and a young girl who goes by foreverfaithful who does fantastic tutorials. Marty is very good at teaching popular licks but she even puts the cord progression on the presentation as she plays.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -