HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

that awkward moment when you realize your mechanic's a quack

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

8/3/14 6:31 PM

that awkward moment when you realize your mechanic's a quack

Not sure what the term for poser bike mechanic is so quack will have to do. Ok, maybe that's harsh but it's more to his attitude than skills.

Picked up my Redline commuter today from a seriously needed tune up. Everything looks good, it shifts well, but the front brake (cantis) was rubbing. No big deal, but it's something I would expect them to take care of since they did a little brake work and it wasn't rubbing before. Dude claimed it was the hub. Huh? You can HEAR it rubbing. You can SEE it rubbing. When I de-coupled the brake and the wheel spun like there was no such thing as friction he made some insanely ridiculous claim that I needed a new fork because the canti brake was applying side pressure and squeezing the hub. I laughed out loud at that one.

Sadly I wasn't comfortable complaining because they also have my Strong held captive waiting for a new crank. But needless to say the ridiculous response to a very minor issue has cost them a repeat customer. Plenty of bike shops to choose from in this town.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/3/14 6:51 PM

Wrench your own.

I don't like being out of bike as long as it takes the shop to get through the list. I buy the parts from the not so LBS when I am out of town or order off of fleabay or amazon for the best prices.

Fleabay has been very good to me this weekend. $350 and counting. On my way to new carbon wheels.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

8/3/14 6:55 PM

"Wrench your own."

I would but I had some tools stolen a few weeks ago. Plus I didn't have things for BB replacement anyway

Reply to topic    

walter

8/3/14 7:10 PM

with those responses

i would remove all my bikes from their work-queue and politely tell the manager why.

take your bikes elsewhere or better yet invest in those missing tools.

Last edited by walter on 8/3/14 7:33 PM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

8/3/14 7:18 PM

I would first wonder what was the status of the particular dude within the shop, and as Walter suggested I would then have a nice, private conversation with the mgr, if that could be conveniently made to happen.

Trick might be to find out when the mgr is accessible at a time when the shop is quiet, and if appropriate, let the mgr know that you have received good service in the past. Then convey that you care about the shop and their employees and want to be sure that the dude has sufficient training to work on customer's brakes.

I came into a shop last year when my wrist was still broken, because my front canti brakes had a slipping cable and I needed a quick fix since I could only use the front brake lever.
The kid that promptly did the work was somewhat visibly awkward, and tightened the wrong one of two cable anchors at the front caliper, so the straddle cable continued to slip. On the plus side, I wasn't charged.
I let the shop owner know the next time I was in the area, turns out it was his son who did the work but was learning fast apparently.

Last edited by dddd on 8/3/14 7:35 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/3/14 7:30 PM

Agree with Walter and dddd

That is beyond the pale. You can knock a canti out of adjustment in 5 seconds and get it back in about the same time. A guy that doesn't know that is not a mechanic. I'm lucky as I've had the same LBS (including a split-off) since 1980.

Reply to topic    

dddd

8/3/14 7:43 PM

There are also a few possible "tricky" reasons that a canti caliper can persistently go off center, even for instance if the wheel isn't turning, one pad can wedge and stick against the rim!

Also, if the pivot bolts got tightened, not uncommon for the end of the pivot stud to mushroom slightly, binding the pivot!
And then there's the pad-anchor sliding eyebolts and their oft-challenging positioning hardware, or in some cases where the wheel doesn't naturally sit straight within the fork, possibly because of hub endcap interference with the fork ends (possibly what the dude was alluding to?).
Yet another possibility is a lack of understanding of how the spring tensioning is adjusted on each pivot.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/3/14 7:50 PM

Sounds like classic "CYA"

If he feels that he has to make up ridiculous excuses to avoid admitting that he made a mistake or missed something, he's in the wrong job. The other possibility is that he's just trying to sell you expensive, unnecessary work (like a typical car dealer). Either way, you're better off to take the money you spend at the shop and use it to buy tools.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/4/14 8:16 AM

quote:
If he feels that he has to make up ridiculous excuses to avoid admitting that he made a mistake or missed something, he's in the wrong job.

Right.

He oughta be a doctor.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. Pet peeve of mine).

Sparky

8/4/14 8:35 AM

Ought to be a MD.

I was thinking the same thing actually.

I have fired a few in my day. The response is something to behold.

Wrench wise...

I just look in the mirror myself... And I have done a few boners here and there.

RCoapman

8/4/14 8:47 AM

"And I have done a few boners here and there."

Does your wife know about this aspect of your past?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/14 3:20 PM

Every body does now.

Where are you living, I forget. Pretty sure you told me, not that your moving since then is out of the question. ;)

April

8/4/14 8:58 PM

quote:
He oughta be a doctor.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. Pet peeve of mine).

That was my reaction also! Though I haven't had anything personal. Just from hearing it from my Mom, who works with doctors everyday.

But back to the bike issue. Seriously, too many people just don't understand simple mechanics! Recently, I had an argument (ok, a friendly "discussion") with someone and his ego got the better part of him and the discussion went nowhere! The matter was not helped when a guy was caught wrong on a "guy topic" by a woman! I observe the same with clean cut guys in office working clothes walking into a garage/bike shop. The mechanics often refuse to discuss the technical detail because the customer "wouldn't understand it anyway".

RCoapman

8/5/14 11:33 AM

Seattle. At least when I'm actually here. Moved here Nov1 and I've still spent less than 2 months in town with most of that being June and half of July. Heading out for an Athens to Venice trip next week.

Reply to topic    

PLee

8/5/14 4:26 PM

Ah, Athens. Monastiraki Square is a neat area. There's a restaurant by the church that serves sidewalk gyros for a few euros each - delicious! If you need a decent, inexpensive hotel, A for Athens on that square is excellent, with a rooftop breakfast bar facing the Acropolis. Good, cheep, eats and shopping in the area too. Not bad for being at the foot of the Acropolis.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -