CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Is Steve Schlanger a douche, or is it me?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/20/14 11:02 AM

Is Steve Schlanger a douche, or is it me?

Well, to be clear... I know I am a douche~. ;)

Seems like he just has to include a disrespectful preamble to Phil when he gets handed over to.

Does he not know Phil is The Pope? ;)

Posturing at the bottom of the totem pole is not usually a good idea me tinks...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

7/20/14 5:18 PM

I don't know what bothers you about him...

...but I don't find him objectionable at all. He's an awful lot better than some of the previous commentators they've had (like "Fish hair"). There's a lot of good-natured ribbing that goes on between all of the team, but that just keeps it light and fun, when it could easily become dull, repetitive and boring.

As much as I like Phil, he's become the Yogi Berra of cycling, with his amazing grasp of the obvious and redundancy. Recent examples include his remark today when it was pouring rain "I think it's going to be wet today" and also his reference to "time trials against the clock" (as opposed to what?). I love "Liggetisms", but lately, he seems to be slipping into "senile speak".

Perhaps it's a perfect opportunity to start grooming Jens to take Phil's place in a few years.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/20/14 5:22 PM

To me Trautwig was just doing the talk the talk having never pedaled the walk, so to speak.

But the wife and I find this guys pre-ambles particularly douchy I guess.

Can't disagree with you on Phil I am afraid.

dfcas

7/20/14 5:41 PM

After surviving the announcers on bein sports, anyone else is fine.

KerryIrons

7/20/14 7:25 PM

Fading Phil

I'm sorry, but I've been listening to this "Phil is losing it" talk for at least a decade and I don't really see much difference. Fill up your mental Rolodex with as much information as he has absorbed in his decades in the commentary box and I'd like to see any of you do better. (Said the old guy).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/20/14 7:33 PM

I am sure I would do NO better, in fact much worse.

Brian Nystrom

7/21/14 5:09 AM

Same here

I certainly couldn't come close to his ability and can't even scratch the surface of his knowledge. I find him quite entertaining and enlightening at times, but I do find myself shaking my head at a lot of thing he says these days. Perhaps Kerry is right that Phil hasn't changed and the real issue is that I can't remember how he's been the past few years!

Reply to topic    

LeeW

7/21/14 6:47 AM

I can appreciate Phil & Paul through their mistakes and still would rather listen to them than most others, but I'm getting exasperated with the mundane questions being asked by the live interviewers right after the race. Repeated questioning like "How did it feel to have your teammate crash and drop out" or "What's it going to take to get that stage victory" are just lame.

For example, one day last week, the interviewer cornered Peter Sagan who does well enough with English for basic communication, but sometimes misses the meaning of a question (not knocking Peter as he speaks far better English than I speak any foreign language). The interviewer (forget who it was) asked Peter the old "What's it going to take for you to get that first victory" and about anyone could see that Peter really didn't understand the question and was sputtering with a reply. The interviewer asked the same thing yet a second time and you could see the puzzled look on Peter's face.

Perhaps they would do better letting Christian VdV or Bobke do the interviews?

PS Not to hijack the thread, but what's everyone think of C VdV?
I think he's done a professional enough job for his first stint, without making a lot of mistakes or mouthing trite expressions.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/21/14 8:08 AM

I have to agree on those interviews, you can tell that those people almost know nothing about the sport and ask the stupidest questions.
It's especially noticeable when they have riders on set (something new for this year which I think is fantastic) after the stages and CVV and Bobke ask good questions, or when you catch some of Frankie's post stage interviews online which are also much better.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/21/14 8:53 AM

what's everyone think of C VdV?

Like for me.

Agree on the stupid questions. The Sagen question to me read like, "how does it feel to not win" to the guy nailing the green jersey competition with a large buffer. No clue I am afraid.

mag7

7/21/14 11:42 AM

P&P are great as usual IMO.
The bein guys were awful....one stage they talked about an HC climb as being "harder than even a Category 4 climb, the sports hardest." <roll eyes>
Speaking of roll, Bobke is much better without the zany rants and over-the-top gestures that once dominated his commentary.
The biggest flop thus far for NBC Sports is from moto-Steve P. who falsely stated that Contador crashed due to a busted bike....that led to a firestorm no doubt led by a Specialized lawyer(s).

LeeW

7/21/14 2:50 PM

I just re-watched the edited for prime time coverage of the finish of Sunday's stage.
The stupid interviewer asked Martin Elminger: "How does it feel to be in the lead for over 200 km and then be caught so close to the line".

Jeee zuzzz. How's it feel to be popped right in the mouth, Mr interviewer.
Don't these guys get any coaching in what kind of questions they might be asking?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/21/14 3:01 PM

"How does it feel to be in the lead for over 200 km and then be caught so close to the line".

Rider should have just handed the reporter the bike and said "let me know tomorrow" ;)

Brian Nystrom

7/22/14 5:20 AM

I think Christian has done a great job

Having been so recently in he peloton, he's added a different perspective on the dynamics of modern racing. I'd say hes a terrific addition to the team.

As for the reporters, yeah, they ask the same type of mindless questions that typical know-nothing news reporters do. Sometimes I wonder if they're trained to intentionally try to make a situation more painful for the interviewee, but then I realize that they're too stupid for that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/14 7:10 AM

Christian, that would be a 'like' for me all the way.
He clearly 'belongs' it seems to me.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -