HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Flickr photo access rights

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

7/18/14 9:47 PM

Flickr photo access rights

I've noticed that my Flickr account photos not only seem to not be able to be copied back to my hard drive (big problem #1), but now also are not able to be directly linked to, i.e. I can suddenly no longer right-click on a particular size of a particular photo and bring up a "properties" link at all.

I'm getting the feeling that ATT/Yahoo/Flickr is removing the account holder's rights in accessing and sharing photos.

I have many photos that are available to me only through Flickr, but not only can I not copy/paste them back to my new computer's hard drive, I can no longer link directly to individual photos other than by linking to a Flickr page with all of it's attendant "garbage".

Anybody else had similar issues or aware of any similar trends with such photo-hosting sites?

Is there a trick for extracting and copying a photo out of such a format?

I have little confidence/trust in this company, given the corporate company that they keep, and their respective track records, and I'd like to begin storing my photos more securely to say the least.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

7/19/14 3:04 AM

I don't use Flickr so these are generic replies. First, does Flickr re-size your photos for display? If so you clearly want to get at the originals if possible.

Here are some possibilities to download the pic from the display site-

1- install a javascript blocker extension for Chrome or Firefox. This way you will be able to right-click and save as. However, this may break the site completely so if that happens-

2- Use chrome and right-click anywhere on the page and select "inspect element." Some working knowledge of HTML will help you here. Go through the page and find the line that refers to the image and then you can navigate directly to the image.

Example-
I went to this page- BIKE PICS and selected a picture. I clicked the page to inspect elements and found the image filename and location. I then dropped that into the address bar to go directly to the picture https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/14271552605_af536ea625.jpg

Reply to topic    

dddd

7/19/14 8:10 AM

Thanks, Rob.

I should have mentioned that I was looking for just that, i.e. the "jpg" filename.
Also that I'm running Win8 with Internet Explorer (for dummies I guess).

So now I've just got to get Chrome up and running and look for the jpg in the element descripton.

Actually, I am able to do it using no Chrome but only I.E., so here's the photo of the bike to go with Sparky's new bike jersey, and thanks again for helping to get my photos into secure hands!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/19/14 8:57 AM

Abduction ad-on get much use here.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/abduction/?src=api

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

8/5/14 12:35 PM

I (almost) can't believe it, but flickr tightens the screws further.

Firstly, one can no longer "defeat" their "new-style" format changes by using a different language choice.

But now one apparently cannot even select a size/resolution, and clicking on the selected photo reveals no jpg file at all in the "inspect element" scroll-down descriptor.

So again, seems impossible to extract a .jpg file, so only the entire flickr page can be referred to (thus can't get photo inserted into any forum post).

Gotta love ATT/Flickr/Yahoo... ...not.

Rob, I can't seem to do it, but are you still able to extract the jpg file from the page that you sited below?:

"Example-
I went to this page- BIKE PICS and selected a picture. I clicked the page to inspect elements and found the image filename and location. I then dropped that into the address bar to go directly to the picture https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/14271552605_af536ea625.jpg "

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/5/14 1:01 PM

Yes, You have to drill down into several HTML elements.

Reply to topic    

dddd

8/5/14 1:15 PM

Thanks again. I tried drilling repeatedly, but from the start I keep getting this same flickr-page addy over and over:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/kristalong/14034007573/in/photolist-4XyRL-apB4pn-no8XvP-9vBLyG-dcqcV2-axb94X-9acDWK-bT6geB-e9CS8i-eH9sZv-9w1UQJ-bJfDeB-6jUzsK-579cwL-9ZJc8W-9bt4AC-cCujjd-5xh1Q-aQSSSX-dfvSPU/

I'm digging in the left-side scroll-down of the "inspect element" box, not finding any other pathway at my diligence level...

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/5/14 1:16 PM

I'll see if I can take some screenshots later. Maybe I'll put them on flickr. lol

Reply to topic    

dddd

8/5/14 4:00 PM

Thanks, again.

BTW, I just visited the help forum at flickr, seems that I wasn't aware of some pull-down menus on the revamped "photo page", and one of these menus (the download menu) actually has the re-size options, and which then presents the same .jpg links that I had access to before!
Someone else on their forum suggested posting such links could be a "violation of terms", so I inquired further about that. I normally would only post photos to forums or to go with my craigslist/ebay-type listings.

So for now, I seem to be good with flickr's functionality. I am still interested in the html drilling techniques though, whatever you find time to post.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -