HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

What Horner said

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

7/13/14 10:44 AM

What Horner said

In the post race interview, he said he raced that hilly stage on 6? snickers bars and 7? cokes. I assume he used a similar strategy at the Vuelta when he won it, so its clear that low tech nutrition is effective at the highest level of the sport. I use bloks because they are durable and survive months in my sweaty jersey pocket, but if I ate very many I would go low tech to rice crispy bars or candy bars to save money.

He also said he won the Vuelta with 400 watts in the heat, but on a cool rainy climbing stage he was barely hanging on at 400 watts. He said he wanted hot days to take out the bigger guys and those that struggle in the heat.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

7/13/14 11:02 AM

As I always suspected, it's an individual thing.

For the life of me, I can't keep up on the flat, of riders I easily out-climb at 80% of effort.

The light bulb came on when I, due to a bout of hormon inbalance, lost 10% of my body weight. I suddenly surged up the hill like there's a helium balloon on my shoulder!

I don't have a power meter but I suspect if I do, it'll likely show I have low and probably below average number on my power output. But since I'm under average weight even at my normal condition, that below average power output is plenty enough to get me up the hill with relative ease.

Everybody is build differently. So what works for some may not work for others. And what works for "most", isn't neccessarily the best for certain individual.

KerryIrons

7/13/14 7:06 PM

The numbers

Climbing speed is all about watts/kg. Speed on the flats is (mostly) just about watts. Somebody who is light may have a good watts/kg number but not put out enough power to be fast on the flats. It's simple physics.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/13/14 7:20 PM

I did metric on 2 bananas and 4 bottles of water Saturday. 30.9 KPH (solo) with just 407 meters of climbing.

I may have to try the snickers thing. HAHAHA!!! I may be able to 42KPH with 1500 meters of climbing.

Sparky

7/13/14 7:32 PM

" I may be able to 42KPH with 1500 meters of climbing."

And then wake up?

sanrensho

7/13/14 7:38 PM

My default solid food consists of Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix bars. They are pretty much Rice Krispie bars with oats, nuts and dried fruits. Affordable, tasty, doesn't melt and holds shape well, and comes in a decent selection of flavors.

Clif Bars are great and more calorie dense, but I find them to be hard to choke down on the bike.

Horner better keep riding after he retires or he's going to have a hard time adjusting to a healthier regular diet. But I hope he keeps riding.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/14/14 7:09 PM

Solids

quote:
My default solid food

For me while riding it's fig bars. Easy to chew (as long as they haven't dried out from sitting in the cupboard over the winter), pretty tasty, and 55 calories each.

Regards the Snickers, back when we used to ride a 170 mile TTT, we always carried a 3 Musketeers in the jersey pocket. Those things are only 30% calories from fat so they are pretty much like injecting glucose into your veins. I remember one time I got behind on the calories and was starting to feel a little light headed. I could swear that thing kicked in as I was eating it.

I suppose the Snickers would be a little longer lasting because it contains nuts. At our mid-ride breaks I like a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies and a handful of salted mixed nuts, all washed down with a Coke. Tasty, salty, and some high quality fats to smooth out the kick from the caffeine and sugar.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

7/14/14 7:20 PM

I love fig bars (as a regular snack food) but they seem to be increasingly scarce on supermarket shelves (PNW). Prices seem to have gone up as well.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/14/14 7:35 PM

Our Walmart carries the whole wheat Nutrafig bars - fig, raz, blueberry-in with the granola bars.

mag7

7/14/14 10:44 PM

PayDay and a banana for me...that's as close as I'll ever get to making money as a cyclist ;-)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -