HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OK, I know how to mount a freaking tire! [I thought]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/11/14 6:04 PM

OK, I know how to mount a freaking tire! [I thought]

I am getting my ass handed to me by a flat!

The Vit Paves went on the A23 rims fine, been riding them for over a week. Nice of that flat on Wednesday ride to wait to let the air out in the garage at the end of the day and all..

So I pop off the flatted tire, pull the little wire through to the inside. New tube, hand mount, air, go inside. Go out later and the tire is flat again. Tape had shifted and the spoke hole flatted the new tube. Pull the tape and put on a new roll, repeat, same thing. So now I am patching the tubes because ruining new tube after new tube is going to stop. Same freaking thing.

This time I pull the tape, clean every bit of tape adhesive out of every part, repeat... Diligently pull the hand mounted tire and make sure the tape is in place, it is. Pump up, flats again... Tape moved.

Pull tape, clean again, use Velox tape this time even though the Sette tape has been fine on 6 wheels so far, bought like 18 rolls of it. Repeat the hand mount, diligent scope of tape still centered, pump, let the air out and look again, tape shifted. Repeat after using talc the inside of the tire and on the tube. Inflate, let air out and look to see the tape shifter. WTF in capitol letters!. Clean it all out with lacquer thinner again, new Sette tape narrower 12mm instead of 16mm, same shit.

Took the Scott with the Conti's instead for todays ride.

Starting to think the now used and fairly stretched out tire may be the culprit.

Last bout I sanded the rim inside hoping the tape will stick better, nope...

So I have used 5 rolls of tape, 4 tubes so far...

Argh!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

7/11/14 7:03 PM

Plugs?

After a serious bout of flats with Velocity Aerohead rims where the Velox tape was either too wide or too narrow, we switched to the VeloPlugs and haven't had a problem since. I know they don't fit every rim but there are two sizes.

In all the years I used Velox tape, I never saw it move. Something strange going on there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/11/14 7:19 PM

Velocity does not support A23 with the Veloplugs. But I have googled/read a lot of folk having success with the red plugs as long as it is not the OC rim.

Did an eBay offer on a few packages to try...

Andy M-S

7/12/14 4:06 AM

Velox shifted??

I have never had Velox shift, but then.it occurs to me that when I tape a wheel, I use tape that ENTIRELY covers the bed, as in I stick on the bit to fit the valve hole, then press the edges in under the hooks, then rotate the wheel in the stand while tensioning the tape so it pulls down under the hooks.

Is that not what you're doing? Because with the rim bed filled wall-to-wall with Velox, I can't see how the tape could possibly shift.

I've seen cheap rubber-band rim strips that have shifted, but...

Post a photo, Sparky. I am extremely curious!

greglepore

7/12/14 10:24 AM

The narrow Gorilla tape cut to width (just start it and it tears like duct tape) has become my rim tape of choice.

Sparky

7/12/14 5:01 PM

I used some cheetah flavored duct tape. Rips straight once you start it. Worked first time.

As far as tape width, with tubeless compatible rims, the tape can't go all across. Tire would never mount due to the ridges.

It is all together, so no pic until I get my next flat. Super glad that flat did not happen out on the road I will say.

Will be picking up some of that gorilla tape, keep reading that it work perfect for the task...

Brian Nystrom

7/12/14 9:16 PM

I use strapping tape...

...and never have a problem with it. How much tire pressure are you running?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/12/14 9:59 PM

In these 27mm Paves, 95ish

Brian Nystrom

7/13/14 4:54 AM

That shouldn't be a problem

When you're applying the rim tape, are you pulling it really tight? If so, I don't understand how it could shift as long as the rim is clean.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/13/14 6:17 AM

Yes, tight. I can not understand either...

dan emery

7/13/14 6:20 AM

Help is on the way

This happens about every 30 years, but as of next month, help will be available:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQCCPP8aZBY

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

7/14/14 10:33 AM

just ask Gozer

nm

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -