HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

For the well-heeled weight-weenie

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

7/2/14 5:54 AM

For the well-heeled weight-weenie

Trek just announced a new line of bikes, "Emonda".

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/performance_race/emonda/

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

7/2/14 6:38 AM

More Details: As low as 10.25 Lb.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/gallery-treks-new-10-25-pound-emonde_333950

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/2/14 9:06 AM

I guess the black/red accent look is coming back around. I was thinking about covering the red stripe on my Scott with a bright green. ;)

dddd

7/2/14 11:44 AM

This Emonda marketing seems directed to an ignorant consumer, since the weight isn't race-legal, which would make the bike's 8XX-gram tubular carbon wheelset completely inappropriate to the bike's intended(?) usage.

Then there's the equally-stupid, one-piece bar/stem combo that prevents the rider from fine-tuning their bar shape, bar angle and even stem length, once the bike leaves the showroom.

As a way to sell extreme toys to the well-heeled, the Emonda does what it has to do, i.e. get the consumer's attention.
And it perhaps is intended to be a corporate "flagship" for Trek's development prowess?
Maybe the start of a weight war among bike companies? Haven't we seen this before?

This bike sure will be the easiest thing to lift up onto one's roof rack though, but I wonder what sound it will make hitting an opened garage door?

It reminds me of bikes that a few local racers ride, but which are too good to use for racing, so only get used for our admittedly somewhat competitive training rides.
But these bikes are more artistic than this Trek imo.

Trek should have made this Emonda in a more-distinctive solid lime green!
Then it could go head-to-head with my Varsity.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/14 12:05 PM

My LTD was just under $12k in 2009. Similar to the C-35 I had in the late 90s that was $8100, I never saw the original wheels on either. Arguably a big chunk of the price points.. And of course I both them both used and pretty cheap, yada...

But the Scott a solid $5k over a good Tarmac of the day. How much better is it actually? Dunno. I know I like it to ride and not hang on it the wall. But to each his/her own. OK, I like to look at it sitting by the front door ready to roll out the door. ;)

But I have no trouble keeping it 16 lb. with AL bars, stem, a rear wheel with a 20 year old Dura Ace hub, including the pedals and the bag with a 170 gram Hutchinson spare and a tube to boot. Well a boot to boot... I have no designs on making it lighter which would be easier.

I like the green machine! My next painting bout bike wise will have green in it to be sure. I like the Green White Blue Cannodale scheme big time.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/2/14 12:23 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

7/2/14 12:22 PM

The Green Machine

That is an amusing bike.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/2/14 12:27 PM

Guess I'm ignorant, I'm running an integrated bar/stem. Yeah, you have to like the bar shape, the Bonty appears to have a compact shape. Its also a world class 212g - many bars weigh that.

There is a whole world of people that like and ride reliable sub 6.8k bikes that don't race.

Yes, its a niche product. As is the R5ca and the Cannondale Black 6 and Synapse. As are Lambos' and Ferraris and well, you get my drift.

dddd

7/2/14 12:53 PM

Yes, it's all good.

The bar-stem combo does have advantages, will never slip or creak, but is probably only a good choice if carefully chosen by the buyer for their particular bike-build imo.

I missed saying that developing this Emonda likely furthers Trek's ability to build better future bikes, the more-affordable ones, due to trickle-down technology.

So hats-off to those well-heeled buyers who are funding this development.

Reply to topic    

April

7/2/14 1:11 PM

1-piece bar/stem

Can you just pick from a collection of bar/stem combo to find the one with the right width/length to suit your need?

Andy M-S

7/2/14 2:11 PM

That is an amusing bike.

This site so needs a 'like' button.

henoch

7/2/14 5:43 PM

I agree with mr lepore here, certainly this bike isn't for everyone and I'm sure that trek isn't intending to sell thousands of them, but it's "halo" product that is sexy and for the right customer is a sweet ride.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/2/14 6:56 PM

Slippery

quote:
The bar-stem combo does have advantages, will never slip or creak

Can't remember the last time I had either of these things happen.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/14 7:30 PM

I remember when I put the 10 speed DA STIs on my Strong in favor of the 9 speed ones. They are a LOT longer, thus I had to get a shorter stem or shorter reach bars. I did the stem, case in point sorta.

So I guess you could get an expensive surprise with the integral setup. But if you really want to do the super lightweight bike, hard to ignore that avenue.

dddd

7/2/14 8:42 PM

There are different "fits" for the same rider, depending on fitness level and also on what length and intensity of ride that they will be doing, so possibly a rider might want to change stem length from time to time.

I suppose a rider could just swap in a regular bar and stem for a quick fix for the fit, and then perhaps sell off the unwanted parts.
And I'd bet that one can choose the stem length of their choice when the top-of-the-line Emonda is purchased new. The lesser Emondas have normal stems BTW.

I've had stem clamps slip slightly when an unseen large bump was encountered, and was told by a fellow rider recently how he "almost bought the farm" when his bars slipped downward on a descent, but I think both of us were still using 1" clamps, while current 1-1/4" clamps should tend to be more slip-resistant.

Reply to topic    

April

7/2/14 9:38 PM

What's next, intergrated 1 piece saddle/post combo?

sandiway

7/2/14 10:12 PM

quote:
What's next, intergrated 1 piece saddle/post combo?

Been done.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

7/3/14 7:14 AM

A really talented guy named Berk in Europe does a one piece saddle and post that weights in at less than almost all of the individual saddles OR posts.

One of the most interesting thing about the Trek is the brakes, which "mainstream" a linkage design first used by WTB and now on the high end EE brakes (600 bucks a pair). These supposedly have modulation and power equal, if not superior to, modern DA at 2/3's the weight.

Specialized has just fired their own shot in the halo war with the new McLaren, which also uses the EE, and is even more expensive and less light than the Trek, but includes one off geometry.

Dave B

7/3/14 7:51 AM

quote:
The bar-stem combo does have advantages, will never slip or creak

Can't remember the last time I had either of these things happen.

I can but it was back in the days of sleeved bars and one-bolt quill stems. You're right that it's not a current problem.

BTW, this 10 pound Trek is the super expensive series-topper and there are several much less expensive (and heavier) models under it with the same model name. Every maker has an over-$10K model as it Halo bike and Trek is no exception. The UCI isn't the only game in town.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -