HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Vitt Open Pave CG 27mm - VS Challenge Strada Bianca

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/20/14 10:45 AM

Vitt Open Pave CG 27mm - VS Challenge Strada Bianca

I almost got a barely used Strada Bianca pair a while back. But a cut in one warded me off.

Found 27mm Open CG Pave for 50.00 each new. Thinking of trying them in the same vein as the Strada Bianca consideration.

For the Vitt aficionados, What is EVO VS not EVO on Vitt Tires?

I see there is both a Pave CG EVO and one with no EVO in the designation, browsing not helpful on the EVO part.

The 27s I am spying are 2013 versions, the new ones are CG III apparently..

Ciao

NO Itey or Extra Virgin Olive Oil puns please.. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

6/20/14 3:26 PM

I believe that EVO is the new iso-grip tread compound, which supposedly has better wet traction

Sparky

6/24/14 3:40 PM

27mm Paves on different rims.

Found this in a thread. FWIW

4mm pave on HED Belgium: 26.5mm
24mm pave on 3T Accelero: 26.5mm
25mm pave on HED Belgium: a touch wider than 26.5mm, like maybe 26.7 or so
27mm pave on HED Belgium: 27.7ish mm

Craig

6/24/14 10:22 PM

I know nothing about Challenge tires except I read this thread on a different forum today:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/welp-my-love-affair-challenge-stradas-came-abrupt-end-37452.html

I've been riding Vittoria Open Pave EVO since way back when they called them Open All Weathers with excellent luck except for this one mystery flat I explain half way down this thread: http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10775

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/24/14 11:14 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot that was a Pave with that square drive screw in the middle.

The ones I ordered are black striped in the tread center instead of that green center like yours.
No EVO like yours, barring the Olive Oil joke again..

Sparky

6/25/14 6:04 PM

I have been slowly trying more air, started out 75/80lb. with two 25C GP4KS. Less in front with the same sizes front and rear.

Now, tires 23C front and 25C rear GP4KS [still on the HED Belgium wider rims]. I think I found the sweet spot for the Scott, at 84/87 lbs. FWIW, I weigh 210 now. So if I did not pinch @ 75/80 when I was 218 or so... I think/hope. ;)

Sparky

6/30/14 3:55 PM

27mm Vit Pave CGs landed.

So UK to west coast 10 days, nine really? Ordered them late at night on the 20th, and they hit USPS mail before noon today.

PBK's site did not indicate CG III, but rather 2013 tires. But maybe they sent along the newer ones after they ran out of the CG non III tires? I think
the CG III is a 2014 tire. Some conjecture...

I popped two on, one narrow rim, one 23mm rim and pumped to 90lb.

Initial meas. in mm: 25w x 25.4h on a narrow Bonty rim. On 23mm wide rim; 27x x 25x.

They went on medium easy dry. A little easier on the 23mm rim.

Will measure tomorrow and see how much they have grown, which I expect they will.

In fact I am pretty sure in 10 minutes the narrow rim went from 25 to 25.4mm wide in a few minutes.

Sparky

7/1/14 12:47 PM

Today the CG on the wide rim is 27x 27, narrow rim 26x26.

First time the wide rim made such little difference since I have been using them with same tire.

Example: Hed Belgium with a 23mm GP4KS that has been on for a good while is 25.8w x 23.9h in mm.

So in the scheme of fat, the CG is still not huge.

Ride report to follow on the CGs.

The 25C Axial Pros Old stock I have been running are closer to 29mm once all stretched out FWIW. Won't fit on the Scott. ;) Not that I want a 29 on the Scott...

Last edited by Sparky on 7/1/14 4:30 PM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

7/1/14 2:39 PM

I was expecting a little growth, but also I always found that a tire's height also increased, not decreased, when installed on a (wider) rim that was closer to the actual width of the tire.

In the distant past, I had Michelin SCHD's that changed shape pretty dramatically over time on the same rims, plumping out while actually shortening in height even with no apparent tread wear. Took a couple of months on the front wheel to round out like they did.
Those HD's had a casing plies with fully woven texture, instead of overlapping unidirectional plies. BTW, fwiw...

I find it worthwhile to measure tires as-mounted, as it allows me to more quickly home in on a proper inflation pressure.

Many years ago I wrote up a tire-size database sheet for many tires I had measured, then left a copy with one of the east-coast shops I worked in.
Many years passed, I moved to L.A., then one day saw a Xerox copy of the same sheet up on the wall in Supergo's service department. The guys in there spoke mostly Spanish, so could not tell me when or from where it appeared. It was a small-world moment for me that day.

I did Sunday's fondo on mildly-worn Avocet "28mm" tires mounted on 22mm-wide Mod58 rims.
The dimensions inflated are 26W and 23H, and I couldn't be happier with the overall feel of these tires at 80psi for my 180lb bike+rider weight.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/1/14 7:18 PM

Circumfrence

quote:
I always found that a tire's height also increased, not decreased, when installed on a (wider) rim

If you think about it, the total "circumference" of a mounted tire is the width of the tire casing (spread out flat) plus the inside width of the rim, minus the bit of the tire sidewall and bead that overlaps the rim sidewall. It's reasonable that a widening rim will increase the height of the tire as long as the tire is not just "bridging" between the rim sidewalls but still bulges out to the sides.

Reply to topic    

dddd

7/2/14 12:03 PM

That makes sense to me, and gets me to wondering how a 23mm tire gets re-dimensioned by installing on one of today's ultra-wide Zipp aero rims?

Somehow it seems like the ride quality might become firmer, and at some point the tire might pinch more easily(?).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/14 12:12 PM

Been running a front 23 Conti on the wide rim as low as 80lb. But I tend to hop over stuff, or at a minimum pick the front wheel up over even short wet spots.

Also, I tend to ride the back of the bike, thus it would I think take a surprise and having more than average weight on the front. Which happens seldom thankfully.

Me, me, me, aside, this puts more weight on the rear and even a 25 @ 85 and a surprise every now and then I have not managed a pinch.

Taking the Roubaix with the CGs here in a bit. Test rode it in the sub-div @ 90-95lb last night... Seems to make the Roubaix feel less spongy, relatively speaking... ;)

Sparky

7/2/14 3:07 PM

Having stayed off the bike yesterday, 99^ here. I repeated my Monday ride on the Roubaix with the Pave CGs. Monday I took the Scott. I did not check the pressures, but had pumped them 90/95 Monday night. I felt the front was a little bouncy in some stuff, but as I said I am light on the front.

Like them fine, and the higher pressures than I was running before does diminish the spongy feel I, IMO.

This route is the first of my hillier rides for the year. A 25 mile local with nothing too serious, but a few to get you into single digits for 1-2 minutes here and there. I was staying off hills until I got my weight down. So not sure why I was 4 minutes faster today than Monday on the Scott. I still felt a some residual tightness from Monday.

These seem stickier than the Contis All Seasons, the Rubino Pros, and maybe even the Axial Pros.

The bike felt faster to me, and not saying that due to the four minutes. But what ever...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -