HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Lycra repair

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/17/14 5:17 PM

Lycra repair

I have two piece of clothing, which I like a lot, but each have an L-shape tear. While it doesn't affect the function of the clothing, I'd like to have it closed just so I don't get asked about it each time I wear them.

I've done similar repairs in ordinary clothing (cotton or synthetic). So I gatgher all I would need is a piece of same material to put in on the underside and then just a bit of needle work which I can do myself easily.

Question is where can I find bits and piece of such material? I supposed an old jersey I'm ready to discard would work. But I don't happen to have one. Also, none are in the right color.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

6/17/14 7:00 PM

You didn't say how big the L-tear is, but I have repaired these tears by backing the torn area with small piece of lycra and then adhering the lycra to the back/hidden side of the torn jersey/shorts with RTV silicone glue.

It works best to rub the glue onto a test piece to determine what amount of glue and rubbing might cause the glue to penetrate visibly to the opposite side, then use a little less glue and rubbing to each piece before pressing them together lightly and applying a flattening weight while the glue cures.
The glue sticks very well to most fabrics, so little rubbing is needed.

The RTV is highly flexible and resistant to all kinds of degradation, but the trick again is to apply the right amount to each of the mating pieces, and also to be sure the tear is closed completely.

Now it's my turn, to ask how to repair the small hole that appears at the top of the jersey pockets where each of the two divider stitchings terminates?
I noticed the other day another one occurred while I was removing the jersey and tugged too hard to get it cleanly over my head.
I am supposing my usual glue trick might be the go-to method once again.

The repair material doesn't really have to be lycra, I've even used pieces of discarded, thin, stretchy clothing like underwear to source a suitable piece.

I have gotten better over the years at not tearing clothing during the CX season, but I have also built up a wardrobe of vintage jerseys that I am always trying to keep in the game.

And oh yeah, if you try this method, use the clear silicone and be sure to practice on your most-dispensable torn jersey for your first repair, then post a photo of your first successful repair (hopefully your first one!).

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -