HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sigh, Internet...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/5/14 8:13 AM

Sigh, Internet...

It was a matter of time. The internet has evolved into an electronic magazine pretty much. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

6/5/14 8:28 AM

I have no idea what you mean by that . . .

Seems to me the internet is millions of magazines, and a lot of other stuff besides. It's a publishing medium, like the printing press, but faster and bigger and accessible to more people. Saying "the internet is . . ." is kinda like saying "the bible is . . ." It's not a thing, it's a collection of different things. It's changing society, in many unpredictable ways. Some good, some not so good, and some will be wonderfully revolutionary, for reasons we may have no clue about at the moment.

April

6/5/14 10:43 AM

"The internet" is far from being a magazine, or for that matter, even a million magazine.

The online shopping isn't magazine. The online forums (like this one), isn't like any magazine. And the online dating (or meetup groups) aren't anything like any magazine either. The social media, even though I don't use it much, are not the least bit like a magazine!

But I get what you're saying, PART of the internet is functioning like the publishing business. But tht's only if you're focusing on that part of the "internet", which is a very small part.

Sparky

6/5/14 1:47 PM

Yeah, I should have said some part(s). ;)

dddd

6/5/14 5:41 PM

Your original comment reminded me of certain ****forums websites whose web pages take forever to load, bogged down as they are with advertising "garbage".

Like a magazine that you have to flip through the first eight pages of ads just to get to the contents/index page, so it slows down getting to any material of interest.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/14 6:12 PM

"web pages take forever to load, bogged down as they are with advertising "garbage". "

I already use Ghostery and AdBlock to combat that crap. With great results I might add.

I was Googling to find the manual for something I ordered on-line and it took way to long to get to it. Even on the MFGR web site for Pets's sake.

dddd

6/5/14 11:05 PM

I'd like to have ghostery for windows8, but the next problem is which website to accept a download from, as far as them being honest.

When in doubt, I don't download, since it could contain almost anything.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

6/6/14 9:43 AM

Ghostery rocks!

quote:
When in doubt, I don't download, since it could contain almost anything.

Agreed. If you are really unsure, you can click Ghostery's Pause button and refresh the page. (Toggle on/off.) Often when I do, I reach the same conclusion as you.

Reply to topic    

Alenhoff

6/6/14 3:15 PM

Be careful what you ask for...

After spending years in the publishing business, I have to say that all the "advertising garbage" that you are finding ways to bypass is the reason that you get free access to most websites -- or, in the print world, that you don't have to pay $14.95 for a single issue of your favorite magazine.

I can certainly sympathize with the desire to get pages to load faster -- or to avoid annoying pop-ups or auto-play video ads. But someone -- you or the advertisers -- has to pay to give you the content you want.

Someday, we're all going to wake up and wonder what happened to all the major media in this country, as we pursue our "right" to access virtually anything on the web free -- and free of ad content. Kind of hard to run a business on little or no revenue, whether you're the Chicago Tribune or Facebook.

Alan

Reply to topic    

April

6/6/14 4:50 PM

quote:
someone -- you or the advertisers -- has to pay to give you the content you want.

Someday, we're all going to wake up and wonder what happened to all the major media in this country, as we pursue our "right" to access virtually anything on the web free -- and free of ad content. Kind of hard to run a business on little or no revenue, whether you're the Chicago Tribune or Facebook.

The "next big thing", amount others, will be an unobstructive way to deliver advertizement to the target at the moment the user is receptive to it!

That is, rather than force the ad upon audience in the hope they're stupid enough to remember the most annoying ad being the brand they should buy as in the old way of delivering advertisement as done on TV.

More over, I suspect advertizer will only pay when the ad is being clicked. Or perhaps, only when a purchase transaction results! So those annoying pop-ups most likely will disappear when no one click on it. And eventually, the audience will vote with their mouse which format of advertisement will survive for the next decade.

The "internet" isn't TV nor magazine, the audience interact with web site in very different mode. Currently, publishing industry simply dump a copy of their TV or print ad on their web site because they're too lazy to figure out how else to improve the effectiveness! It's a bit like having the newly invented steam engine pulling a horse carriage. They're so totally NOT understand the potential of the new power source! A few decades later, we will look back and laugh at how silly that marriage is.

Jesus Saves

6/9/14 7:56 AM

Why that's fine. Please, after you...

"After spending years in the publishing business, ....." true words, but it is much like global warming and sitting in traffic. We can all agree such is bad, but voluntarily giving up such "negative" behavior with the expectation that others will do so too, voluntarily and simultaneously, for the greater good is a pipe dream.

Reply to topic    

Alenhoff

6/10/14 12:59 PM

quote:
true words, but it is much like global warming and sitting in traffic. We can all agree such is bad, but voluntarily giving up such "negative" behavior with the expectation that others will do so too, voluntarily and simultaneously, for the greater good is a pipe dream.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, life will not be the same when the primary sources of news are bloggers and social media (and even they have been deprived of the large media -- mostly newspapers -- that provide most of their raw material).

Alan

Reply to topic    

April

6/10/14 2:41 PM

"life will not be the same..."

Different for sure, the jury is still out on better or worse.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -