HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: laptop - projector video interfaces

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

5/18/14 4:47 PM

OT: laptop - projector video interfaces

Seeking advice from the more technically savvy than I (just about anyone). PowerPoint presentations are a continuing adventure for me. I don't do them very often, but when I do it's at a national conference with lots of people there. I've avoided major problems but had a few issues, and now I'm comfortable with creating the presentation and setting up the computer. However I know nothing about the technical, equipment stuff.

Last week I show up and learn that my Dell Laptop has a Mini DisplayPort video out, which is the one port they didn't have an adapter for (I think the projector cable was VGA). Fortunately I am paranoid enough that I checked out the connection well before the presentation, and the tech staff put the presentation on their laptop and I used that, so there was no lost time.

I'm happy to carry around an adapter, but I see VGA, DVI, HDMI, and I don't know anything about any of them. For the context of traveling to large hotel conference centers, is there one adapter that would be best? Should I carry a bunch of them?

Fortunately the hotel had a good tech staff and we looked at this early, or this could have been a bit of a cluster. Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/18/14 4:50 PM

When did you last buy a new laptop?

Does your existing not have a DB15/RGB/VGA output plug/port?

I am thinking if you have a DB15 and HDMI on the PC and one cable for each you should be able to plug into 'most' projectors you might encounter.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

5/18/14 5:19 PM

Laptop

It is about a year old, and as I said, the video output is Mini DisplayPort; it is a small laptop and that is the only video output. So to connect to a projector cable with a different interface I need an adapter from Mini DisplayPort to whatever. The question is what is the best whatever. At these conferences they have a cable at the podium, and you just plug that into your laptop.

Last edited by dan emery on 5/18/14 5:24 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/18/14 5:24 PM

" At these conferences they have a cable at the podium, and you just plug that into your laptop."

Is that consistent? HDMI, or DB15 etc?

dan emery

5/18/14 5:26 PM

Consistent

I don't know, that was my question. I don't do this very often. As I said, I think this one was VGA, but not entirely sure.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/18/14 5:46 PM

Yeah, I'd say if you got DB15/VGA and HDMI and maybe a DVI/HDMI adapter to boot you should cover a high percent today. Tomorrow?? ;)

greglepore

5/18/14 5:52 PM

Yes, Sparky has it. I've yet to see a projector that didn't have a vga or hdmi.

dan emery

5/18/14 6:04 PM

Tomorrow

Thanks, I think I'll get several to be safe. In this case the hotel had an assortment of adapters, just not the one I needed. They said they had had one and some guy absent-mindedly walked off with it after a presentation.

As to tomorrow, after I buy the adapters, the projectors will probably be all Mini DisplayPort. :) Actually from what I read that's considered an advanced interface, just maybe not in wide use in this context yet.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

5/19/14 3:50 PM

displayport

Apple owns and uses the mini displayport.
I'm surprised any other company uses it.

You need a mini displayport to VGA adaptor or to HDMI...
I'm always doing powerpoints, so i carry both around.
My most recent laptop has mini displayport plus hdmi outputs.

Recent projectors have HDMI input. Older ones will use VGA.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/19/14 4:03 PM

Thanks Sandiway

Yeah, from what I read Apple and Dell use the ports. They had Apple adapters there, but according to the tech guy they wouldn't work. I'll do exactly as you, get VGA and HDMI adapters and carry them. I'm guessing most conference centers have VGA as the primary option, as that seems most common on laptops.

Cycling content: I worked a slide of my Sachs into the presentation (and related it to my topic - really!)

Reply to topic    

mag7

5/19/14 4:10 PM

Check out www.prezi.com as a potential alternative to PowerPoint.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -