CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

GP4 All Seasons or Gatorskins for Tandem?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/20/14 11:12 PM

GP4 All Seasons or Gatorskins for Tandem?

Opinions?

28C, Tandem has wide rim, and the 28C on my A23 rims sit at 28mm.

I think the gator, non hardshell, may site out a little bigger. Reading the hardshells are undersized like the GP4 maybe...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

4/20/14 11:56 PM

The GP4 All Seasons 700x28 on my wife's bike measure 26.5mm on Velocity Fusion rims.

On the tandem we use Panaracer Pasela 700x32, which actually measure 30.5mm (Mavic MA2 front rim and Module 3 rear rim). I find if I start going smaller than that, my stoker complains about getting hammered on uneven road surfaces where it's impossible for me to call out all the bumps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/21/14 12:08 AM

For sheits and giggles I just measured. The 28C GP4 on A23 are exactly 28. They run about 1.8mm less on
some Bontrager rims/wheels.

The 25C GP4KS on Belgiums is 27mm, and same tire on A23 is a touch wider. Running those on rears with 23C fronts on two bikes now. I love these wide rims.

Considering how nice the Ibis rides with the 26C tires, I don't feel the need to go bigger. I have some '32C' Specialized Nimbus laying around. They sit out about 30.2mm on a narrow rim. But they are as old as the Tranitions on the Ibis now. I actually put some Polycrilic sealer on the sidewalls on both sets of these old tires. I would try those to see how it handles, but I need some new tires for safety...

Last edited by Sparky on 4/21/14 9:47 AM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

4/21/14 9:38 AM

You're right to never trust the outer ply on a visibly-aged tire, at least as the tire's rated pressure is approached.

I, at 150# often ride aged, but generously-sized, road tires at pressures far below rated max, no problems then.

Did you mean 32mm Nimbus? You wrote 23 btw.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/21/14 10:00 AM

Yeah, 32C corrected. I just looked again at the 26C Transitions. It is 95 Recommended, 110 Max. I am surprised @ 90/95 with our gross weight we did not pinch the back honestly, and the front was not squirmy.

After a bunch of browsing, I think we will just go for GP4 All season 28C. More TPI and Vectran Breaker over the Gators. I am sure they will not last to great comparatively. But will stick better anyway. Like to try both, will start with the GP4-AS because I
have some, and try Gatorskins next. They are my fav flat resistant tire that ride decent still.

'But' I read that the weight, especially ours as we are big, the flex induced on the casing takes a major beating. So having a tire on a Tandem for 2000 miles may not be the best idea for med to big teams. One page talked about triples and quad tandems and pulling the tires and tossing @ 700 miles regardless of wear. Or use on the trainer then toss. ;)

Looking at the Transitions after one one coat of the sealer I put on, the walls are nice and smooth. I think I may put on another coat and use them up. but we will stay more recreational and flat for a while. ;) Will also try the 32 Nimbus just to see how they feel. Maybe...

dddd

4/21/14 6:44 PM

I put a pair of impressively fat 27x1-1/4" Gatorskins on one of my tandems, used it occasionally for a couple of seasons then sold it to a friend who used it for a couple of more seasons.
Between what I recall and what I was told, none of us ever got a flat, and the sidewalls held up fine.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/24/14 6:03 AM

Cult tires

As long as we're discussing tires, I'll mention my latest. I've loved Grand Bois tires in different sizes, but I've had a couple 650Bx32 that weren't round (or at least I couldn't get round on the rim) so they didn't roll smoothly, which drives...me....crazy. So I gave up remounting them and ordered a couple Hutchinsons, apparently produced by Confrerie des 650, some cult or cabal dedicated to promoting 650B tires and bikes:

http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_hutch_650_32.html

These were very weird to mount on the rim, as it was hard to keep the "mounted" section in place as you worked around the rim. However once they were on they were straight and round, and they roll great. I like the grey sidewalls as well. We'll see how they progress. I haven't received the Kool-Aid yet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/24/14 10:45 AM

I also like the Hutch Atom Comps I bought to fill an order to get free shipping. They are 23C and crazy light. Same weird mounting but once aired up these are about as close to tubular feeling for a clincher I have ridden. Not sure about flat resistance, although they do have a belt for that, and not flatted one yet. [shhh..]

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -