View posts since last visit

Cornering
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/7/14 4:16 AM

Cornering

I took this Saturday with my gopro. The road is obviously clear and unlike the camera angle I can see the entire corner.

The line is good but I could not really get into it hard because of some sand.

http://youtu.be/Jcq5JsHq5Vo

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Pat Clancy

4/7/14 8:17 AM

Fast!

Whew, you took that corner exit close to the edge. Good speed. But for the bike shadow giving it away, I might have thought you were on a motorcycle.

Andy M-S

4/7/14 8:32 AM

Hmmm....

Fast! I wouldn't be comfortable spending that much time in the other lane--but you're higher than the camera, so you likely have better sight lines.

sandiway

4/7/14 10:29 AM

Nice clear roads for riding. You obviously know the corner well.

On a descent it's often possible to see the entire corner AND exit. When it's clear I sometimes use the entire width and late apex. It's a blast when you never touch the brakes. The slingshot effect is quite satisfying.

But it's very risky when there's a lot of debris around, e.g. left behind by winter, or if never swept, e.g. Arizona.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS

4/7/14 3:21 PM

Sandiway, Correct I could see well beyond the corner, notice the clear cut trees to the right after I exit.

I checked the data from my computer and Strava. The max on the decent was 73kph, the entrance was 61kph and exit was 58kph. So not that fast at all. The speed appearance comes from the low camera and wide angle view.

I feathered the brakes and adjusted the line on the exit because of debris. You may notice a slight bobble if you look close.

I am lucky because the roads I ride are pretty much devoid of traffic as you can see.

Early in the clip you can see a warning sign for the most dangerous thing on this decent. Look close.

Sparky

4/7/14 6:40 PM

"Early in the clip you can see a warning sign for the most dangerous thing on this decent. Look close."

You? ;)

ErikS

4/7/14 7:18 PM

Nope.

Another one, no nutting driving.

http://youtu.be/eu8yC7LgGtw

walter

4/7/14 8:20 PM

my technique

Dial in major front brake pressure - firm but don't grab, backshift and match revs and feather in rear brake as needed to settle the bike, slowly let off brake pressure as you tip into corner trading braking load for cornering load, hit your apex and start adding throttle as you stand 'er up and rip down the back-straight!

Sparky

4/7/14 8:31 PM

Run into any cows ? Is that what that sign was?

ErikS

4/8/14 3:53 AM

Yep! Bovines!

Walter, that is just what I did. While wearing an "elbowz racing" jersey no less. ;)

Sparky

4/8/14 10:16 AM

Speed kills you know. ;)

I have always got some real speed on descents. Gravity don;t ya know. When you are over 200 lb and
not afraid, all it takes it a good tuck and 40+ is a given on even short descents. In my Joisey days, 50 was not too uncommon. Especially riding with certain folks, ones not afraid to do it. It always amazed me how many rides get scared and refuse to embelish when over 30MPH.

Last edited by Sparky on 4/8/14 10:32 AM; edited 1 time in total

walter

4/8/14 10:23 AM

last weekend...

...i almost high-sided on my road bike.

coming around a corner with my nose on the stem an oncoming car surprised me. tightened my line and the back-end came up on the loose post-winter detritus on the road. when it came back down and grabbed i almost got flopped hard onto the ground, motogp style!

Sparky

4/8/14 10:36 AM

Glad you didn't Walter. I remember when I put the Rubino Pros on the Roubaix last year and took a fast turn and wound up almost across the double yellow.

Still not sure if it was the tire, although it turned out it had a directional arrow and I had the front mounted backwards.[reading glasses required more and more]

Did not attempt a repeat after reversing it to the correct direction. The close calls are a 'Whew' to be sure, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, right? ;) right?? ;O

dan emery

4/8/14 12:14 PM

Match Revs?

>>backshift and match revs<<

Dude, really?

My technique is to slow down enough before the turn that I'm not going to stack it. All uncertainties resolved in favor of not stacking it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/14 12:47 PM

"All uncertainties resolved in favor of not stacking it."

Voice of experience ?

dan emery

4/8/14 12:53 PM

yes

The experience of never having stacked it in a turn (except once because of a front flat) and not intending to start. I've always said "there's a line somewhere, but I don't want to find out where it is." A daredevil descender I'm not.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/8/14 2:21 PM

Anyone remember this?

Nick Payne

4/8/14 2:56 PM

I think Specialized used that picture in their tyre advertising years back...Jobst Brandt - look at the length of the headtube.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/8/14 3:02 PM

Avocet

nm

dan emery

4/8/14 4:16 PM

Be still my heart!

I dunno, I've seen that picture a million times, dating back to some CA mail order catalog in the '80s, and my reaction has always been "like, so what?" He's leaning the bike over in a turn on a dry, clean road. I'm sure I don't lean the bike that much, and I'm sure Jobst is a much better rider than I, but I am not dazzled.

I'll admit I've read some of Jobst's pontifications and found them less impressive than others seem to.

Last edited by dan emery on 4/8/14 7:12 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

ErikS

4/8/14 6:20 PM

http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2014/04/08/how-to-ride-a-downhill-corner/

On topic article.

Sparky

4/8/14 6:27 PM

I always was a crazy bomber type. But I have to say since the tib/fib 2006 event, I don't try to go faster and even scrub from time to time. Something I never used to do. It took the busted peg for my brain to finally figure out I am not 25 anymore...

Tim123

4/8/14 6:52 PM

I would love to take a GoPro for a spin on a few of the descents around here.
Coming into Autumn now though, so often the corners can stay a little damp with a bit of leaf litter here and there which can make life interesting!

Reply to topic    

walter

4/9/14 4:31 PM

>>backshift and match revs<<

that's a moto reference.

rev-matching while down-shifting is par-for-the-course on a moto, even when riding at a moderate pace. i ride a v-twin and if you dont you risk breaking the rear tyre's traction due to compression-drag from the engine.

on the bike i dont go after it on fast downhill corners. wife, mortgage, job, etc all play into it. plus i end up killing most guys i ride with that go downhill fast on the next uphill. ;-)

dan emery

4/9/14 4:37 PM

Match revs

Actually I know what it means. I just didn't know what it had to do with riding a bike. Still don't. Do you keep a constant cadence through the turn?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -